1/24 Monogram Boot Hill Express

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yep, 'bout time for this one to be reissued, this time under the Monogram "Car Show" label. I can't say I've ever completed one of these kits, but I have worked on a few and recall a good fit between most of the parts, some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front, a great set of the sidewall insert Monogram pie-crust slicks with matching American Torq Thrust mag wheels, and some well done, chrome-plated early Hemi valve covers. The two-piece(?) Moon fuel tank is decent, too, and if you're into skeletons and ten gallon hats, you're gonna need a few of these in your stash. :D If you like detail painting and trying to make styrene look like fabric, this is definitely the kit for you, as the entire closed in body area is wrapped with and covered by fabric.

Not sure if this one's out yet or not, as Model Roundup still has it listed as arriving in early March, but the box art is viewable:

RMX-4999-2.jpg

lmons4999.jpg

Posted · Report post

Built one A LOOOOOONG time ago, and don't remember any issues .

I have one on the shelf for a future just in case .

Posted · Report post

Yep , this one needed to be reissued . It's one of my "old" favorites and there are a lot of great parts for kit bashing .

I bet those skeletons have been used more than any other figure ever !

Posted · Report post

Mybe if this one does well they will re-issue the Lil Coffin and the Red Baron

Posted · Report post

RPP's (and eBay'ers it seems like <_< ) should have it around the 20th, regular Revell dealers around the first of the month.

I've always wanted to build one of these, but never owned one. For years I thought it was one of Tom Daniel's creations, it wasn't until very recently I discovered it was a real show car!

Posted · Report post

"some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front"

Yeah, the real BHE has some serious rubber rake, the slicks probably need to be even bigger (new AMT hollow slicks, perhaps?) and the fronts need to be way smaller. Monogram made them pretty much the same size, but the kit still has the proper stance despite it.

I wonder if the ones in the AMT 56 Ford would work, size wise? They'd need to be narrowed, of course. They always have needed it, since they're sized to fit a normal passenger car tire.

Funny, but the instruction sheet for the upcoming reissue of that kit shows a different skinny front "racing tire" for them, wonder if Round 2 has modified them? Have to wait and see, I guess.

Posted · Report post

Looking for some pictures of the actual ride.I remember seeing it back when it was new and making the ISCA rounds ( yea I'm old )

http://www.google.com/search?q=boot+hill+express&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FywZUZutLoaE0QGptoC4Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=581#imgrc=_

There are some really wild looking rides here

http://www.losboulevardosmessageboard.com/showthread.php?4460-Show-Rod-pictures/page3

What the heck were they smoking back then

Posted · Report post

Straight from the darkest days of the show car era to your hobby shop shelves.

Posted (edited) · Report post

on a similar subject.

Anyone ever put any kind of list avail of the old show cars that are / were avail in 1/25th - 1/24th scale ?

From out there builders like Roth, Barris, Jeffries, etc etc etc

I got to look at Dean Jefferies Mantaray up close last year and that car just drips coolness

Edited by gtx6970

Posted · Report post

I built one back in the early 70's. I have one on the shelf waiting for me to get around to building it some day.

Posted · Report post

I've got photos of the 1:1 Boot Hill Express that I took a while back, but I won't be buyin' the kit as I have PLENTY to build already.

Posted · Report post

on a similar subject.

Anyone ever put any kind of list avail of the old show cars that are / were avail in 1/25th - 1/24th scale ?

www.showrods.com has a good list, though I'm not certain it is "complete", in the strict definition of the word. The Coffin Corner forum also has a lot of show car themed builds and topics, too.

"some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front"

Yeah, the real BHE has some serious rubber rake, the slicks probably need to be even bigger (new AMT hollow slicks, perhaps?) and the fronts need to be way smaller. Monogram made them pretty much the same size, but the kit still has the proper stance despite it.

They are almost perfect for a 15" 1/16 scale wheel, but I think the real spindle mount 12-spokes were closer to 18" instead of the usual 15" spindle mount front wheels.

Those are some seriously "fat meats" on the back of the real BHE, and yes, the AMT large/wide rear M&H slicks would probably be perfect. :)

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure if there were 2 Boothill Expresses, or 2 versions. Look at the difference in front tires/wheels. The kit is close to the first pic. Looks like the first wheels may have been 16-18" as used on fuel altereds, while the second is obviously 15" as used on gassers and funny cars.

2881022833_c57d535d57_z.jpg

BoothillExpress.jpg

Posted · Report post

I doubt there were 2 of these, probably more a case of subtle changes over it's lifetime. The actual BHE is still around

on a similar subject.

From out there builders like Roth, Barris, Jeffries, etc etc etc

I got to look at Dean Jefferies Mantaray up close last year and that car just drips coolness

here is a site that has a lot of show rods,don't know if its complete,click on the name of the car and info and box art will open

http://www.showrods.com/home_page_links/alpha_list.html

here is one I've never seen or heard about

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/sonny_cher.html

Edited by 440 Dakota

Posted · Report post

Glenn it wasn't uncommon for show car owners to change bit and pieces here and there or to re-paint to freshen the cars up for another show season. The pictures I have seen show it with different types of front rims and Torque Thrusts on the back with pie crust slicks, and then there other pictures show it with larger Cragar S/S and huge slicks. It sold at RM Auctions recently for $85K I believe.

Posted · Report post

here is a site that has a lot of show rods,don't know if its complete,click on the name of the car and info and box art will open

http://www.showrods.com/home_page_links/alpha_list.html

here is one I've never seen or heard about

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/sonny_cher.html

Thanks for the links.

Some of the kits back then were really out there

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure if there were 2 Boothill Expresses, or 2 versions. Look at the difference in front tires/wheels. The kit is close to the first pic. Looks like the first wheels may have been 16-18" as used on fuel altereds, while the second is obviously 15" as used on gassers and funny cars.

2881022833_c57d535d57_z.jpg

That's a little closer to what Monogram gives us, but I think it still needs more meat on the back. And I think it looks better with the rubber rake... B)

There were two: the one with the 18" 12 spokes is the original and has an early Hemi; the second one was a 'glass replica built for exhibition runs at drag strips. That's the one with 15" wheels and it had a 426 ci late Hemi.

I recall the '80s issue of the BHE had Monogram's Goodyear Blue Streak slicks - wonder why they went back to the pie crusts with this one - licensing again?

Edited by dodgefever

Posted · Report post

I just finished building the original 1967 issue of the Boot Hill Express. There was one issue I did find annoying, and that was the way the body is supposed to be mounted in step 6 to the frame. You have to slip the body up under the rear pan(which was mounted to the body in step 4, which is not clear how it is to be mounted either), and slide the frame back against the rear wall of the body. I cut the channels on the rear pan out so the frame would slip in easier. Otherwise, there was an excellent chance of beaking the frame trying to "snap" it in there. I also found out that some of the parts are very fragile(I don't know if it was because the age of the plastic had made it brittle).

Having the "Bone Ranger" reissued is a plus in my opinion. He was a little fussy to put together, but he now stands proudly, leaning against his ride.

There were two: the one with the 18" 12 spokes is the original and has an early Hemi; the second one was a 'glass replica built for exhibition runs at drag strips. That's the one with 15" wheels and it had a 426 ci late Hemi.

I recall the '80s issue of the BHE had Monogram's Goodyear Blue Streak slicks - wonder why they went back to the pie crusts with this one - licensing again?

Thats what I was suspecting Stu. I have seen pics of the exhibition car, and the changes seem to indicate what you said. According the the H.A.M.B. this is the exhibition version. Talk about a scary ride!

boothill_IMG_jpg.jpg

Edited by Draggon

Posted · Report post

Yes, as was stated, there are two different cars. I have read that the rollbar was removable on the exhibition version. I think I have seen a picture on the HAMB of the two of them together. Cant wait to get my hands on this kit again, have not built it since I was a kid. hopefully they will bring out the lil coffin too. I will buy a case of them if they do.

Posted · Report post

On preorder for this. Now where's the Beer Wagon?

I managed to find a NIB Red Baron and Rommel's Rod on my LHS shelves a couple weeks ago. With their sub-ebay price tags intact. They are the reissues, but I wasn't expecting to see both of them hiding behind a sign when I went in. Not sure why I never looked behind it before.

Posted · Report post

This I would buy, again! :lol:

Had the original and built it but nieces and nephews sticky fingers and brushed on gold enamel didn't go well together along with breakage and multiple repairs.

It eventually wound up in the parts box.

When it was released again I bought it and it ended up cannibalized for parts for other builds.

So just maybe this time....................................................... :lol:

Posted · Report post

Just got my my boot hill x-press an I always read on the side box to see how much (if any) is American made an was very happy to see this >>> plastic parts molded in USA...packaged in USA...tires molded in USA...box printed in China. not bad R/M three outa four ain't bad. thank you very much REVELL-MONOGRAM for bringing it home to the good ole USA !!! :D