Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d scanning.

There's been alot of chatter lately concerning the new 3D printers. I personally am all thumbs when it comes to creating three dimensional drawings. I am wondering, has anyone thought about 3d scanning? I'm thinking if I can get a company to scan an item, then I can have the digital scan printed out in virtually any size I want. I'm thinking in terms of taking a 25th scale wheel, scanning it and printing it out in 16th scale. What do you guys think?

Z Corporation in Billerica, Ma. makes 3-D scanners. I've had an opportunity to see them in action, and they work amazingly well.

What's really nice about those is that you can go straight into CAD with the files it generates, and being hand-held, you can do an entire car with them. It'll take some time, but it will do it.

Charlie Larkin

I've played around with Autodesk's free 123D Catch program, where you take a series of digital photos of your subject, upload them to Autodesk, and let their system create a 3D model for you. It works surprisingly well, but I don't think it would be accurate enough to reproduce a 1/25 scale wheel with any precision. And for a wheel you need precision. I have wanted one of those Next Engine scanners since I first saw it last year. I would be a scanning fool with one of those.

There's been alot of chatter lately concerning the new 3D printers. I personally am all thumbs when it comes to creating three dimensional drawings. I am wondering, has anyone thought about 3d scanning? I'm thinking if I can get a company to scan an item, then I can have the digital scan printed out in virtually any size I want. I'm thinking in terms of taking a 25th scale wheel, scanning it and printing it out in 16th scale. What do you guys think?

Speaking as someone that has owned and used laser scanners since 2002, I think you should go from full sized to scale size otherwise you are multiplying the errors of the smaller scale.