Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac GP- my 1st vinyl roof

geetee66

I think this was one of the quickest builds I've done.

Probably due to the age of the kit, it had a simple chassis with moulded rear axle, tailpipes and front suspension. I made stub axles for the front wheels and got rid of the metal axle that would've gone through the holes in the engine, which I filled.

I bought some Fujimi wheels for it, but I had to grind out the rear wheel tubs to get clearance for the wider rears. The Advan tyres are excellent, with a fine asymetric tread and really nice lettering on the sidewalls.

I made an electric fan and a bracket, as the blown engine option didn't have a fan belt or fan. I added hoses to the radiator and made some bellflower type mufflers.

The vinyl roof was done with two thin lines of masking tap to mimic the seams, then 3 light coats of with 3M Spraymount, then primered and sprayed matt black. I was chuffed with the results.

Here are some pics:

I don't know why the picture doesn't show up. If I use the 'image' button to add the url, I just get a red X in a box and no picture.

http://public.fotki.com/GeeTee66/65-pontiac-gp/65-pontiac-gp-038-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/GeeTee66/65-pontiac-gp/65-pontiac-gp-021-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/GeeTee66/65-pontiac-gp/65-pontiac-gp-004-jpg.html

Comments/critique welcome

thanks for looking

Thankyou Mr Obsessive!!

I'd love to know how you managed that. I've been trying for hours and still couldn't get it to work. Same on the other Forum.

Skip, the paint is from a rattle can and is Rover Gunmetal metallic.

I was quite happy with the finish, considering I disobeyed all the instructions on the can.

I painted this outside in windy, wet, cold and dark conditions. I had to wait for the icy wind to ease for a moment, so I could spray without debris flying around in the air. I had to dodge fine drops of rain, too. I admit I was impatient, but the gamble paid off.

Thanks for the encouragement, chaps!

You're right, Skip. The paint is for Rover cars (A once proud British manufacturer, sold to the Chinese for a disgracefully low sum).

In the UK we have a retailer called Halfords, who sell everything for cars. They can custom mix paint, too.

I always use their paint, as it is reliable and fairly cheap.

That looks really nice. Like others have said, I'm not so sure about the wheels, but the overall execution is great. 1965-'66 Pontiacs are one of the few cars that I think look good lowered.

Skip- try one of the places stateside that custom-mix paint. As long as they can get the code from someplace, they'll be able to make it. As a side-thought, Model Master Anthricite Gray is about the same shade, perhaps a hair darker. Tamiya also makes a paint in their acrylic bottle line called Gun Metal (X10) that's also pretty close to that.

Charlie Larkin

Real nice job on that one. I don't even mind the modern wheels...in this case, they work.

On the pic thing, this is what I've found I need to do. With the fotki image up, right-click on it and copy url. Hit the "image" button here and paste the url. For whatever reason, it's the only way I can get it to display them correctly.

• 3 weeks later...