Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford barn find

I built this AMT Ford about 6 months ago while thinking about building a diorama. The only problem is I have never built a diorama and don't have a clue how to start. I built it as an old farm truck waiting to be restored. This is the first time I opened a door on one of my models and it didn't turn out as I would have liked, so I will just use the experience as practice. The battery box was opened and the interior was gutted. I topped it off with a rag for a gas cap, southern style.

Edited by Evilbenny

Love it!!!! Nice job on all the rust and weathering. I particularly like the battery box cover, the bed boards, and the shop towel gas cap, you've got to have that. Fantastic job on the model!!! I'm kind of with you on building a diorama, I'm sure we could find plenty of help on here if we would look for it. It almost seems like a whole different art form to me, like doll houses but, I guess if you include cars and trucks it could still be manly. :lol:

I dont like the door because I didnt think about the dash being visable when I put in the hinge. I was not thinking that once the door is opened it will be visable. I think we are on the same page RMVW guy. The diorama is a different artform for me also. It is so far out of my comfort zone.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the stripped down look with the fenders off. Also, the bed (or what remains of it) is spot on. The battery box is an especially nice touch.

As far as diorama building goes, there's allot of inspiration right here on this forum but for more how-to stuff I would recommend some of the military modelling sights. Jenny's Tanks & Things is a great resource.

Thanks for all the great reviews. I cut up the kit bed and hacked some pieces off to give it a rotted look and laid down some plastic strips to simulate the floor rails. I used the grill off of the ford flip nose 53 because it didnt have the "Teeth" in it. I removed the crome in the purple pond and painted it white to begin the wearhering process. Most if not all of the early 50's Ford trucks had painted grill's and were later chromed by people wanting to fancy them up. I removed the headlights because they were terrible to begin with and wouldnt look right on this type of build.