Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Wreck

Draggon

The wreck today reminded me too much of Bodine's career ending wreck in the truck series back in 2000. Even before DW called it, thats what I was thinking. The last 15 laps were pretty exciting, well, until the last lap. Aparrently the 32 cars wheel went 9 levels into the stands.

Engine sitting on top of the wall, tire 9 rows up, WOW. I've read from 4 to 6 injured spectators, some serious. It was a pretty good race until the last lap. I don't know if 'green-white-checker' is a great idea at the plate tracks. Several of the drivers they interviewed said the wreck was on and they just kept their foot in it.

Restricter plate racing at it's worst combined with a very prevalent "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude that too many drivers now have.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the heads of Nascar sitting before Congress soon.

I don't think it's just the new cars. Bobby Allison at Talladega in 1987, Geoff Bodine at Daytona in 2000, Carl Edwards at Talladega in 2009. I'm sure I'm leaving some out. It is scary but I'm not sure there is really anything that can be done about it. The only thing that would help in my opinion is to get rid of the lower level seats and have them all raised up. The speeds they run make it exciting in my opinion, I don't think it would make much difference whether they run 170mph or 200mph. That's just my opinion and I'm no engineer but it seems like once your over a certain speed 20-30mph doesn't mean much.

I really hope all of the fans survive and make full recoveries. And thank god no drivers were hurt.

Just my $.02.

Posted in the NASCAR section. This so really sucks. Restrictor plate racing at its finest. I hope that France gets his head about him, and realizes that a one thousandth second lead at the finish line might look cool, but it just might not be all that safe.

I don't know what the solution would be other than require smaller unrestricted engines or stop having events at Daytona & Talladega altogether. Letting them run wide open isn't an option considering the fact Elliot was breaking 210 twenty-six years ago. They might not be in packs, but I can't see where cars going 220+ is a better situation.

They need to get rid of the restrictor plate and let them race...

What does that have to do with anything?

The guy tried to make a move, and we saw the result. It can happen in any auto race when there are cars on the track jockeying for position. What in the world does the engine technology have to do with it?

Restricter plate racing at it's worst combined with a very prevalent "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude that too many drivers now have.

Johnny, dont take what I am saying as trying to start an argument, I am not, thats what race car drivers do, thats the point of racing for the win, todays events was the perfect strom, everything was lined up just right for this to happen. NASCAR heads wont be in front of congress.

The catch fence did its job to a point, but like I said, everything lined up just right for the car to find the one week spot in the fence , everything that NASCAR and DIS has in place for safety did its job, but it was beuase it was a freak accident, that those saftey messaure were able to fail to a point. I will expain

One, all NASCAR race cars have hood/trunk tethers as well as tehters that hold the front susepnison peices on the frame,to keep those parts from flying off, but when you have the entire front frame piece ripped of from the rest of the frame, thats not something that happens all the time

Two, the part of the catch fence where the front part of the chassis, and tire got thru was the at the cross over gate, that is where there is an opening for the grandstands to get on to the track, the race car hit one of the catch fence poles, bent it, and at the same time, that is what ripped the entire front part of the frame off, and also ripping the catch fence open, thus allowing parts of the race car to go in the stands.

THat all does not matter, what matters right now , is the fans that were injured, and out thoughts and prayers should be with them and their family's right now, there is plenty of time to go back and pick apart what happen. NASCAR and DIS will be looking into this, and what can be done to prevent this from happing

But this is a case of, cant fix or change or make something better in tell something bad happens, now we know there is a weakness at that spot on the fence

Nobody ever said that racing is safe. Spectators have always been at risk in motorsports also.

X2. I think it's just become so rare that people forget that things like this happen. It's just kind of taken for granted but when cars are racing at 200mph 20ft away it's just a matter of time. I think the people who line the streets to watch rally racing are crazy. That is something I wouldn't do. Even after today, I'd go sit in those seats at Daytona tomorrow. I think if its your time than you have no control. It's just a risk you take going to these things. I hate to be so dark and gloomy but you could die in a wreck on the way to watch a race. Probably have a much greater chance of that than getting hit by a piece of a car.

I remember when I was a kid I saw a man die of a heart attack at talladega. My dad had CPR and tried to save him but he was already gone.

Not to take anything away from what happened but I guess my point is it doesn't matter what they change or try to do. Something will still happen and somebody will still get hurt.

Edited by JFortner5

Other than the fire, nothing has changed in 13 years. Geoff Bodine, Daytona 2000, front end blown off just like Kyle Larson today. The only good thing is Kyle walked away. Bodine was not so lucky, and never raced competitively again.

flo-CRASH.jpg

Edited by Draggon

I beleive that some of the "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude can be blamed as much on the Green-White-Checkers rule as much or possibly even more than restrictor plates. There's been avoidable accidents on non-restrictor plate races caused by that driving attitude combined with a G-W-C finish. Not saying you're wrong, far from it, only that there's other contributing factors.

My personal take is that instead of G-W-C, there needs to be at least 4 laps of Green, plus the White flag, to give the feild a chance to settle in, and to keep those drivers whe just "have to win no matter what" a chance to cool their jets and not do something stupid. Daytona and Talledega are the obvious places to do that type finish at, but also on the short tracks, where a G-W_c finsih isn't even enough racing to make it worthwhile to do it that way.

I beleive that some of the "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude can be blamed as much on the Green-White-Checkers rule as much or possibly even more than restrictor plates. There's been avoidable accidents on non-restrictor plate races caused by that driving attitude combined with a G-W-C finish. Not saying you're wrong, far from it, only that there's other contributing factors.

My personal take is that instead of G-W-C, there needs to be at least 4 laps of Green, plus the White flag, to give the feild a chance to settle in, and to keep those drivers whe just "have to win no matter what" a chance to cool their jets and not do something stupid. Daytona and Talledega are the obvious places to do that type finish at, but also on the short tracks, where a G-W_c finsih isn't even enough racing to make it worthwhile to do it that way.

But lets remember that what happened today was coming to take the checkered flag, this has nothing to do with the G-W-C, of course race cars drivers will do anything to win, not saying thats a good thing, and its not like this is anything new, all race car drivers from all over the world have at times the will do anything to win attitude, I will agree that the G-W-C only adds to it , to a point

But lets remember that what happened today was coming to take the checkered flag, this has nothing to do with the G-W-C, of course race cars drivers will do anything to win, not saying thats a good thing, and its not like this is anything new, all race car drivers from all over the world have at times the will do anything to win attitude, I will agree that the G-W-C only adds to it , to a point

Absolutely. I won't disagree with you or Johnny at all on this. It's a combination of things that justs add up to race finishes like this.

I should mention, I didn't actually get to see the race live (working) but heard about it when I got home. The link posted earlier in this thread was the first time I saw the footage. That first lap really looked like they would pull it off without incident. Even most the last lap looked good. And then it all turned to, well, you know. Not the first time we've seen something like this, certainly won't be the last.

Absolutely. I won't disagree with you or Johnny at all on this. It's a combination of things that justs add up to race finishes like this.

I should mention, I didn't actually get to see the race live (working) but heard about it when I got home. The link posted earlier in this thread was the first time I saw the footage. That first lap really looked like they would pull it off without incident. Even most the last lap looked good. And then it all turned to, well, you know. Not the first time we've seen something like this, certainly won't be the last.

You made some valid points about the desire to win, and doing anything to win at all cost, and 99 out of 100 times the results is some torn up race cars, but today, it was different, fans got hurt, but I am not wanting to blame the drivers just yet, I need to go back and watch the wreck to see what really happen. We saw the desired to win all week long, going back to Monday and Tuesday with the Modified and K&N sereis race's battle on the beech on the back stretch, but that was with speeds around 100mph.

There is a fine line when it comes to doing anything to win, and its hard to say what happened today was someone trying to hard to win, I did not see the interview, but the driver that caused the wreck did take the blame, and knows that he is at fault, and the driver was last year Sprint Cup Champion Brad K, again, thats what I am hearing and been reading.

I was in suspense for the last 10 laps, they wrecked every lap, but were able to save it every-time, it was some amazing driving going on, and some great saves as well, but the luck just ran out.