Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Radical Pontiac J2000

CWD

Just picked up this model from fee-bay, relatively cheap, with all plans to build. Then, I looked at it, and I'm not sure I want to build it; all the parts are there, including decals, and the bags are still sealed. I built it as a kid when it came out, still have the built kit. Now, I'm wondering if I want to do something else with it.

Should I trade it away? Build it? Box-stock or mod? Dare I say, kit-bash it? Strip it and use it for parts?

Inquiring minds want to know... looking for input...

Un-tub it and make it a salt flats car :)

I was a very impressionable teenager when that car was built. At the time, it was the shizzle d'bizzle. Then again, so were hair bands. Thank the Gods my tastes matured quickly. :D

I think I'd still build it as a salt racer. Actually, send it to me if you get stumped, and I will. :P

Build it as the car its supposed to be, but like it was parked behind the shop and forgotten after the fad wore off.....rusty and neglected, with the engine in a stage of disassembly.

Yes! I like the sound of that. Build it, but rob some of the go fast parts off, fade the paint a bit, throw a tarp over part of it. These wild pro-street cars will be barn survivors some day too!

Build it as the car its supposed to be, but like it was parked behind the shop and forgotten after the fad wore off.....rusty and neglected, with the engine in a stage of disassembly.

Now that's a great idea right there!

loved this car and the model, Revell put like two more bodies on it, i jus got those for the parts!

those tires!!!!!!!!

i put this chassis under the revell anglia, i might even someday finish it!

I did the Corvette as a kid also, same chassis, engine, etc. Being as narrow as it is, the selection seems limited.

The aged pro street garage find survivor and the salt flat car ideas are both smoldering. Both will still yield some parts that aren't going to be used, like the tires, and most of the engine. Of course, that just means it'll end up in other projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this car in person at the Street Machine Nationals when it first debuted. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Rick Dobbertin was a super nice guy and went pretty much totally broke building it. He even hauled it to the Nats with a borrowed truck and trailer because he had sold his to finance the project. As over the top as it was, the car barely ran. It was built strictly as a fairgrounds trailer queen. I wonder what happened to it.

I saw this car in person at the Street Machine Nationals when it first debuted. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Rick Dobbertin was a super nice guy and went pretty much totally broke building it. He even hauled it to the Nats with a borrowed truck and trailer because he had sold his to finance the project. As over the top as it was, the car barely ran. It was built strictly as a fairgrounds trailer queen. I wonder what happened to it.

did a google search and this is what I found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IcUrjhWp_DAC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=RICK+DOBBERTIN%27S+PONTIAC+J-2000&source=bl&ots=cGe9fVcqmz&sig=Bb9V1GHpWD6mUMZrCnBYrfrafjY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1CE-Uaa1DMTz2QXNh4HoDw&ved=0CIgBEOgBMA0#v=onepage&q=RICK%20DOBBERTIN%27S%20PONTIAC%20J-2000&f=false

bobthehobbyguy

Kinda supports the notion to build one half under a tarp and half covered in bird poop and dust with some of the motor parts missing!