Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model T interiors

Well, I'm working on an AMT 1925 Model T coupe. Fun little car to build, and I might even have it done in time for MassCar's show, so I'll actually have something to enter this year.

My question is the interior. I can't really find any good reference pictures online, and was wondering what color the upholstery should be? I saw reference to some kind of brown/tan/buff color, but no really clear pictures. I'm guessing the rest of the interior would match the seat with the metal base the seat is on black like the rest of the body?

Anyone?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie,

For all their basic simplicity, Model T closed-body cars did have a few amenities! While Model T open cars (roadsters & touring cars) used "art leather" (artificial leather) which was somewhat akin to vinyl, coupes and sedans used real wool, in a broadcloth weave for the seats, inside door panels, upper quarter panels and rear panel, and of course, the headliner. The wool fabric was (working from memory of seeing several all-original 1920's Model T Fords when going to college in a small Iowa town in the early-mid 1960's. This was dyed a medium greyish brown. The basic floor covering was black rubber, in a ribbed pattern, but for a couple of dollar bills, coconut straw matting not unlike a natural fiber doormat could be had. Metal parts, namely the dashboard, steering column & steering wheel spokes were gloss black, with a very dark wooden steering wheel rim. The only instrument would have been a speedometer, no ammeter nor temperature or oil pressure gauges. The handbrake/neutral-high gear lever to the left of the driver was gloss black as well.

Art