Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trust

chevyfever2009

As to one of the other memebers comments on another topic which is now locked i have to express something as a Newer member if no one wants to trade with newer members how are we suppose to earn trust and what makes you not rip off a newer member i known this to happen i have a friend on this site as well and he sent a memeber been on here for awhile money for postage for some parts and the member never sent them . So it doesnt matter if your new or been here ten years theres always that chance you can get ripped off by anyone if thers new or a member for awhile . As my grand father always said you have to trust people intill they lose that trust you give them to start with

As to one of the other memebers comments on another topic which is now locked i have to express something as a Newer member if no one wants to trade with newer members how are we suppose to earn trust and what makes you not rip off a newer member i known this to happen i have a friend on this site as well and he sent a memeber been on here for awhile money for postage for some parts and the member never sent them . So it doesnt matter if your new or been here ten years theres always that chance you can get ripped off by anyone if thers new or a member for awhile . As my grand father always said you have to trust people intill they lose that trust you give them to start with

I agree with you,and your Grandfather was right about what he said.

You have to trust once then when its broken it never gets built back up with the person that ripped you off.

I always have second thoughts when trading with some one.

New member or not,however I have only been ripped off one time and I can't let one sorry person be the reason that I don't trust others.

Trust may be given, but it best when earned. I have been burned by untrustworthy people, the trust I gave them was my own. It is always better to do business with those you know. IMO
But has is it earned if nobody wants to trade with newer members because they dont trust them in the same sense as a newer member how do we know we can trust you or the person where trading with so it goes back to you have to give some kind of trust to do trades with people otherwise we all will be sittin here spinning our wheels

Brad,

You are right in that trust is earned but it also requires patience to earn it. I have been here a long time, among the first 100 or so members of this forum, but if we haven't traded before, you and I have to decide if we want to trade, this earning each other's "trust". Many members here, myself included, have seen people come on here and start asking for trades and free stuff from day one, and in my humble opinion, that is not how you build trust. We all have needs and wants, but to come on here and expect others to trust you on day one is asking a lot. Factor in the cost of trading and it isn't a kit I paid $10 for 12 years ago, it is the time and expense of going to the post office on top of the $10 and THAT is why I hesitate to trade most of the time.

Hang in there, you sound like a younger member and in due time you will see more and learn more here. Be patient and you will reap the benefits, not just here but in life in general.

I think the best way to show some of these guys that you are serious about trading is to stick on here for about a month or so and get involved in the community,build up your post count,make some friends, start with simple trades like wheels for wheels or something like that,then once the simple trades are complete polity ask the other trader to post you in the good trader thread.

if no one wants to trade with newer members how are we suppose to earn trust

First, don't assume people DON'T want to trade with others because they are newer members, but also understand that some may be a bit skeptical when newer members frequent the Trade and Wanted sections after being here a very short period of time.

So it doesnt matter if your new or been here ten years theres always that chance you can get ripped off by anyone if thers new or a member for awhile . As my grand father always said you have to trust people intill they lose that trust you give them to start with

Yes, "old" members have ripped their fellow members off, too, so it's not exclusive to "new" members.

You can't make someone trust you, so you have to try to earn it, maybe by offering to send your half of the trade first. Once the trading partner receives his/her half of the trade s/he can ship your package without worry.

Over at the replica prop forum it's not so much a question of trust, but a question of community. They have a minimum post count and time as a member before you can trade. They don't want hucksters joining just to "get" something then split. They want members who contribute to the overall participation. Otherwise it's just grab and go with no accountability, no sharing and no benefit to the other members.

Edited by Lunajammer

But the one thing i wanna point out is that i have found a few people that will trade with a newer person kit for kit or watever else.I told them when ill ship them and with the kits i give them a tracking number for them to see here there kit is . I have bought many items on what you all call evilbay and i had a seller going out of town the day i bought but didnt pay for not so cheap lot of models ,but he sent them out before i paid for them trusting me i would pay for them wich i did. So i wouldnt have to wait for them until he got back to send them out. ive been doing this hobby since i was 6/7 off and on so im not new to the game ive been in the hobbie a while.

I'm not sure what the point you are trying to make is... I don't think the community here has a "trust issue" when it comes to trading with newer members. I am a newer member and I have by now completed a few trades without any problems whatsoever. I also received parts for free and sent stuff without asking for anything in return... All according to agreement.

First, don't assume people DON'T want to trade with others because they are newer members, but also understand that some may be a bit skeptical when newer members frequent the Trade and Wanted sections after being here a very short period of time. Yes, "old" members have ripped their fellow members off, too, so it's not exclusive to "new" members. As members dont you want the new members to get involed in the site and I posted this because it really bothered me when another member said they wouldnt trade with newer members i have found some great members to trade with have a few trades underway. Now as my gma always use to tell me is if something is bothering u or offended you voice it out so people now that what they said bothered you.

just some advice here...i was ripped off on some parts recntly...member was far from "new"...so yea it is silly...chevyfever here has bought a few items locally, he even takes it an pays later and has not once never payed when he said...

so it is a risk ive learned...i wait until i get a tracking number showing its sent, or i recive the parts if ive never dealt with one...

I haven't done any trades on the board, mainly because I haven't needed anything. I've been at the hobby a long time, so I have most everything that is common. I'd be more looking for things I'd rather see first.

Postage has gotten expensive as the rates keep going up. I remember when Priority Mail was $3.95 for up to 2 pounds!

I'm more like if a friend needs a part I have, I just send it to them! Especially if it's something they need to get a model done.

But has is it earned if nobody wants to trade with newer members because they dont trust them in the same sense as a newer member how do we know we can trust you or the person where trading with so it goes back to you have to give some kind of trust to do trades with people otherwise we all will be sittin here spinning our wheels

The best way to gain trust is to develop a relationship. Whether it is in person or on-line does not matter. It is just as we are doing here, having a conversation. I have already learned your grandparents are pretty good people!

Let's not forget swap meets are a great place to fing those items we are looking for.

They want members who contribute to the overall participation. Otherwise it's just grab and go with no accountability, no sharing and no benefit to the other members.

While I won't speak for Gregg, I think that's the same reason this forum exists, and why I often repeat my opinion that the Trade and Wanted sections are "bonuses" here on the forum, and shouldn't be the main and/or only reason for coming here.

Brad, what you suggested earlier, sending your part of the trade first is actually the best strategy, and it's been proven that the "all A" method works best, where all parties trust and cooperate with each other, because all parties benefit. See, I did learn something in Philosophy 101. :D Don't take it personally if someone doesn't want to trade with you, though, as there may be something better coming next. ;)

Harry and I discussed the "minimum number of posts in order to post in the Trade/Wanted section", but we both agreed not only does that discriminate against new members, but it does nothing to keep older members from being dishonest, either. As stated in the Trading Guidelines, it's all about trust and accepting the risk.

...i was ripped off on some parts recntly...member was far from "new"...

Yep, me too, and I've been here awhile. Well...I won't say I've been burned yet, but the lack of communication from the other party (an established member) makes me assume so.

I don't really have a problem trading with newer members, everybody has to start somewhere, but I never trade more than I can afford to lose in any case.

I think the best way to show some of these guys that you are serious about trading is to stick on here for about a month or so and get involved in the community,build up your post count,make some friends, start with simple trades like wheels for wheels or something like that,then once the simple trades are complete polity ask the other trader to post you in the good trader thread.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. This is exactly how internet trading on a forum should be done. Not a just joined member wanting to trade high dollar kits.

Trading is inherently risky, whether you're trading with a new guy or an established member. There are no guarantees in any trade. Trade at your own risk.

well put,.. i took a risk, ive traded with 2 members and had super good trades...

the one that screwed me was even a MCM Avid Poster...

so yes its a risk...

i traded some decals from modeltruckin and had them sent to his house....never again will i do something like that...i lost a lil over 15 bucks, vs under 10 trading parts...lesson learned

do some research is my advice...i like to call individuals, check on some other posts...check the good traders list and so on

Guest G Holding

I was raised and still believe that trust is earned, not given

Stick around do what Austin suggested, thats the best way to earn everyones trust here , its really just that simple.

Well I see our difference....I was taught to give and when returned , Trust follows. Trust can be earned, but it comes from the heart so pay heed.

I taught my kids, "If you can't afford to be without, don't let it go then" and if you give, you will get something in return...either value or a lesson.

Then again we are just a bunch of hick farm boys........ :P :P

:P

Well I see our difference....I was taught to give and when returned , Trust follows. Trust can be earned, but it comes from the heart so pay heed.

I taught my kids, "If you can't afford to be without, don't let it go then" and if you give, you will get something in return...either value or a lesson.

Then again we are just a bunch of hick farm boys........ :P :P

:P

Not saying thats a rule that is set in stone that I live by, I do trust people before its earned, its just a case by case basis ;)