Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Beetle with Hemi?

rmvw guy

Okay maybe this is over kill but, what the hay. Decided to get it down off the lift where it has been for quite a while. Started this one a while back from a glue bomb I got from a club member who knew I liked Volkswagons. I've been trying to decide on an engine for a while. Originally I was going to use a SBC but, couldn't find one in my parts I liked. So I modified the chassis some more today ( the white rod), and now this Hemi fits. Think I'm going to need some wheelie bars.DSC04404_zps367a0a0d.jpgDSC04405_zps4eb98ab1.jpgDSC04406_zps8e885a6c.jpgDSC04408_zpsa3851026.jpg

I built one of these in the late 70's, only I built it with a SBC, put a pickup bed on it with a gen4 Vette tail light panel.

It was canary yellow, wired, plumbed, upholstered (black terry-cloth carpet, hand-sewn black leather bucket seats), it even had mirrors and alternator bracket.

It was awarded either a 1st or a "best in show" (been so long I don't remember anymore) at the 1979 Arizona World of Wheels model contest.

it's currently in pieces because a few years later the plastruct sheet I used for the bed started to warp and I decided to rebuilt it with some better stuff, unfortunately "purple pond" wasn't around back then so I put it away for a few decades...

put gull wing doors on this and you got a flying machine :P

This gave me an Idea! In the middle of the night I awoke and made this sketch.DSC04419_zps585e9fee.jpg

The old IMC kit!!! B)

I didn't know this, thanks!

they came with a hemi stock

I think you mean the IMC kit came with a Hemi. Here are the parts I got and yes that is a Hemi.DSC04435_zps035f750c.jpgA couple more pictures of mockup. Thanks for looking.DSC04444_zps5a42cf06.jpgDSC04445_zps0e430c92.jpg