Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP '59 Corvette 3-in-1 Kit ala Watson, Paint Phase 2!

John Goschke

Yeah, I know there at least three better kits of the '58-'60 quad-light Corvette, but there's something satisfying about taking an old unbuilt kit and trying to get the most out of it without getting bogged down by "Advanced Modeler's Syndrome (AMS)."

I was fortunate to acquire this nice example of AMT's first Corvette kit from a member of our model club for a fair price. Because AMT's '60 kit has been re-issued so many times over the years, the price on first-issues of the '59 and '60 aren't nearly as crazy as those for the other vintage annuals that saw only one issue.

For my purposes, the virtue of the original '59 kit was that it didn't have an engine or opening hood, in addition to being different from all the reissues of the '60 (including the one labeled as a '59) in that it had a correct '59 interior (however crude.)

59Vette1-vi.jpg

59Vette4-vi.jpg

59Vette9-vi.jpg

Here it is mocked up after quite a few hours of mold-line cleanup, fit, and stance adjustment, including moving the left front wheel forward about 1/16" and the right rear wheel back a similar amount! It also takes a lot of work to get the windshield to fit properly in this kit, and like many AMT/SMP kits from '59 and '60, the clear parts suffer from internal stress cracks (so, the windshield may get replaced with some clear sheet before final assembly.)

59Vette15-vi.jpg

59Vette16-vi.jpg

59Vette17-vi.jpg

The little dummy spots are from a '62 Ford kit, and the Lancer caps are from a 1960-vintage AMT kit. The lakes pipes are scratched from styrene rod, strip, and hex rod -- they'll get a coat of Alcad. The paint job will be similar to a '58 Corvette Larry Watson painted for LaVonne Bathke in 1959 or '60 -- candy red, silver insert, with off-white panel outlines. I'll be skipping the red and gold flames Larry did in the coves!

59Vette18-vi.jpg

59Vette10-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Some detail painting adds a little life to a pretty crude chassis, including one of the more ridiculous interpretations of a Chevy V-8 and trans ever seen!

59Vette19-vi.jpg

Cutting the floorboards out and replacing them with sheet styrene is the quick way to get rid of the HUGE injector pin marks that are usually on the floors of old AMT and SMP kits. Cutting a panel line for the inside door panel adds a little bit of realism to the interior.

59Vette20-vi.jpg

59Vette21-vi.jpg

The tires are from a mid '60s AMT Craftsman kit with the WWs painted with Polly S acrylic. The wheels are from the original Corvette kit but a 3/64" spacer is needed behind them because the inside of the tires is deeper than the kit tires. A little Tamiya Pearl White brushed onto the chrome headlight lenses helps a bit.

59Vette22-vi.jpg

59Vette23-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

My all time favorite Vette,,so I'm in.

Is the SMP kit the only way to get a nice representation of a 1959 Corvette. ? I want one for myself but all

I keep seeing are the AMT car but fear they are all the one with the to small headlights .

Thanks for the comments, guys! Much appreciated! Took it all apart and shot primer last night along with the base coat on the lakes pipes. Hope to shoot the silver on the body tonight, then, if everything goes right, mask the coves and shoot the Tamiya Mica Red primary color (spraying it over the silver results in a great "candy" effect that's more subtle than shooting clear red over the silver.)

Bill, the best '59 Corvette is Revell's recent modified reissue of Monogram's "Pro-Modeler" 1/25th '58 Corvette. I've not seen the '59 version but the '58 is superb. Apparently '59 comes with a hardtop not present in the '58. If you can deal with the multi-piece body, Revell did a nice '59 Corvette in about 1959 or '60, that's been re-issued a couple times, most recently in the "Skip's Drive-In" series. MPC did a '60 in the 1960s that's been reissued several times. It's a detailed kit with many virtues, but is hampered by a lousy interpretation of the shape of the side coves.

Bill, the best '59 Corvette is Revell's recent modified reissue of Monogram's "Pro-Modeler" 1/25th '58 Corvette. I've not seen the '59 version but the '58 is superb. Apparently '59 comes with a hardtop not present in the '58. If you can deal with the multi-piece body, Revell did a nice '59 Corvette in about 1959 or '60, that's been re-issued a couple times, most recently in the "Skip's Drive-In" series. MPC did a '60 in the 1960s that's been reissued several times. It's a detailed kit with many virtues, but is hampered by a lousy interpretation of the shape of the side coves.

Thanks for the info. And sorry for the slight hijack

I guess I on the hunt for another kit for the closet

Great looking build. These years of Vettes are my second favorite behind the 63-67's. Yours is coming out fantastic. I can't wait to see it with the paint you have planned.

You wouldn't happen to know the kit number or can you post a photo of the Revell reissue of Monogram's Pro Modeler kit? I'm interested in it but can't picture it.

Later-