Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to start and how far to go .....

Hey yall Im just getting back into models have done a few Id really like to start building to a whole new level. I want to start building some pro stock,gassers and maybe some 70s style funny cars. My only problem is im not sure what should be replaced from box stock. My 1st build was thinking of doing the prostreet 57 chevy or the reissued Chi town hustler any suggestions where to start. I been looking in the drag racing thread and saw some amazing work from Tyrone and a few others I would love to build on that level. I do not have a lathe or no expensive tools like that but I do have the drive to try new stuff let me know where yall would start to build show quality models without getting overwhelmed !

Thanks

I agree with kc7wzl that you should not try to do everything you can on your next build, what I would suggest is breaking your next few builds down to subassemblies/models unto themselves. As in, if you are going to build a dragster try to focus your detail on the engine (plug wires, fuel lines,linkage? etc.) as the motor is exposed.

After that build try to focus on an area of a different model that could use some extra detail or maybe some scratch-building. Do a little on a few models and before long you should be able to jump into a completely detailed build.

VERY few modelers have been able to build "balls to the walls" crack out of the box with their first builds. Most all of us have built up our skills, learned new techniques "one model at a time" over time. Just keep trying to push the envelope with each build, some way, somehow, someplace.

Art

Your reaction to what you see is natural. Of course you want it! But don't let it overwhelm you. As the others above stated, modeling skills are developed one step at a time. First you start out with just making a box stock kit look respectable. Next one you add a little detail, kit bash it a bit and the progression goes on from there. But understand that while it's great to look and admire, you may never catch up with some of these guys!

Watch what the guys on the board do. Especially the step by step posts where you see exactly how they did something or how something went together. Suddenly it's no longer a mystery, but makes perfect sense and you can do it too!

You can progress at your own speed or not at all. You will eventually decide just how much you are willing to invest, both in terms of buying tools and materials as well as your own investment in time and developing new skills. For instance, a long time ago I decided that I wasn't going to buy a lathe. It just didn't interest me. If I wanted to learn those skills I would have gone that way as a trade.

Still, I develop and hone my skills all the time. This past year I've learned to make my own decals and do a bit more scratch building. It always starts with, "I bet I can...'' and the next thing you know you are doing it. Most recently I scratch built the entire interior of a camper. Is it perfect? No. Is it cool and am I happy I did it? Yup!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thanks for all the advice I have loved building models since I was 7 1st car me and my dad put together was a 70 challenger it was purple on the box amt kit I believe that was 15 years ago still remember it . I have talent I can do mild scratch building and ive done pre wired distribitors but for what I want to get out my drag car models is the gas/nos plumbing stuff of that nature im not real sure how all of it work. I am a perfectionist I try to get ever little detail correct I think Im going to a prostock box stock build when it progresses to the wiring part I will ask a BUNCH of questions . I really enjoy this hobby I would be estastic to be able to do some of the work yall do 1 build completely blew me away was the copper/brass ratrod wrecker its amazing. Im fully commited to be that good some day but till then Im gonna enjoy what I can do I know what looks sick ive loved cars all my life models to me is just having that 1 car u always wanted in the palm of ur hand :D

Hi Greg, you have been given great advice, I just want to add that Google and Google images are great resources for figuring out the kid of details your looking for. It can take some time to find exactly what your looking for but as has been said-sometimes the journey is better than the destination. Be patient and remember everyone of us knew nothing about modeling when we started. Also it's just plastic---cut it-shape it-graft it-scratch build it. If it doesn't work or look right to you-do it again. It is only plastic and a hobby-have fun and learn from your mistakes and from all the talent on this forum. Happy building!

and to add one thing... if you have a question ASK! Everyone on the board is approachable and more than happy to help. If you need a guide to route some plumbing, or an explanation of something, someone will be there for you.

I tried getting back to the hobby as an adult in my 20s, going it solo since I didn't know anyone else into models at the time. My results were no better than those from when I was 15. I got discouraged and never finished the model. In my 30s I found a model car club and decided to try again. My results were much better because I had people to coach me and teach me techniques. Many of these things aren't all that complicated or require a lot of talent, it's just that I hadn't figured them out on my own. This was back before the Internet so I was lucky to find a club local to me. Still, there was a month gap between each meeting and the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback. Today, it's much better. You can communicate with folks from around the world every day!

I can cetainly empathize with your desire to build at an extremely detailed and quality level. I spent many of weekends as a kid throwing together kits. Through high school and college I would build here and there. It wasn't until 2005 that I really got back into the hobby after settling down with a new house and my wife. I went strong for about 6 years asking a thousand questions on Randy Ayers and Fred's Resin forums. Now after a 2 year break, I have broken the plastic out again and am ready to start doing some building. The lesson I learned most from 2005 to now is that the hobby needs to be fun first and foremost. I was able to accomplish some of my goals in terms of builds, quality, and detail level. There are still some holy grail builds that I haven't gotten to. The reason being I have siked myself out a bit with my expectation of the final product. I would never discourage someone from trying new things and aiming high, just keep it at a pace and level that still remains fun.

I tell ya what you all are GREAT I can not wait to get back on track building some models only real problem is hobby stores are very limited in my area so I do alot of buisness with model roundup there a bit pricey but jack is a great guy to deal with. Im bout to have my 1st child and I basically had to hang my helmet up for a few years instead of being at the track every weekend I can be in my lab tweakin away at some plastic to compensate the withdraws lol. I think I want to build a gasser 1st car back always was in love with there stance with the straight axles any suggestions?

Greg, we welcome you back to the hobby. However I urge you to check out the thread shortcut in my signature line called "Walk then Run". It's something I wrote a while back to address the difficulties newer builders can have and also the opinions of a lot of like minded folks.