Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th scale helicopter

Here's an off the wall question. Would anybody like to have a resin helicopter...1/24th scale? I'm just putting feelers out coz I Have a Hughes 500D civilian helicopter. I need to do some research coz there is a few missing parts that I need to scratch build. I don't have pics yet, so the best way to describe it is...do you remember Magnum P.I. ?? It looks like that one that was in the show. It would be quite awhile before I casted it. Need to get correct details worked out before I do any mold work. Just wondering, coz this would make a cool police chopper or " bear in the air" ! Hope I put this in the right spot, not selling anything...yet LOL!!!

You mean T.C.'s chopper, like this?:

Revell%204416%20Magnum%20PI.JPG

I built that kit as a little kid... and by 'built' I mean eff'd up with a bunch of glue and bad decal work.

It would be col to see something in resin, a different build for sure.

Well, it's not T.C.'s chopper, it's made by Hobby Craft...in 1981. It looks similar to T.C.'s and is most certainly 1/24th scale. I also have the 1/24th Huey chopper...it's got Rambo on it! LOL!! It would be nice if they reissued it, but I don't think they are in buisness anymore?! I'll try to get pics soon...to show ya what I'm talking about. I gotta do some work to it though...I would never offer it incomplete. I dunno, I just am a freak for helicopters!! And in this scale...WOOHOO!!!!

The Hobbycraft kit is a Hughes 500 in 1/24 scale. They sold it in several versions, including a military and a police version. I have one of the police kits on my 'some day' list to do. It was a very popular chopper in the police biz back in the 80s/90s. CHP had several. The Revell chopper is the same one, only 1/32 scale. The 1/24 kits do pop up on eB every now and then.

Monogram's old short-body 1/24 scale Huey that Casey showed has been reissued by Revell and it's available now. http://www.squadron.com/product-p/rm5633.htm

Don't recast an existing kit. It's fine to make detail parts to use with the kit, but to recast the entire thing is a no-no. No matter how old it is or how long it has been out of production. Revell is still in business and they own that kit.

I've got one complete, virgin Hobby Craft Hughes 500 MD / TOW in 1/24, kit # HC2701, made in Korea for Hobby Craft Canada....nothing remotely like a Bell Helicopter Huey. Instructions in English and French. Got a couple of 1/24 Hueys too. The Hughes 500 is a simple kit, but looks to be crisply tooled and reasonably accurate. No internal details like the Huey (the Revellogram Huey has a simple Lycoming T-53 turbine and gearbox that I've already seen repopped in resin).

I looked at the Hobbycraft Canada website and they appear to be in business, but the Hughes 500 isn't on the list of currently available kits.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Monogram's old short-body 1/24 scale Huey that Casey showed has been reissued by Revell and it's available now. http://www.squadron.com/product-p/rm5633.htm

Don't recast an existing kit. It's fine to make detail parts to use with the kit, but to recast the entire thing is a no-no. No matter how old it is or how long it has been out of production. Revell is still in business and they own that kit.

OOOH, I'm glad you said that man...guess I won't be doin that!! LOL!!

Revellogram has reissued the Huey. It IS available. I have 4 of them I also have 2 more of the Hobbycraft Hughes 500 MD/TOW. The 500 is VERY basic but it builds into a VERY nice model.

Dang George, I'm jealous now!! LOL!!! You got the military version??? Sweet!!

I'm taking Chief Joseph's advice...I'm NOT gonna cast that chopper!! I blabbed about it before doing any research like a big stoopid moron!! I didn't think that Hobby Craft was still making kit's. Or , for that matter, who might own the rights to it! DUH!! I could of stepped into a big pile of doodoo!!! :wacko: Lessen learned!!! I'll just go and kick myself in the rear, thank you!

I have one of the M*A*S*H Chopper kits.

Wish I could find the Swamp/Jeep set & the truck kit too!

Did you know Aurora has planned on doing the Bat Copter???

Deanguy1 has offered the dealer sheet/pictures for it on that evil site.

I too would love the Hughes in 1/24 scale. L.A. County Sheriff Please!!!!

240-Robert Air.