Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

removing paint from clear plastic?

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

hi all....can anyone tell me how i can remove paint from clear plastic without further damage...`````````````````~ phil

Posted · Report post

Any Degreaser should do it, if it's not solvent based paint.

Try Purple Power Castrol.

CadillacPat

Posted · Report post

You can also try a bit of enamel thinner on a tissue, then slowly scrape with the end of a toothpick.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw something in Fine Scale Modeler this month about plastic single edge razor blades that is said to be safe for scraping clear plastic with out scratching. I'm tempted to try some but have no experience yet.

Here's a lint to them.

Edited by Foxer

Posted · Report post

thanks for your feedback guys!

Posted · Report post

The sign industry has been using the Scraperite blades for quite a while, they do not damage paint with normal pressure. They will scratch with with a heavy handed pressure, as with anything you should try for the least invasive product. If it were mine I would try using Simple Green, Purple Power or Easy Off before scraping with anything. If you have a polishing kit you should be able to correct any cloudy areas from the paint etching the plastic (hopefully it hasn't). You didn't mention whether the paint in question was black or not, if it is black I would try the easy off first, then you may have to resort to scraping and may need to polish afterwards. Good Luck.

Posted · Report post

You can also try a bit of enamel thinner on a tissue, then slowly scrape with the end of a toothpick.

Real enamel reducer will melt the plastic.