Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Toyota Supra GT (Custom).

BMX Addicts

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and this is only my second attempt ever to build a model; I'm still in the process of putting a decent work station set up together but got the bug and I can barely contain myself, so we may as well call these "practice builds".

A couple months ago I stumbled upon a couple DVD's from Donn Yost and remembered I had a few of these kits and some beginner equipment stashed away on a bin at the office, so I decided to take them out and bring them home.

This one was my first ever build, complete box stock and not painted to specs for lack of ability but all of it done with aerosol spray paint and brush, it took me a full ten days to complete :P

DSC09320_zpseebe97fa.jpg

The next in line is a 1/24 Tamiya Toyota Supra GT (Tom's Castrol), but my plans are to build it as a Super Street Import

photo-1-1_zps14ae29c4.jpeg

Last Friday I got the body parts glued and sanded

photo-3_zps2d864343.jpeg

Primed the car yesterday (Using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer), and this afternoon I had it painted

photo-3_zpsfa6ec4d5.jpeg

photo-2-1_zpsb57a772c.jpeg

Will start working on the rear end tomorrow (As per the manual).

Thank you for reading.

That's some pretty impressive work for someone who just started with the hobby. I've been at this for over 40 years and I don't think I could do as nice.

May I ask, what other hobbys have you had? They shure must have prepared you well to do such fine work.

Thank you Steve,

I have to honestly say I was really impressed with the result on the Nissan, but yes, been known to chase whole families away for being a freak for detail :D

My main hobby is collecting and building Vintage BMX Bikes, it does require a lot of restoration and great attention to detail, I guess some handy work derives from that and sure wish some day I can replicate that on the table

GJSWin2.jpg

1984 GJS Freestyle BMX Bicycle. All parts are original from 1983/1984.

Edited by BMX Addicts

Too much for the compliments... 1st beginners mistake....

Had the bright idea of taking the wheels out from a couple other sets I have here to see which one would match the body better...

photo-3_zps406781c8.jpeg

These are the ones from the box:

photo_zpsf9166576.jpeg

And these are from a second Nissan set purchased in case I made a big mistake:

photo-1_zpse618931a.jpeg

Couldn't make up my mind but since the wheel set will be painted in Magenta Glo, I decided to strip the silver paint from them so I placed them into Tamiya Thinner but after 10 minutes nothing had happened and I had the marvelous idea of using Sunnyside Thinner.... Here is what I just wrote in my notes:

"DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER DIRECTLY ON PLASTIC PARTS!!!"

photo-2_zpsfdcd493f.jpeg

Luckily, I have a set of Wheels from a Honda NSX to match this set, OR may have to do the same as with the Nissan, re: Go to the store and get a second set :wacko:

Edited by BMX Addicts

Note: gasoline does not remove paint or chrome it just eats the plastic.

I learned the hard way with a wing on my 69 camaro yenko lol

Looks great so far, I like how you just started yet you are so good!

I too collect/redo Bmx bikes. Not as good as you and it is more of just a time filler because I actually ride but I do find that the details do add up on them and it does carry over to model cars.

Cheers!

Juan, use some Simple Green, Super Clean, or possibly regular Bleach to strip the chrome, it won't eat the plastic. There are a bunch of other ways to do it, but those three are pretty easy to come by, and are easy to use. Great start, and Don's DVD's must be really good, because if this is your second model ever, you're gonna be a force to be reckoned with if you ever go to any contests!

And I knew I was gonna like you from your screen name, I raced from about '77 through '87 (I finally got my NBL SC State Championship!), then went over into Freestyle until about '99, getting an NBL National #2 in '88 and a National #3 in '90. The body finally wore out, so I had to hang up the leathers, but I've still got 3 bikes, a GT '87 Pro Freestyle Tour, an '84 Raleigh 24", and a '84 (Possibly '85) Cook Brothers 24" sitting in the shed, along with a bunch of parts. Here's a pic of the Cook Bros as it sits, she needs some paint and polish, but she was retired in '87 and robbed of most of her good parts.

CBC001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks guys, I will make it a priority to go out and get some "Simple Green, Super Clean, or possibly regular Bleach to strip the chrome"... AND yes!!! I would recommend Donn's DVD's no matter how advanced of a builder (Not sure if the forum rules allow this but they can be found here: http://www.oldmansmodels.com/id79.html ).

Mike, please let me know if you ever decide to restore the Cooks (In case you don't keep track, you'll be amazed of the kind of coin these pull nowadays), if you remember the brand CW Racing from back in the day, that would be me... This one is for you (Just braggin') :P :

DSC_0042Copy.jpg

YES Sir!!!... The tip worked perfectly.

Wheels got bleach stripped, primed and painted :D

photo-4_zps95d5def1.jpeg

photo-5_zps51934e82.jpeg

photo-6_zpsb304179a.jpeg

I had no idea the tire decals were the transfer kind and dropped the first into the water tray... Rolling it back into shape was ridiculous!!! (That is why you'll see it off center).

photo-8_zpsb4f8ffdd.jpeg

At the beginning I thought the set would give you the option to choose between Bridgestone and Potenza, then I realized is the same thing, so I had to go back and apply the other side :P

photo-13_zps355be832.jpeg

Had time to prime the chassis

photo-7_zps7319dcc9.jpeg

And once done, kinda felt like needed to get going, so I masked the fuel cage

photo-9_zps7500a6f8.jpeg

My local shop didn't have Bare Metal foil, so I had to do it the hard way... so it did not come as nice as I wanted to

photo-10_zps12d46480.jpeg

And then decided to go ahead and paint the chassis...

photo-12_zps1a69d8b7.jpeg

AND... Since I wont be able to work on it for a couple more days, just went ahead and applied some decals...

photo-14_zps11a3ec12.jpeg

photo-15_zps471a84bc.jpeg

I can honestly say, I'm dog tired!!!...

Thank you for reading guys.

(Ah!, find a few pics Mike, nothing like remembering the old days).

Do you plan on using those TE37s? If not would u be willing to trade? I have a kit in mind that I wanna use them on if you are willing to trade.

Are the TE37 the other wheels?... They belong to a Honda NSX kit, but if you need them I can trade for a same style set up (Big wheel on the back and smaller on the front).

photo-16_zps362b9482.jpeg

Went to home depot this morning to purchase masking tape and found a huge roll of Nashua foil tape for $ 11.00... I don't know if this is a trade secret, but I had to order two sheets of Detail bare metal foil of 11" x 6" for $ 14.00 via eBay, never used it before so I guess I would have to compare quality... Is a bit thick but it worked ok.

photo-17_zpsac5fc448.jpeg

Ah!!!... I also changed my mind about the decals, so I removed them all...

Juan, that looks great, but let me give you a cheap and easy tip for foil. Find a bottle of Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive at a hobby shop or on-line (About $5, and I've been using the same bottle for nearly 20 years!), then go to Wally-World or your local Grocery store, Dollar General, etc, and buy the CHEAPEST Aluminum Foil you can find (It's thinner than the expensive stuff!). "Paint"" the area you want the foil on with the Metal Foil Adhesive, let it tack up (Usually about 5 minutes), then lay a piece of the Aluminum Foil on the "painted" area. Burnish it down with a Q-Tip, then trim the excess off with a sharp #11 blade, viola, perfect foil! I polish mine with Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze to give it a brilliant chrome finish, but any good polish will do the trick. I've had this model for almost 19 years, and the foil has never lifted or gone dull on me

P1280117-vi.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the Micro Foil Adhesive... Will give it a shot some time.

I got a new toy today... But the hose does not work with the compresor I have here (Plus is too short)... A few more days to get the right hose on the mail.

Never airbrushed before, I hope is easier than spraying from the can.

photo_zpsd8be4a01.jpeg

New decals... :P

photo18_zpsbcf47612.jpeg

Thanks guys, I find myself coming straight back to this thing every time I come home... Lucky the missus works the graveyard shift.

Sorry to say, I guess the offer of the T37 wheels is out of the window... Been getting second thoughts as far as the original color combination so I played a little with a different wheel color last night. Still undecided.

photo-19_zps93d9041b.jpeg

the car will have the windshield stripe and the mirrors in the same color as the wheels.

I agree with both of you, "IF" I could have matched the yellow on the wheels to the Star Card decals...

Worked a little on the front end today, just waiting on the springs and tension bars to dry up to glue them together.

Ah!!... Replacement hose for the air brush arrived today, WRONG ONE AGAIN!!! :blink:

All I have that are staggered wheel setup is the stock dodge viper acr wheels and the stock corvette zr1 wheels, I'm not sure if you would be interested in either of those but if you are I am still interested in the 6 spoke(te37) wheels

• 2 weeks later...

All I have that are staggered wheel setup is the stock dodge viper acr wheels and the stock corvette zr1 wheels, I'm not sure if you would be interested in either of those but if you are I am still interested in the 6 spoke(te37) wheels

The TW37 wheels would have to be stripped, they have a coat of Tamiya fine surface primer and a really bad coat of yellow... If you want them they are yours for the cost of the postage ;)

I have not been able to work much on the model lately, but I did put together the front end... I wish I had the ability to make it look more realistic.

photo_zps42cc82b2.jpg

May have to go back to school... I'm up to a third hose and still can't get the right one to match the air brush to the compressor :lol:

photo-1_zps001848e7.jpg

BLAH!!!!.... And now I've got to re do the tires

There was some glue drip from the front end assembly and had the brilliant idea of masking around it to spray over it, then I realized it was not going to work so I pulled out the tape... Wheel decals and all :blink:

photo-2_zpsd4b2eea9.jpg

photo-3_zpsbe9d75fa.jpg

Does anyone has a gun handy?

Ooooh, I like that dark metal finish on the underside, is that just straight up spray paint over primer?

About the airbrush, not too much difference spraying out of it compared to a can of paint, everything is about technique. You waste a lot less paint with the airbrush though since you can get it exactly where you want. Don't worry about learning to use it, as long as the paint is the right consistency you won't have any problems. Using an airbrush is easy to master, the biggest hassle you may have is just cleaning it when you're done, or when you want to change colors.

I hate that blue hose by the way, two of them popped within a week before I stopped using them lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire