Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 1/24 scale car kits by ICM

Junkman

I wouldn't count on getting the decals - Airfix now routinely leave out swastikas from WW2 luftwaffe model kits.

In my book by denying the thing you are only giving it power. But that's not a discussion for here.

Tatra. Yes. One of the cars Dr Porsche got all his ideas from.

I'd love a 1/25 kit of a 603

Here is the Revell Germany 1/35 "Admiral" - Hobbytown USA price? $28.99. That's not bad for a 199 piece kit.

E58631FA-0031-421C-84C7-7FBC5F9574AA-176

These kits are quite complicated. Not only are the bodies multi piece, but many assemblies are more involved than "normal" car kits - the frame needs to be out together:

0308F56D-9F4C-44AB-B1DF-945B5D6E7D1F-177

The door handles and wipers and many very small parts are molded separately.

Edited by Erik Smith

They do an 87, they can sign me right up.

Ditto! If there was a choice, I'd prefer the slightly earlier T77 or T77A, but the T87 is probably more correct for the military theme. I'd happily buy kits of all three though!

That does look neat..any pics of what's in the box?

Details of the parts on ICM's website:

http://www.icm.com.ua/catalogue/technics/182-admiral-cabriolet-wwii-german-staff-car.html

And instructions on Revell Germany's:

http://www.revell.de/manual/03099.PDF

Interesting to see a multi-piece body, very old school....the parts breakdown on the instructions reminds me of some of the old Monogram '30s Classics kits. I'm guessing the two vertical bars on the cowl sides are flag mounts, but what is the funny thing on the front left fender above the parking light, some sort of military device? i find the Admiral kit interesting because of the bodystyle--4dr convertibles of that era are pretty scarce in model kits.

Edited by Rob Hall

Interesting to see a multi-piece body, very old school....the parts breakdown on the instructions reminds me of some of the old Monogram '30s Classics kits. I'm guessing the two vertical bars on the cowl sides are flag mounts, but what is the funny thing on the front left fender above the parking light, some sort of military device? i find the Admiral kit interesting because of the bodystyle--4dr convertibles of that era are pretty scarce in model kits.

I believe the thing on the left front fender might be a shrouded light, designed to provide some night illumination, without using the headlights, to reduce the enemy's ability to see the car. Here's one version:

MBStaffCar-August2005-03_zpse3e17dfa.jpg

Hermann Goering also had one on his armored "Blue Goose" Mercedes.

Speaking of Goose, I wonder if (besides the goose step) there was special symbolism there. You'll notice the goose-stepping geese on the Opel kit.

http://forums.aaca.org/f123/prewar-mercedes-benz-297850-7.html

bluegooselight_zps5900193c.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

I believe the thing on the left front fender might be a shrouded light, designed to provide some night illumination, without using the headlights, to reduce the enemy's ability to see the car. Here's one version:

MBStaffCar-August2005-03_zpse3e17dfa.jpg

It is a light for night driving without the headlamps illuminated, the vehicle in front would have a reflector, or in most cases the rear asxle on the trucks was painted white, the vehicles could travel close together and as long as the driver kept the reflector in sight they didn't need to use headlamps .... on the back of the Mercedes staff car you will see a rectangular reflector,

post-2058-0-73048900-1361553017.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

One kit that can be turned into a very nice WWII vehicle is the Airfix/Heller 170 Mercedes saloon (1936-42 with a later reissue by Mercedes). It also makes for a nice period-correct, frumpy sedan that I find sort of charming, and was used as a police car. Nicely done kit that I have in my stash, awaiting use as a parts car.

MB170sedankit_zpsf77a906e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I should be able to get these from my LHS afterall, I ventured into the dark empire of armo(u)r kits this morning and after feeling thoroughly dirty I noticed the owner stocks about a half dozen or so of the 1/35 ICM kits. The first kit of this series to be "blown up" to 1/24 (the Typ G4) has 309 (309!!!!) parts in the smaller scale.

One kit that can be turned into a very nice WWII vehicle is the Airfix/Heller 170 Mercedes saloon (1936-42 with a later reissue by Mercedes). It also makes for a nice period-correct, frumpy sedan that I find sort of charming, and was used as a police car. Nicely done kit that I have in my stash, awaiting use as a parts car.

I have that & also the van version - both look pretty good. Heller did loads of other '30s cars that no one else has kitted yet at this scale e.g. a BMW 328, Bugatti T50, Delahaye, Delage & also a Citroen Traction Avant, which would complement the ICM kits nicely. The latter is already available in several other military scales (as both the German forces in France and the French resistance used them), & has recently been reissued so should be easily available.

As is usual for Hellers of that era, they are full detail. Perhaps not as refined or intricate as ICM's offerings, but very good for their age - iirc, many of that series were first issued in the '70s.

• 3 months later...

I received a nasty email from someone I could barely understand saying that some of these photos/images in this post/thread were "stolen" from him. He called the person a "thief". I really have no idea what this person is saying. He did call me crazy though. I guess he knows me well....

• 1 month later...

The 1:24 G4 is out, btw, "dumbed down" a bit from 309 1:35 parts (guess they're aiming for some car modelers after all), but still not exactly a slap-together at over 240 1/24 parts for 60 bucks US.

The body that's a separate cowl, door sections, and rear quarter in the 1:35 is reduced to two halves with lengthwise seams over the cowl and the rear, and about 7 or 8 pieces in the smaller scale are brought together into a single, intricate molding for the front wings, rear fenders, frame rails, and front and rear cross members.

Chrome is pretty even, tires are sharp and rubber-like. Molding is generally clean and precise. There's some texture on the body panels that'll need to be knocked down for a really shiny paint job, but then again, a mile-deep gloss was not a hallmark of the 1:1.

I've always wondered why Military Vehicles have to be issued in smaller scales than 1/24. Where's fun in that? With these kits in a compatible scale to normal model cars and trucks, the possibilities for Post Apocalyptic Dioramas and the "G" scale train layouts are mind boggling. Wow.

I've seen the Italeri Armed Pick-Up Toyota Land Cruiser #6352 and the Italeri Land Rover LWB 109 FFR #6353. Very nice.

I've even built the 1/24 and 1/28 scale Planes. I'm really looking forward to adding these to my 1/28 Fokker DR1 and my Spad XIII models.

I wonder how an Opel Admiral Cabriolet or one of the other Opal offerings would look finished similar to the Red Baron's Fokker DR1 as his Personal Vehicle? It's a thought. It could be a real cool club project. Pick a version/paint scheme of the Revell Fokker DR1 and build any of these cars in that plane's or pilot's paint style. Just no fixed weapons. The inside of the car could have Handguns, Rifles, Machine Guns, Grenades and etc.. Some more crafty builders could put these weapons in hidden compartments.

• 2 months later...

I've always wondered why Military Vehicles have to be issued in smaller scales than 1/24.

35th won out when all was said and done after the early days of "box scale". Tamiya's 1st tank kit, the German Panther tank, happened to scale out to 1/35 after being sized to fit a standard motor and gearbox (because Japanese models just HAD to be motorized back in the day...), so they stuck with the scale for their later releases. Other scales had been established, too - 1/40 (Revell, Adams) and 1/32 (Monogram, Renwal, Airfix), but they had their roots in early box scale kits as well. Once other companies like Italeri and Peerless Max joined Tamiya's 35th scale it became the scale of choice for serious military modelers.

No word on the Packard? I may have to pick up one of those Opels, looks very art deco.

The Packard was released in 1:35 back in August, but so far only the Typ G4 in two kits (the latter a forthcoming up-top "Civilian" version), and the above posted Opel have been announced in "automotive scale".