Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Plymouth GTX (Complete plus a few progress images)

Rod

Hi

Since I'm new to the forums I have the luxury of posting some of my older builds that some of you might not have seen. This was my attempt at improving the AMT '69 GTX by adding some of the nicer parts from a Revell '69 Charger. For exapmple I used the seperate wipers and door handles. Modelhaus '68 police car caps were also added to the steelies.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

post-11453-0-95280800-1360522460_thumb.jpost-11453-0-63854800-1360522469_thumb.jpost-11453-0-53101300-1360522475_thumb.jpost-11453-0-98671600-1360522480_thumb.jpost-11453-0-20333600-1360522488_thumb.jpost-11453-0-54580600-1360522493_thumb.jpost-11453-0-66325400-1360522498_thumb.jpost-11453-0-57598400-1360522503_thumb.jpost-11453-0-90007000-1360522509_thumb.jpost-11453-0-75928800-1360522516_thumb.j

VERY nice build. But I never saw a GTX with dog dish hubcaps. GTX's were the TOP of the line model and I NEVER saw one ,even NEW with those. They usually came with full styled wheelcovers OR the Magnum 500 styled wheel. I could very well be wrong, but I never saw one. Doesn't take a thing away from your beautiful model!

Nice work on that one, Rod! I love the stance you created and all the detail you put into it, including the dirt in the rear tire tread. Did you have to do much to get those back tires to fit inside the wheel wells?

Can't wait to see what else you've built.

Edited by Monty

You could order dog dish caps with the X Back then you checked out all your options, not like todays packages which come with certain things in each package. The GTX was a certain option that you ordered and added the extras. Ever seen a GTX with buckets/center arm rest/column shift. There was one at "Mopars in the Park" in Shakopee many years ago...Rare...

You could order dog dish caps with the X Back then you checked out all your options, not like todays packages which come with certain things in each package. The GTX was a certain option that you ordered and added the extras. Ever seen a GTX with buckets/center arm rest/column shift. There was one at "Mopars in the Park" in Shakopee many years ago...Rare...

The build was based off a Minnesota car featured in Car Craft magazine a few years back that had dog dish caps. I thought it looked pretty cool.

remember, cars were ordered basically piece by piece back then, the magnum 500's could have been a deleted item. say a person wanted the upgraded interior in the GTX and cut the cost by deleting the wheel/tire combo to keep the price within thier budget. strainger things have happened back then.

great build by the way. one of the better GTX's i have seen.

My friend from High Schools GTX was equipped EXACTLY like that. It was kinda different, to say the least!

Rod - A sweeter '69 GTX would be hard to find ! Bravo !

So many MoPars of this era look great in TX9 Black , and your version here certain exemplifies my assertion :) .

As far as wheels for 1969 Plymouth B-Bodies :

The only mandatory / standard wheel I can recall is that the Hemi option *had* to be equipped with 15" wheels . For 1969 , this limited one's choice to :

- Plain wheels with hubcaps ;

- "Recall" Kelsey-Hayes cast wheels , or ;

- Steel wheels with deluxe wheel covers .

Of course , that has little baring on your "black beauty" ! Keep up the great work !