Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pair Of '64 Super Stocks: Ford Thunderbolt & Dodge 330 -Finished-

W-409

Now when Mika's '57 Chevy is Finished, We decided to build 1964 Super Stock racers. This time they are not team mates like before (We built pair of '62 Catalina SuperStockers last year) but they are enemies to each others. I'm building '64 Ford Thunderbolt and Mika is building '64 Dodge 330 (The Color Me Gone version). Both builds will be built the way they could have raced in '64.

My Thunderbolt build started from Revell Streetburner kit I won at local Model Car Show. It is really nice kit, lots of parts and they are really nicely molded. I started by looking at some reference material from the books:

DSCN1106_zpsacd88761.jpg

Then it was time to start building. The kit doesn't have Roll Bar or Roll Cage at all, so I decided to make one. Because I didn't have enough styrene tubing to make whole roll bar from scratch, I had to use one Roll Bar from my Parts box as a basis. It is bit lowered now. But since I found new styrene tubing, now I will scratchbuild whole roll cage, it'll be better than the one I already started hacking.

The engine is painted Gloss Red, Manual Transmission is silver. Only minor clean up was needed after I installed the block halves together, the fitment was really good. I decided to remove the chrome plating on the Intake Manifold, then I painted it aluminium. I started some assembling too, this is how it is now.

DSCN1144_zpsdd2f59c3.jpg

DSCN1141_zps04b8b6cb.jpg

Rear wheels and tires are completed too, the tires were sanded with Dremel and sandpaper to make them look bit used. Wheels are from the kit, I just painted the details on them with different colors. Tire decals are from my parts box. I decided to use the Steelies for rear, it just looks right to me.

25bd1411-7ba7-4e7c-a15e-fedb5c18a878_zps

Mika will post few pictures soon....Stay Tuned.

Edited by W-409

This will be a fun thread to follow , Niko :) !

A red FE-Series engine ... looks quite nice ! That's the nice thing about building race cars ; you can paint the engine whatever colour you want !

When I built the Baldwin-Motion 1970 Camaro Phase III a number of years ago , I painted its engine Chrome Yellow :mellow: .

Looking forward to watching you two build these gems !

Thanks, John! :D It is true that engine can be painted any color the builder wants. I've always liked red engine blocks, so the choice was pretty obvious.

Looks like I'm posting an update before Mika posts his. I started working on Carburetor area. Carburetors are painted lightly so they look more realistic than chromed carburetors would have looked. Then I started the carburetor linkage. First tubing is on its place, still a lot more to go. Once the Linkage is done, I can make the Fuel Lines and then install Spark Plug Wires. The alternator was painted with the same method as the Carbs were, and I installed whole pulley and belt system on. Also I took Fuel Pump from Revell '69 Corvette which will be SS/B Super Stocker.

I started the chassis work, too. I removed textes from the chassis, but then they could still be seen after primering. That's what I was afraid of, but now I have put some putty to fix the problem.

DSCN1160_zps8a573996.jpg

DSCN1162_zpsc7f16d8a.jpg

DSCN1164_zps97606bb6.jpg

DSCN1167_zpsb4a221fd.jpg

I sprayed a Dullcoat to the front wheels, too. I think they look much better now.

DSCN1156_zpsb19f37fe.jpg

Thanks Dave! It's always nice to have some people who like seeing my builds.

I have been busy this week, and have not had time to update this thread. But I have managed to finish the Carburetor detailing. I scratchbuilt the Carburetor Linkage, which actually needs return spring yet and one linkage to the firewall, but I will add those when the engine is installed. Also I got the spark plug wires on. Fuel line is made from different materials, not perfect but since it will be covered with the air hose-system, I think it's good enough.

Also I mocked up the Front Wheels to the tires. They look much better now since the Chrome plating has some flat clear on it.

DSCN1177_zpse14b608b.jpg

DSCN1178_zps97ce33b1.jpg

DSCN1179_zps6515eed3.jpg

DSCN1181_zpsad7974b3.jpg

Niko, your engine looks great. I'll be following this with interest as I've got a Thunderbolt kit and it's on my short list of kits to build. It seems you and your Dad enjoy the same subject matter as I. I recently finished a '62 Catalina (in Under Glass) and I've also done a '64 Dodge (AWB). I even have the same books as you. Thanks for sharing, KB.

Thanks Ken!

I was drooling your Catalina so much that I couldn't get a word from my mouth. You did Excellent job with it. Yes, both of us really like Stockers, Super Stockers and of course Junior Stockers and other stuff.

I just wish Mika would get something more done than painted engine block... :lol:

Thanks Guys!

Matti: Post pictures of your '64 Dodge also. I'd really like to see how it comes together.

Well not much done since the latest update, I have been mostly painting other projects, and also got the chassis of Thunderbolt primered. It needed some putty, though because the removed Copyright textes could still be seen. After a little sanding and new Primer coat, I came up with this. Next I'll paint it black and hopefully continue the interior work, too.

DSCN1349_zps1c08c42f.jpg

DSCN1352_zps51a4dd36.jpg

You going to replicate any particular drivers T bolt ?

Per info on another board , The best paint I've found so far to replicate the T bolt int color is a Tamiya Champagne Gold over a dark primer base

this is a 1965 Dodge interior but it gives you an idea of the color

ps, depending on how your monitor depicts it , picture a light silver with ' just a hint ' of gold tint to it to the get the color.

Edited by gtx6970

This is going to be built like "It could have Raced in the '60s" so there's no 1:1 car what I'm trying to replicate. It will be built bit like how I would have built it if I had raced (Or actually lived) in the '60s. :D As for the interior color, I try to do my best, we don't have much Tamiya paints in here but we have some other strange brands which I guess have a color shade pretty close to that. I must print that picture and head to the nearest Hobby Shop.

Little update, I built the Roll bar using the '57 Chevy Roll bar as a basis (Red part) and the white parts are made from "EverGreen Transkit". :lol: They are just Mocked up.

DSCN1367_zps2690af0e.jpg

DSCN1368_zpsfa57c784.jpg

Thanks for the tip Bill, I will make a Dry fit tomorrow and see if it needs little adjusting. The Thunderbolts you posted in Under Glass while back were great! It is always nice to see Vintage Drag Cars being built. A little update, too. I painted the chassis today with Matt Black. I have all axles etc painted, so if everything goes allright, I should have them installed tomorrow.

DSCN1395_zps6a94e649.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

At last I also have something to show. My -64 "Color Me Gone" Dodge has got on its wheels. The rear axle and front suspension are on their place. Engine is more or less assembled, but still needs some detailing to do. The color of the engine looks alittle pink in the pics, but in real life it's orange!

I just primered the body and now its waiting to dry and will be painted gloss white. The interior will be painted red.

By the way, the roof of the car must be painted "Ford/GM engine blue" by the instructions, since the is no decal for it. So, does anyone have a good tip, what color to use on the roof to get it as close to decal-Blue colors as possible?

Here are some photos of it:

DSCN2021_zps63222cd7.jpg

DSCN2022_zps96f8bb70.jpg

DSCN2024_zpsd600efa1.jpg

DSCN2025_zps1e51ef9e.jpg

Edited by W-348

• 1 month later...