Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Chevy Hard Top "Finished"

James2

Here is another custom from my bench. Starting with an AMT '51 Chevy Bel Air, kit #T295. I chopped the top about 3 scale inches. I decided to cut the roof at the mold seam line so as not to lose the shape where the roof meets the body. The front was cut mid "A" pillar. I also added 57 Chevy headlight extensions. Most of the trim has to go, including the windows. On the left side I have drawn a line for a two tone paint scheme and the right shows a chrome trim reference. Not sure which one yet and still need to work out the tail lights and a couple other dozen things! I'm pretty sure on bumpers, but not the grill. I like to brace things while sanding, the styrene in the front is temporary. Any way thanks for looking, J2.

11.jpg13.jpg12.jpg

Edited by James2

I've been owned by a 1:1 '52 Chevy for YEARS now and I'm really digging the '57 hooded headlights. I'm now on the hunt for full scale '57 donor fenders lol. I like the passenger side trim spear idea and it might be neat to graft a '55 Chevy egg crate grill in there. What are the hubcaps? They are really cool looking. Looking forward to more progress..

Edited by Albie D

Thanks guys, I'm already liken this one a lot myself!

Here is what I came up with sofar, 55 Chevy pick up grill and bumper I found in the PB and instead of going crazy with the tail lights I just added a little molded in visor. The stock lights should fit right inside.

24.jpg

23.jpg

Albie, the hub caps are from the same truck kit. The tires are from an old 60 Impala kit I believe.

25.jpg

There's much more sanding to do, but not as much as John T's "Freak Show"

Edited by James2