Model Cars Magazine Forum

`40 Ford fordor + wood gas generator

JukkaT

Hi all! First post here, so I apologize for bad English

History:

During WW2 gasoline was rationed and in short supply. In Great Britain, United States, Germany and Finland, large numbers of such generators were constructed or improvised to convert wood and coal into fuel for vehicles. Commercial generators were in production before and after the war for use in special circumstances or in distressed economies.

Puukaasu_ha.jpg

hk.jpg

This is the story of expropriated car by Finnish Army during Continuation War 1941-44

starting 2door body shell

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

generator build basically by scratch

kamii.jpg

tagaa.jpg

Edited by JukkaT

• 3 years later...

Long time no see :D

Well my project delayed for quite a while, but 2017 kicked my butt and deadline for this diorama is february 18 at local model show.

sivu2.thumb.jpg.7c6457e896c8cd09e62a46e2

Jimmy Flintstones two figures going to be finnish war-era drivers at cigarette break.

takasivu.thumb.jpg.e42ae69858cf4dea51dfc

first coat dry mud painted airbrush.sivu.thumb.jpg.328a7c8105135be3f520935fb

then wet muddy. I use Baking soda mixture and brush.  96% completed. Some minor details still to do.

So very realistic looking. I'm impressed by the Boiler power plant. The four door conversion and the weathering looks perfect. Just when you think life is hard you can look at this and be thankful for not being there at that time.

Very interesting build.  The weathering is superb and your scratchbuilding skills are outstanding.  I saw one of these recently on the Discovery Channel's "Mountain Men".  Eustice, who lives in the North Carolina mountains built a similar contraption to power his pick-up.  Amazingly it did work.  Keep those updates coming.