Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camaro is American again

GM has announced that the next generation Camaro production will shift to Lansing, Michigan. Ever since 1992, all Camaros have been built only in Canada, but once the current generation is history, they will once again be built right here in the good old U.S. of A.

I wish modern iterations of muscle cars would restore the classic, rumbling, exhaust sounds. The biggest disappointment of my C4 Corvette was its utter silence unless I was winding it out and getting the whine, and I couldn't afford aftermarket stuff. I was just reminded of this about five minutes ago, when I saw the first 60s Shelby Mustang GT that I've seen in decades as it went down the block; the exhaust sound was a wonderful thing. It sounded just like James Garner's personal Shelby GT in "Grand Prix."

Edited by sjordan2

It would be great if GM would put the light dimming switch back on the floorboard. My all time favorite joke but is outdated.

General Motors announced today that it would be putting the light dimmer switch back on the floorboard of it's vehicles as there are too many(place favorite school name here, Purdue University for example) engineering graduates getting their feet tangled up in the steering wheel.

I wish modern iterations of muscle cars would restore the classic, rumbling, exhaust sounds. The biggest disappointment of my C4 Corvette was its utter silence unless I was winding it out and getting the whine, and I couldn't afford aftermarket stuff. I was just reminded of this about five minutes ago, when I saw the first 60s Shelby Mustang GT that I've seen in decades as it went down the block; the exhaust sound was a wonderful thing. It sounded just like James Garner's personal Shelby GT in "Grand Prix."

You can thank the EPA, nanny-staters and other malcontents who are afraid of noise. While noise is a concern, some noises are not at all offensive. A good aftermarket exhaust system, however, can fix that problem very quickly, and usually not for too much money.

It would be great if GM would put the light dimming switch back on the floorboard. My all time favorite joke but is outdated.

General Motors announced today that it would be putting the light dimmer switch back on the floorboard of it's vehicles as there are too many(place favorite school name here, Purdue University for example) engineering graduates getting their feet tangled up in the steering wheel.

:lol: Beautiful!

Charlie Larkin

Don't get me wrong I love America.. but if it is made here in the good old USA then this will be the result... over priced, over taxed, under powered, and made to fall apart 1 day after the warranty expires. to force new sales!! and feed the Ego of the EPA!!!

i Agree with you 100%

GM has announced that the next generation Camaro production will shift to Lansing, Michigan. Ever since 1992, all Camaros have been built only in Canada, but once the current generation is history, they will once again be built right here in the good old U.S. of A.

Are you allowed to say that here?

:unsure:

With how many foreign made parts??? :lol:

I think the term is "assembled". :rolleyes:

Well, yeah. It will be assembled in the US, which is the same thing as built in the US, which is what I said in the first place... :rolleyes:

...with parts sourced from around the world. But using parts from all over the world isn't unique to GM... every automaker does it.

Guest G Holding

Harry....make that North American

Must not have been around a Laguna Seca Mustang....Dual exit exhaust...WOW !!

Im from the oshawa area ,and this is another reason why I dont like GM.Our federal and provincal governments bailed them out,then they say thanks by shuting lines down.U.S. potectionism plan and simple .Just my little rant about the auto biz,nothing personal

I didn't see any Canadian Bailout help that GM got.??..AND OUR govt has spent my tax dollars to bail out a private mis-managed company...

Well, yeah. It will be assembled in the US, which is the same thing as built in the US, which is what I said in the first place... :rolleyes:

...with parts sourced from around the world. But using parts from all over the world isn't unique to GM... every automaker does it.

Thus negating the term "American Built Cars" as far as I'm concerned.

Should say "Global Built Cars" instead. :rolleyes:

Evidently, some people don't care that this means more jobs for Americans, or don't understand that we live in a global economy. We in Tennessee are enriched for the many jobs that are provided by Nissan and VW, plus parts manufacturers like Denso, among many others. Wake up. Or maybe we should petition GM not to change anything because we're not going to like it anyway.

Edited by sjordan2

Evidently, some people don't care that this means more jobs for Americans, or don't understand that we live in a global economy. We in Tennessee are enriched for the many jobs that are provided by Nissan and VW, plus parts manufacturers like Denso, among many others. Wake up. Or maybe we should petition GM not to change anything because we're not going to like it anyway.

I guess for them its either all or none, oh well, least there are more jobs coming back to America, and that alone is a very good thing.

I swear,there are people here that will complain about everything, even if its good, but makes for some entertaining reading sHa_popcorn.gif

Edited by martinfan5

Well, I also thought Canada was in North America. To me, they're American made regardless of where the dadburn river is. Or the lake. Or the dotted line on the map.

American made is good enough. Or, American assembled.

{PS: My Malibu is a Californian. My S10 is a Canadian. My Volkswagen Passat is a Tennesseean. My Model AA is from Dearborn. The Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B is Scottish and Irish. I'm English and Swedish. Our dog is Dutch. We all get along just fine. B) }

Well, I also thought Canada was in North America. To me, they're American made regardless of where the dadburn river is. Or the lake. Or the dotted line on the map.

American made is good enough. Or, American assembled.

{PS: My Malibu is a Californian. My S10 is a Canadian. My Volkswagen Passat is a Tennesseean. My Model AA is from Dearborn. The Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B is Scottish and Irish. I'm English and Swedish. Our dog is Dutch. We all get along just fine. B) }

imagesqtbnANd9GcS5ZiBuqmArbPHKxoPiN_zps0

:lol: I actually prefer the floor-dimming switch!

I'm glad production is coming back to the US...I hope EVERY company does this gradually...

I'm wondering why you felt this change in the 1:1 car world warranted a post on here? This is a forum for scale models of cars, not real ones. If there was a change in the country that any of the model manufacturers molded their scale Camaro kits in I could see perhaps making mention of it but the reason you felt the need to post this is a mystery to me.