Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for my first large scale model

Hello all

I am thinking about giving a large scale model a go. What whould be a good starter model. Ihave around 100-125 for my first kit but i dont want to drop money on a kit that is troubled. things like what brands to stay away from or hey this is a real good one in your price range would be helpful

Thanks for your time

How large is large?

The 1/8 scale Monogram Corvettes, Big T, Big Deuce, etc. are all pretty straightforward, basically just bigger versions of 1/24 scale kits. They would make a good first big scale kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monogram-Corvette-Coupe-1985-1-8-Scale-New-In-Box-/400386986447?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d38ec91cf

Gary, as Harry and Jonathan both pointed out, the Revell 'Stang is a great "late model" kit, and any of the Tamiya kits usually build up without too many hitches. :)

'Cept for the odd tweaking required for some opening panels, I should add. Only talking the Tamiya Datsun, cause I have 3 of them. :lol:

1/16 isn't a bad size either. MPC/Amt have several early to mid 70's Chargers, the DOH, a "72/3 street machine" and more recently the Petty Stock Car. ;)

Tamiya 1/12 F1 car..anyone of them. May have to spend a bit more though.

When you first look at the all the parts and the instruction sheet you will think "What have I got myself into?".

I promise you, everything fits so well that it is not hard at all.

I assume the other 1/12 Tamiya models would be the same fit and quality.

that hurts just seeing that lindberg fiat thing next to the tamiya Lola! :lol:

i didnt realize there was so much available in 1/12. but i guess its the japanese "de facto" large scale?

as for what to build, i think you answered it yourself with the mustang, but you gotta like what you build, dont you think? so it was kinda hard to give suggestions; i myself would have suggested the Big T or Big Deuce if only for all the kool bonus parts in both of them. but your tastes might have run total counter to that and maybe you would want to build the Lola or something.

have fun with the mustang, i couldnt follow exactly which one it is you bought, but i gathered it must be a current model like 2011 or something. will be interesting to see what big scale state of the art is today. i probably would have tried to get this one, but i have no idea what they go for, dont think i have ever seen one:

Revell%207479%20ShelGT350.JPG

I have not bought it yet but i will be getting what ever the current 1:12 mustang that is sold down at hobby lobby. I must likely will buy the tamyia 1:12 datsun 240

Ether way i cant wait to get a day off so i can ride down

That old mustang would make an awesome build. I will be looking out for one of those too