Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Is Completed

mrmike

This is a build I am doing for the Classic Plastic Model Club 1/24 Scale Box Stock Club Challenge for our show on October 6, 2013. I am building the Revell of Germany Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. I was going to wait until later in the year to start this project, but I fear that time may not be on my side especially with a Skill Level 4 kit that I am not familiar with. After reading reviews of this kit in several places, the doors have been known to be warped and I want to be sure they are straight.

SLS01.jpg

My paint will be Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red.

SLS02.jpg

SLS03.jpg

I am hoping this build does not come back to bite me especially since I have high hopes for this kit and for placing well during the Club Challenge.

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

I've built this kit Mike & it's true about the doors, at least 1 of them might be slightly "warped", but, with a little muscle, can be bent into it's proper alignment. I'd get 'em out now & test fit them before any painting. The rest of tge kit is really sweet ( bar the tyres being too thick & the wheels being too small - typical Revell fare )

Cheers & good luck, Cliffo

Thank you Ray!

Been working on the chassis this afternoon. Nearly done save for the air cleaner assembly and the wheels and tires.

SLS10.jpg

SLS11.jpg

Many little decals to apply to the air cleaner assembly.

SLS12.jpg

More to come...

• 1 month later...

I thought I would pay a little attention to the SLS and stripped the plating from the wheels using Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner. The chrome was gone in 10 minutes. The wheels will be painted with Model Master Aluminium Metalizer.

SLS13.jpg

I mounted the front and rear bumpers in preparation for bodywork and paint.

SLS14.jpg

SLS15.jpg

More to come...

Nice thing to know about the Easy-Off on the newer chrome, Mike. Ten minutes is most impressive. I've had some luck with bleach on older AMT chrome (10-15 minutes), but have heard some trouble with some of the newer materials.

I'll be watching this with some curiosity, as the new SLS is one of the modern cars that actually does hold my interest.

I like the color choice, too.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks charlie! A CPMC member told me he uses Easy-Off Fume Free for stripping chrome successfully, so I had to give it a try. I have seen an SLS from across the intersection early last fall. It was pearl white and the exhaust note...awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
For a change of pace Sunday afternoon, I painted, decaled, and assembled the wheels and tires for the Merc.
SLS17.jpg
SLS18.jpg
Now that the wheels and tires have been assembled, I realize that I should have added a wash on the rotors. I can still do that through the wheels with a brush and a little patience. A mockup with the body.
SLS16.jpg
More to come...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Merc is back on the bench! Since I need to do some filling of sink marks, I pulled out my trusty tube of Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty and started to fill sink marks in the nose of the body, both doors, hood, and side view mirrors.

SLS22.jpg

SLS23.jpg

SLS24.jpg

I'll let the putty harden up and start sanding.

More to come...

I'm glad that you do, Arnold. Thanks!

Bodywork is done and it's time for paint to fly! This is two mist coats of Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red.

SLS25.jpg

SLS26.jpg

SLS27.jpg

I'm really happy with this color and after two mist coats, the coverage is fantastic! I'll have to get more of this color for an Audi R8 that I want to build later.

More to come...

• 2 weeks later...