Model Cars Magazine Forum

Advance Auto Parts SALE

crazyjim

Just in today's mail - Advanced Auto parts sale for February 28 through March 27, 2013.

Duplicolor Perfect Match paints - buy one and get one free.

ALL Duplicolor sandable primers are $1.00 off.

Do you need the ad? Sounds like a good sale, I love Dupli-Color paints. Thanks Jim!

Any specific type to look for?

Acrylic Lacquer?

Enamel?

Would I need to do any wet sanding before clear coat? <<This question is probably a give and take. I know humidity and temp play a major role in the answer. Just generally speaking.

James,

The Dupli Color paints sold at Advance are sprays that you would use to touch up a paint job on a 1:1 car or truck. Only solid colors would be color sanded as a metallic paint would lose it's metallic pigments if you were to sand it before clearing.

Be sure to pick up colors and clears, along with their primers. They are very compatible to model plastic.

James,

The Dupli Color paints sold at Advance are sprays that you would use to touch up a paint job on a 1:1 car or truck. Only solid colors would be color sanded as a metallic paint would lose it's metallic pigments if you were to sand it before clearing.

Be sure to pick up colors and clears, along with their primers. They are very compatible to model plastic.

Well alrighty then! Thanks for the advice. A unplanned trip to Advance tomorrow is now in store.

James,

James, Mike gave some good advice, but, be careful, Duplicolor is a hot paint/primer , and it will craze Revells new plastic, and dont think about using on kits from Tamiya , Aoshima, Fujimi, I have had issues with all those at one time, and its hit or miss, so just be careful,

James, Mike gave some good advice, but, be careful, Duplicolor is a hot paint/primer , and it will craze Revells new plastic, and dont think about using on kits from Tamiya , Aoshima, Fujimi, I have had issues with all those at one time, and its hit or miss, so just be careful,

I've used Duplicolor sucessfully on Tamiya kits, but used Tamiya white primer on the bare styrene first.

Always test though, using sprue or an unused kit part to be sure... ;)

Edited by jeffs396

I stopped in a local store here, and they have them for buy one, get one at half off (not free). I am in PA, so I`m not sure if it`s different in other locations.

So... Is it safe to say that the Dupli-Color paint works well with models? :rolleyes:

I have had pretty decent results with Duplicolor. :) I`ll also second what the others have sad about testing on sprue.

I stopped in a local store here, and they have them for buy one, get one at half off (not free). I am in PA, so I`m not sure if it`s different in other locations.

Same here in the Milwaukee area, and as stated in their monthly flyer:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/Attachment/staticbusinesscontent/image/mar-2013-flexi.pdf

I Worked for advance for 2 years and now cannot stand them I feel I was the only one working the store that knew anything about cArs! Noone at any of the stores here knows how to look anything up Without a computer 9out of 10 times the part I want is "not available" in their computers don't have that problem at o'reillys. Oh soRry we were talkin about duplicolor paint!

It's the same here in Florida . The tag at the store said the same thing the ad said :

in big red letters " BUY ONE GET ONE " and then off to the side is " 50% off 2nd can "

Kind of a sneaky way to get you into the store .