Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Custom parts for Pickups

Chuck Most

Just stumbled across one of these late '70's parts packs. This one isn't 100% complete, but I figured a few of y'all might be interested in seeing what's in there.

The box-

BUB001_zpsc797c540-vi.jpg

The instruction sheet... say, doesn't that look like an MPC Dodge kit? There's also what appears to be an AMT '72 GMC kit on one of the box side illustrations... as far as I know Revell never did a late '70's Dodge pickup or a pre '72 GM truck.

BUB002_zps72821a38-vi.jpg

Two stepside beds- one for compact trucks, the other for fullsize trucks. The hood scoop is also on this sprue.

BUB003_zps857952ca-vi.jpg

Wheels, flares, rollbar, and bed cover. The bed cover is scored at the bottom, you use it as-is for the fullsize bed, or cut out the scored part for use with the compact bed. The wheels are dinky- about the same diameter as Revell's modern Lowrider kit wheels.

BUB004_zpscf1dfc86-vi.jpg

BUB005_zps3e98c8ad-vi.jpg

That giant grid is the custom grille material. There's enough here to do at least three trucks. The custom quad headlight bezels look an awful lot like '66 Olds pieces. All lenses are chrome.

BUB006_zps35d58cd8-vi.jpg

Wheels, lights, bumpers (again differing for compact and fullsize trucks) and winch. As with the non-plated wheels, the plated ones are a bit on the small side.

The non-chrome wheels look to be the same ones used with the various dirt bike/off-road/wet bike trailers in combo kits. The fenders are California Stepside fenders and Revell put them in all sorts of kits that they probably shouldn't have: Ford Courier, Datsun 620, Chevrolet C10, etc.

Thank goodness Revell had the sense NOT to include some of their horrible two-piece Goodyear Radial GT tires in this kit. No glue exists which can keep both halves together! :lol:

There was also a Parts for Custom Vans kit, too, which basically contained various parts from the Revell 1/25 scale Chevy van kits...

...and again suggested via the instruction sheet to use the parts on an MPC kit, this time the '71-'77 Dodge vans:

Thank goodness Revell had the sense NOT to include some of their horrible two-piece Goodyear Radial GT tires in this kit. No glue exists which can keep both halves together! :lol:

Not so fast! I have both the Van and Truck custom parts kits, and both of them had those tires in them :D .

Wonder who the person was who suggested the idea of two piece vinyl (rubber?) tires? Since I haven't seen them in many kits, I wonder if that person got demoted? :lol:

I think it was some guy who worked for Revell in the late '70's... for a VERY short period. Maybe the intern who got coffee for the engineering staff or something. They dropped the practice pretty quickly, but unfortunately they still reiusse many of the kits that way. :wacko:

• 3 years later...

I have Several of the Old Revell kits withthe 2pc tires

They were NEVER Vinyl OR Rubber

Those tires are more in line with "Delrin"

Or what Model Railroader now calls "Slippery Engineering Plastic" to avoid

trademark.

And true, NO glue would work on them like for Styrene parts

Elmer's or similar "White" glue

Or  other Crafting glue (Ailene's) will hold them

But, Gluing the inner & outer rime was what was meant to hold the together in the first place so......................

My guess is some here did not get a good joint in the rims.

Unless I took them apart NONE of mine have separated

I built the Yellow Molded Bre-510 Back when first issued. Still together to this day

Might even have a tri-5 Chevy with them on it and still holding together!!!!!