Model Cars Magazine Forum

my garage diorama

1tim1

This is my first time ever building anything like this. It is not "structurally" correct i guess i could say, but i like doing things as cheap as possible. The framing is 1/4" square wooden dowels that scale out to be 6x6, even used them to build the rafters. Exterior walls are popsicle sticks, walk in door is made from popsicle sticks as well, although I'm not happy with it and may end up changing it. The interior walls are sheet styrene and the ceiling is sheet styrene as well (actually a private property sign). For the roof I used basswood and will be using textured cardstock to cut into desirable lengths to simulate shingles.

When i had this garage in mind, I told myself that i wanted it to have a roof that was removable. So i think i managed to do well enough with making that happen. Then i decided I wanted to put lights in this thing, so i went to the local Radio Shack looking for budget friendly 5mm LED lights with no luck since our local store is small and has limited inventory. I got the LED holders while i was there and put 4, 1/4" holes in the ceiling for the LED holders and looked online for some lights, i found 5mm frosted lens LED lights with a 70 degree viewing angle at ledsupply.com and only took them 2 days to come in and i installed them immediately.

The flooring for this garage is some type of foam sheet that i found in hobby lobby for less than a buck. I made the windows with a clear sheet laying around and basswood for the framing of the windows.

The tool box, tool cart and the oversized wrenches laying in the floor is a Mighty World mechanic set that my wife bought at a toy store that was going out of business, i think she gave $2.50 for. I thought it would look ok in there for now for reference pictures

I'm still a long way from being finished but wanted to show you guys what I have done so far and want to know what everyone thinks.

Here are some pictures, sorry for the cell phone quality, the phone is always so convenient to grab and use.

Hope you all enjoy, comments and complaints are welcome.

post-5346-0-07369500-1361291421_thumb.jppost-5346-0-56099200-1361291456_thumb.jppost-5346-0-49525400-1361291508_thumb.jppost-5346-0-30403600-1361291531_thumb.jppost-5346-0-33584900-1361291554_thumb.jppost-5346-0-09818800-1361291619_thumb.jp

It looks good!!! I really like the interior shot with the lights. The only thing I would consider is making it BIGGER!!! :lol: They are never,never,never big enough in my opinion. Plenty of room for activity outside I guess. A friend of mine once said all you need is a garage big enough to work on one vehicle at a time, the rest can wait outside. It will be great for posing pictures of your projects. I have never finished one of my garages. I'll be looking forward to progress on this one, thanks for sharing.

Hey Tim....

When I read your preamble about your "economical" building methods, I thought "Oh,oh... what kind of Mickey Mouse thing is this going to be?"

Then I looked at the pictures. Very impressive... not at all what I imagined! I really have to congratulate you on a fine piece of work, considering what you worked with.

But just one suggestion....... loose those wrenches! (Hahaha)

Tony

Small update. Got all of the trim around the windows, corners and along the bottom sides on and painted. Also got the doors built and mocked up, now I just have to figure out the best way to mount them. Also got the shingles cut and glued into place (I know they're not the correct scale size). Again, sorry for the poor quality pictures.post-5346-0-12117200-1361590870_thumb.jp

Edited by 1tim1