Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren MK 8 A wip Update 3-10 Done !

cobraman

I always liked this car and thought it was high time to build one. So far no problems with the kit although I am not very far yet. The upper body is one piece but it is meant to be cut into 4 pieces, front clip, rear clip and the two doors. I did cut the rear clip off so it will be removable but left the doors attached to the front. Why ? I didn't care for the way they require the doors to be mounted so they will rotate open. They ask that you use tape. No thanks. Anyone build this kit ? Good, bad ? Photos ?

dodge002_zps80c5967f.jpg

dodge003_zps772fbb7a.jpg

Edited by cobraman

Love love love these cars. I worked a test day at Road Atlanta when Team McLaren were working on developing a turbocharger installation. Peter Revson driving. We were told if the car stopped off course and flames were coming from the turbo outlet (due to leaking turbo oil seals) we were NOT to use extinguishers, but to use the soles of our feet to smother the flame in the pipe. To the best of my recollection, the turbo engine never competed.

I built one of these kits many years ago and seem it remember it didn't have any particular horrible issues. Have one on the shelf now, and I'll be watching your build with much interest.

Ray, There have been a couple of those built lately with nice results. I'll be following this one. Oh By The Way it's an 8D not 8A. The 8A had a spoiler not a Wing.

Bill good memory. The McLaren Team never ran Turbos in compitition during the Original CanAm Series.

I worked a test day at Road Atlanta when Team McLaren were working on developing a turbocharger installation. Peter Revson driving. We were told if the car stopped off course and flames were coming from the turbo outlet (due to leaking turbo oil seals) we were NOT to use extinguishers, but to use the soles of our feet to smother the flame in the pipe.

^ This is amazing!

Build looks like a cool one. Can't wait to see it.

I've still got one of these that I bought back in the early '80s. Never got around to building it, which is kind of strange since I was fascinated by so many of the cars in the Can-Am series.

Can't wait to see what Ray does with this one.

Edited by Monty

Minor set back here. Was spraying the body today. Put the body on my stands and placed them in the spray booth. ( really a cardboard box, but it's a nice box. : ) ) Anyway, I normally see how a can sprays before hitting the model but did not do it today. Brand new can had a bad nozzel and "spit" when i used it. Not too bad. I don't have to strip I think I can give it a sanding and be good to go. I was using enamel so I will have to wait a bit. 50 years of building and I still do stupid stuff !

Wow, too bad on the Spray. If you plan on using the supplied decals you're going to need to modify the Roll bar. For it to be correct you'd need to renumber the car with # 48 or #7 as Dan Gurney and Peter Guthin were the only ones to drive the M8D with the additional loop.

Curious Ray, Where about's in AZ are you located?

Edited by Crazy Ed

Wow, too bad on the Spray. If you plan on using the supplied decals you're going to need to modify the Roll bar. For it to be correct you'd need to renumber the car with # 48 or #7 as Dan Gurney and Peter Guthin were the only ones to drive the M8D with the additional loop.

Curious Ray, Where about's in AZ are you located?

Thanks for the info Ed. Probably build it right out of box even if not 100 % correct. I need to do a search for photos and check it out. I am on the west side in Laveen.

Thanks for the info Ed. Probably build it right out of box even if not 100 % correct. I need to do a search for photos and check it out. I am on the west side in Laveen.

Never a Problem. Heck it's your Kit so enjoy it a Do It Your Way! If there's specific info you're lookin' for let me know as I have a fair amount of reference material here. Ok, guessin' about where the pavement ends. :D

Got a little more done on this kit. Body is painted but still needs to be decaled and cleared. There is too much chrome and probably should have stripped some. The rear suspension is a little fidgety and it seems the pipes get in the way a bit but that could very well be my fault. Not going to be a 100 % replica of the real car but hopefully it will at least turn out to be a nice display piece.

mklaren3002_zpsf026282c.jpg

mklaren3001_zps70726476.jpg

I'll be watching this one. I built it when I was not quite yet a teenager, and it was definitely beyond my best efforts at the time but to my child brain these race cars were from another planet...so I had to give it a shot! I still have pieces of it floating around in a junk box. One of these days, I'd like to take another crack at it.

I'm waiting. and watching for issues if any .

I built one of these the 1st time around and didn't do it any justice. When the re-issue came out a few years ago I grabbed 2 (just in case )

Hopefully the next time it's turn out much better

Got a little more done on this build. Has been decaled and cleared. Photos are a mock up only. I am not quite that far along. Build is coming along ok I think but I should have stripped some of the chrome. No major fit issues yet. I know the purests may notice it is not quite the right color and other things are not exactly correct but close enough for me. If you look closely you will notice one of the valve covers are upside down. Not trying to start any trouble but it was done in support of our friend John. Hey, it's my build and I can do as I see fit right ? Thanks for looking and comments good or bad are always welcome.

mclaren4001_zps6f2c15b7.jpg

mclaren4002_zpsc8c50ff9.jpg

mclaren4003_zps2a48d2ce.jpg