Model Cars Magazine Forum

what do fellow modelers search for online?

When I am on mcm typically i am on e-bay and other. Model related sites as well (modelhaus) mostly e-bay though. Myself I am always looking for the mpc mustangs king cobras the 79 pace cars etc as well as the revell mercury capri rs model kits. And any other odball stuff amc. Ford pintos chevy monza's etc I was just wondering what other feLlow styrene junkies are always on the search for.....I'm * sucker for those junklots too!

As I troll through the models on eBay I look for anything unusual, things I may not have seen before. Just when you think you've seen everything in your 25 years of modeling, something odd pops up! I also like those junker lots. In the past I've been able to buy a lot of three, keep the one I want and resell the other two for the original cost of the lot. I like old builtups of 60's annuals as long as the price isn't too nuts. I also go through the diecast section looking for 1/25 or 1/24 scale stuff that can be worked. I'm also a sucker for the old Heller and AIrfix kits.

And my big passion is those old customs we built as kids. I'll buy them if they're very well done or have some unique treatment. Like this...

MVC001S-vi.jpg

Generally when I do a search it's for reference photos. Google image searches are great for finding replica stock and racecar photos.

same here, Unless I stumble across something that pops my buttons, I usually look more for reference pictures . I've already got more models than I will probably ever build

As a modeler, I don't limit myself to just cars. I would lose interest quick. I will build planes, jets, tanks, and boats from all eras. And lately, I've caught the model railroading bug. Every type of subject has tasks I love and hate. So if I didn't go from one to another, I'd get stale. So to answer the question, I can kill time here, or missing-lynx.com, or armorama.com, or aircraftresourcecenter.com, or modelrailroader.com, etc.

When online, besides being on here, I'm looking for deals on models on ebay mostly. Yesterday, I just got three open, but complete kits for $9.99+ shipping...less than $20 shipped. Craigslist around here for me has been nothing but a bust. Of the few I've contacted never got back to me, so I don't think they were serious about selling and I've given up on it all together. Also, besides the books I have, I look for reference pics for a particular build I'm working on, or for some inspiration and ideas.

and you guys who said you go hunting for photos are right. I have a huge brochure and magazine collection, all bought in the days before the internet. I reasoned that I needed it for reference on cars in general and to build models. I haven't used it in years! My first source is the Internet. Doesn't matter if I'm looking for a Chevette or a 1928 Citroen truck or even the Greyhound sponsored transporters from the NY Worlds Fair, I always find what I need. Gone are the days of just guessing what something looks like, you can always find out exactly. If you can't find it yourself a quick question on one of the model boards usually will get you the answer quickly.

My favorite places are eBay Motors, because you can find photos of nearly anything, and I find a good share of junkers and beaters that I love to build. I save those photos for reference of specific vehicles, but also of wear and rust patterns, chassis rust and grease and under the hood grime. Many sellers post 20-50 photos of a vehicle for sale so you get everything down to chassis and engine details. I save a lot of those photo sets. If you are looking for foreign cars, check out the eBay International sites. I can spend my day on the British, German and Australian sites. Go to Brazil, Mexico or Argentina to see strange variations of older US cars.

You can also find pictures of individual parts for detailing models. For instance I was doing a Plymouth Flathead six motor and had plenty of shots of the engine for details. But I couldn't really make out the plug wire channel that brought the wires up over the head. I searched and found someone selling just that piece. Suddenly I had closeup photos to scratch build just that one little detail.

If you are looking for details on how to build an early Ford without an interior or apart, there are plenty of items to find. For instance I am working on a '34 Ford, so I found a few stripped body shells for sale with multiple photos so I know exactly where to drill small holes on the firewall where the wind lace was and I'm able to add. If you want to do an interior minus panels, go look for a body shell or just a door for sale. There should be good shots that you can build from.

And if you don't find what you're looking for, check back in a week. Everything changes! Or put in a search agent to notify you when something comes on.

I also like to Google things, especially just for images. Type in any city name in the world, and "Taxi" and all kinds of interesting stuff comes up. I wound up spending hours looking at some guys albums of Saigon in the 1960s and all the cars that were in the streets when I typed in Saigon Taxi.

The Internet is a great resource for any information and hours of entertainment.

I browse ebay looking for vintage wire axle screwbottoms, 60's Monogram kits, built ups, and the Revell Parts Packs. On Friday the Revell bubbles ( 9.38 ) and the wheels from the AMT Willys/Custom 32 Ford sedan arrived. Last time I bid on the bubbles it got too expensive for me went it want past $26.

Mostly images of what ever i am building. I do look on ebay motors some. All I am really interested in now is cars and trucks and starting to narrow that down to certain decades and types. Also I like to look at dioramas even though I don't build them. Love YouTube also for videos like Doctor Cranky's. No wonder I'm on here all the time! :lol::lol::lol:

Tom- is that an old Hubley '60 Ford wagon?

Interesting enough I believe it started out as a '60 Ford convertible. The stretch and the entire roof is balsa wood. It's quite a monstrosity and when I saw it on eBay I just knew I needed to have it for my old custom collection. I wonder if it was ever entered in contests. Oh, if it could only speak!