Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reference Material Charts - Tubing Sizes, Braided Line, A/N Fittings & Nuts & Bolts

Mooneyzs

Very Cool...

I can see a lot of work went into this and I'm sure its a huge help to alotta folks. I on the other hand don't even own a car and never worked on one... so I'm still kinda hose'd unless I know what size the original 1:1 part is.

I thank everyone for the info... but I reckon I'll keep lookin'

Edited by CountryJoe

Michael... all of the sizes are in inches that I did on the list. I didn't put the equivalent sizes in millimeters and not sure if that is one thing you are wanting. if so you can type "inches to mm" on google and  you type the known number in and it will convert it for you.  I posted a couple of pics below from the first page which shows the equivalent tubing sizes for the 1:1 size in scale.  Exhaust can very from 1-1/2" OD, 2" OD, 2-1/4" OD, 2-1/2" OD and 3" OD". Depending on the scale you are working in you will need use the size that's closest and your preference.

For the fuel lines the A/N fittings are sized in 16ths of an inch example the -4, -6, -8...etc.... -4 =  4/16 = .250  so 1/4" ID hose,   -6 =   6/16 = .375 so 3/8" ID hose, etc. the top chart was pulled directly from  an Earl's catalog showing what the typical hose sizes are used for. Some sizes over lap for different applications for example fuel line and oil line. In the Braided line chart on in the column on the left is the typical sizes that we models can by and I calculated what he equivalent one to one size would be. I show the calculated size and what the equivalent size would be for the scales listed.

I can pull the 2 Mil Specs to show the exact Port and Boss to show everyone where the sizes came from. Not sure what else you are looking for. I am hoping I have explained it the best I can and that it makes sense

Tubing Sizes:

TubingSizes_zps9a968c09.jpg

Braided Line:

-Descriptions are from an Earls catalog

BraidedLine_zps5b5f994a.jpg

Now that it's explained out a lil' more I find the chart a lot easier to understand... thank you for takin' the time out to educate a non-mechanical bus rider on some of the more common sizes of things. 

At least now I feel I can make an honest attempt at doing something right for a change.

Edited by CountryJoe

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 18/02/2013 at 02:38, Mooneyzs said:

Hardware de Escala, Porcas e Parafusos:

Parafusos sextavados roscados:

ScaleHardwareThreadedHexBolts-1_zps86b46327.jpg

ScaleHardwareThreadedHexBolts-2_zpsff641d5f.jpg

Porcas sextavadas com rosca:

ScaleHardwareThreadedHexNuts-1_zpsf74ecdf4.jpg

ScaleHardwareThreadedHexNuts-2_zps81574a8a.jpg

Parafusos sextavados simulados

ScaleHardwareSimulatedHexBolts_zps33390d14.jpg

Porcas sextavadas simuladas:

ScaleHardwareSimulatedHexNuts_zps969b3087.jpg

Where are the pictures??? :(

Photobucket make fun of.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, chas290620 said:

how  come there are no pic of it ?

Hey Charles.... I had switched using photobucket to Fotki for my photo hosting site and I believe I din't get the links updated. I will work on getting them updated soon. I apologize for not getting them done sooner. Bear with me and I will get them Updated.

6 minutes ago, Lee Yoder said:

Thanks for the effort you put into this, it is a great resource for all modelers. ??

You are welcome Lee. Just trying to help fellow modelers out. I just feel bad I didn't get this done sooner when I had switched things from photobucket to Fotki. Life has been a little crazy for me but hoping to really back at the bench building on a more consistent basis.

• 1 year later...

Chris has done sterling service by sharing his charts.

One poster noted that they were in inches. To work out the metric equivalents see below.

Inches to Metric.     Divide by 25.4.

You will need to use inches expressed as a decimal measurement. 

For example 3/8ths of an inch is .375 and that will have to be divided by 25.4 to give the metric equivalent.

Regarding bolt sizes. In engineering terms sizes referred to are the thread size of the bolt and not to be confused with the head size.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What a great resource, I just ran across it.

Is RB Motion still in business? I tried to order something the other day, no success. I'll have to call him up. He used to be a vendor at the NNL East a while back.

I use the metric system mostly. Since .040" = 1", the rest comes naturally to me. 

• Like 1