Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Nother Rat finished

Finished this up yesterday. The nice thing about rat rods is there are no rules, you can let your imagination run wild. This is the first time using salt and baking soda to get the patina and I really like the technique. The sequence was gray primer, model masters steel, salt, rust, salt pale blue, salt, light blue, then washed and scrubbed with a stiff tooth brush. The Mexican blanket was made with the embroidery thread on tape trick. It was pretty stiff so I used fabric sizing on it and then removed the tape. It was still pretty stiff so I soaked it and spot glued it. If I do another I think I'll look for a different technique. This project went fast for me, probably all the ideas in my head needing to come out.

P1040894-vi.jpg

P1040896-vi.jpg

P1040898-vi.jpg

P1040900-vi.jpg

P1040906-vi.jpg

P1040905-vi.jpg

P1040916-vi.jpg

Excellent! :)B) I dig the blown Big Cammer Eight (Alfa 158?) .And the worn paint is quite succesful - dramatic and emphatic as is appropriate for a rat rod, but not over done. You say it went quickly - it's obvious from the results that you had your groove on. Congrats!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Now on to building the "hookie". It'll be based on the Beverly Hillbillies Olds. I am thinking of replacing granny's platform and making either a roadster or a phaeton. I'll have to check the wheelbase to see which one.