1/25 AMT '40 Willys Coupe/Pickup

84 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looks like this kit is arriving in August 2013, this time with the "blue stripe" new tool Goodyear slicks, and "Newly tooled vintage-style Halibrand mags are included, front and rear, for a tough gasser look" which I am assuming are the same as the newly tooled wheels in the Ohio George '33 Willys kit, as well as translucent red "glass". Sounds like it will be in the larger "art print" box like the '76 Gremlin and '40 Ford Gene Winfield Sedan Delivery kits, too:

product.jpg

http://round2models.com/models/amt/willys-coupe-pickup

Posted · Report post

This was always a good kit; now, it sounds even better!

Posted · Report post

Might have to pick this one up. Now if we can get Round 2 to reissue the Alexander Brothers '32 Sedan to go with it.....

Posted · Report post

I hope they call it a 1941 or make it the correct 1940. That's what they should do if they want to sell a ton of these, retool the grill to the 40.

You can't have too many Willys :P

Posted · Report post

The red "Street Coupe" and the yellow pickup were the only instances of the Willys being issued alone, in one body style. These were part of a narrow-box "budget" series around 1976. There was also a custom-only '69 Corvair, stock-only Opel GT, and several of the altered-wheelbase funny cars with mufflers added to make them "street freaks". The Parnelli Jones Watson roadster and Lotus Indy car were issued also.

Posted · Report post

so is this in fact the very same tool as was issued back in the early sixties with the chopped 32 sedan with the quad headlamp edsel insert grille? if so...wow, thats old. and i wish they brought back the 32 as well.

Posted · Report post

so is this in fact the very same tool as was issued back in the early sixties with the chopped 32 sedan with the quad headlamp edsel insert grille? if so...wow, thats old. and i wish they brought back the 32 as well.

Yes, it is.

Posted · Report post

Since I know nothing about this kit, how does it compare to the Revell's gasser version?

Posted · Report post

In my opinion. Not even close. Revells hands down.

Posted · Report post

While it builds up pretty nice, I agree that it is not even close to the Revell Willys kit.

Posted · Report post

How does the AMT '40 compare to the '60s era Revell S-W-C Swindler A kit?

Posted (edited) · Report post

How does the AMT '40 compare to the '60s era Revell S-W-C Swindler A kit?

The AMT kit goes together easier, while the old tooling Revell kit has better proportions.

AMT kits from the period had unrealistically treaded vinyl tires while Revell had two piece vinyl tires that made seamless assembly almost impossible- both benefit from swapping in some vintage MPC or late model Revell rubber if you are building a gasser from either manufacturer. Mid to late 1980's reissues of the old Revell kit (and other Revell reissues of the period) had unplated parts and chrome that was so full of flash they were practically unusable and lots of debris in the chrome and/or partial plating coverage...stay away from the "Street Demons" and "Hot Rod" boxed versions if looking for vintage Revell kits online unless you're prepared to do a lot of work making things look and fit right.

Edited by gman

Posted · Report post

The AMT kit goes together easier, while the old tooling Revell kit has better proportions.

AMT kits from the period had unrealistically treaded vinyl tires while Revell had two piece vinyl tires that made seamless assembly almost impossible- both benefit from swapping in some vintage MPC or late model Revell rubber if you are building a gasser from either manufacturer. Mid to late 1980's reissues of the old Revell kit (and other Revell reissues of the period) had unplated parts and chrome that was so full of flash they were practically unusable and lots of debris in the chrome and/or partial plating coverage...stay away from the "Street Demons" and "Hot Rod" boxed versions if looking for vintage Revell kits online unless you're prepared to do a lot of work making things look and fit right.

Actually, the original versions of both kit had really nice tires in them. It was the latter 70's and up issues that had the crummy tires.

Posted · Report post

JB...be watching your mail box or hobby store magazine shelf for more on that '32 sedan (if you haven't already seen it...) TIM

Posted · Report post

In my opinion. Not even close. Revells hands down.

While it builds up pretty nice, I agree that it is not even close to the Revell Willys kit.

For a just about 50 year old tool (as of this coming October), it does pretty well. The tilt front end is mega-cool and the fully upholstered, tuck'n''roll interior is way cool as well....but you really need one of the original issues with the correct shallow'n'deep Halibrands and tires....TIM

Posted · Report post

>JB...be watching your mail box or hobby store magazine shelf for more on that '32 sedan (if you haven't already seen it...)

here i thought maybe R2 was announcing reissuing it, oh joy oh joy, but i take it you mean the double kit being featured heavily in your article in 174? actually i am more interested in the XR6, i have hoarded up a few of those kits and buildups and its gonna be a project in the next year to build one up nice. it was always a pretty simple and well fitting kit, if you ignored the panel junctions which i could manage when i was 12 but i think now i will try it to a bit more exacting specification. i always dug that goofball asymetrical design

but back to the willys, i always liked that AMT version, way easier to build than the revell ones though less detailed but the tilt front end made up for it and i never particularly liked opening doors anyhow.

Now this one I could buy. mainly for the slicks, but a lot more parts and pieces I can use. Am I reading this right, this kit has a flip ft end ?

I built a Revell SWC kit a LOOOOOONG time ago and hated it because I never could get the opening doors to work right.

When I went to Bowling Green Ky this summer for the Hot Rod Reunion there were all kinds of Willys gassers running around, it was actually pretty cool.

ps, whats the difference between a 1940 and a 1941 ?

Edited by gtx6970

Posted · Report post

Yes, it is.

de3c_9b12.jpg?c=d935

Let's see six different Willys kits ?

1) AMT double with '32 custom 140.jpg single versions mtmGDcMs7lTX75juJK1TJBg.jpg

2) AMT pick up T1841-th.jpg with coupe 140.jpg

3) Early Revell SW&C 109052995-260x260-0-0_revell+revell+ston

4) Revell pick up 109000822-260x260-0-0_revell+rare+revell

5) New Revell Coupe 96608195-260x260-0-0_Revell+Revell+Big+J

6) Revell street Rod "version" 1941_Willys_StreetRod_Box_1-th.jpg

Yes, I know '40, '41 and '43 ? but all Willys just the same.

Edited by Greg Myers

Posted · Report post

Really only 4, the AMT pickup and coupe are from the same tooling.

The "new" wheels in the Round2 resto-issue will be the new 5 window mags from the Ohio George Willys, plus new fronts which, from what I've been told, will be based on the new fronts in the MPC Bounty Hunter, but with lugnuts instead of spindle mount. Not sure that they will replicate anything in the 1:1 world (maybe an "inside out" mounted Halibrand with the reinforcement webbing on the visible side?) but should at least look cool!

Posted · Report post

Really ?

Coupe

5553607840_ef88604a9d_z.jpg

Pick Up

1211sr-10-z+1941-willys-pickup+.jpg

Posted · Report post

Now this one I could buy. mainly for the slicks, but a lot more parts and pieces I can use. Am I reading this right, this kit has a flip ft end ?

ps, whats the difference between a 1940 and a 1941 ?

Yes, I believe it does have a flip front end. As for the difference between a 40 and 41, there's not much if we're talking gassers, especially ones with fiberglass front ends. 40's had a split grille, but most fiberglass front ends usually are cut to resemble 41 grilles.

Posted · Report post

Really ?

What do pictures of real cars* have to do with models? Yes, the AMT 40 Willys is a 2'n1 kit, coupe OR pickup. It's been that way since the 2nd issue (first issue as a stand alone kit, IIRC) .

*The real deals were built on a common platform (known as the "Americar" after '41) which was in production from 1937 to 1942. Ford had just started making their first pickup not based on a passenger car in 1937, so the Willys was like most other pickups of the time, based on a passenger car.

Posted · Report post

2013 must be a banner year for Willys models, as Revell has the new tool Street Rod already out, the K.S. Pittman modern-tool gasser version in the current lineup, and the old-tool '41 pickup about to be reissued.

Posted · Report post

2013 must be a banner year for Willys models, as Revell has the new tool Street Rod already out, the K.S. Pittman modern-tool gasser version in the current lineup, and the old-tool '41 pickup about to be reissued.

And don't forget the resto-reissue of the AMT Ohio George 33 Willys.

A reissue of the AMT 33 Willys panel van with decals for the "Dogcatcher" gasser it was based on would be cool, since they used the Dogcatcher for the body measurements, but never issued it with Dogcatcher decals.