Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old build from 1989: International 4300 Eagle

I just wanted to show you one of my latest (!) truck builds: ERTL's IH 4300 Eagle, built in 1989 - I stretched the frame, fabricated a big sleeper combining 2 sleepers and some plastic sheet, a third tank from a second kit, front bumper from Revell, license plates from Italeri.

As there were no such decals existing then, I hand-painted the cab-hood-sleeper in a rather simple way.

A few things I would make in another way today, and the truck would need a little TLC to eliminate its shortcomings, but: too many kits - too little time...post-11195-0-65261700-1360696839_thumb.jpost-11195-0-62584400-1360696939_thumb.jpost-11195-0-21973800-1360697051_thumb.j

You did a beautiful job on that, Helmut!!!!! I made that sleeper as well and had it cast into resin and I then had a guy in Canada draw up the Eagle and make it into decals. Jerry at ModelTruckin Decals sells them now.

ever thought of reissue on that sleeper? i'd be in for one. and how are you progressing on your wt9000 kit?

I do want to reissue that sleeper but I'm going to fix an area that had some scratches from sanding that couldn't be seen until it was cast into resin. The Ford is still in progress as well. I have a friend trying to get some photo etch made for it.

Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM

You did a beautiful job on that, Helmut!!!!! I made that sleeper as well and had it cast into resin and I then had a guy in Canada draw up the Eagle and make it into decals. Jerry at ModelTruckin Decals sells them now.

Ben Wicker

--------------------------------------

Many thanks for your kind words, Ben.

I have sent some pics back then to Evan Hermel and one was published in b/w in his Model truck column in SAE (must have been in the early '90's - long before I had Internet and before Jerry made those decals. The wings of my hand painted eagles are too short - they should have reached from the edge of the sleper cab up front to the chrome grille. But when I discovered this, it was almost too late !

Hi, Robert!

Many thanks - but there are several issues on this though I tried to hide them as good as possible.

The only way you could see such trucks in Austria was in one of my trucking books (Here: American Trucks II by David Jacobs from ca. 1980 with a nice side/front view of this rig)- today you can easily find them on the internet.

First I made an in-scale-drawing of hood/cab/sleeper, then I made a sketch of the eagle, transferred this to self-adhesive transparent foil- symmetrical for both sides !

After the whole thing was primered (the eagle as well as the edges of the hood are the almost perfect light tan color of the Duplicolor Auto Primer I used back then), the eagle was masked, then the orange was sprayed on (it is a bit too reddish), after masking the lower orange part, the rest was painted black (spray cans here, I've got no airbrush equipment). To make drawing of the feather easier, I sprayed matt clear, the used a pencil so I was able to make necessary corrections to the feathers.

After drawing the feathers with some black marker and filling them with a small paint-brush, everything got some final shots of clear and voilà - the eagle has landed.

Excellent work, Man....The hand painting is great....Even if you say it isn't accurate, it captures the look and gets the point accross in a big way....I like it and wouldn't change a thing....Maybe build another one and use decals from Jerry and display them side by side to show your skill progression....This looks great...

• 3 months later...