Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Danko Dodge Charger - finished!

Larryhagmansliver

It could really use the fender scoop details, the wider rear fenders, the shaker scoop and the black out treatment, you know make it look sort of like the concept car picture.

What happened to the front wheel wells?

Huh? The inner wheel wells are completely stock. All that was changed on the chassis was I shortened the front a bit.

As for the other details, I'm not an expert at this or anything I was just having fun. Kinda the point...isn't it?

I'm surprised that they are "stock". I mean all the other ones I have seen, as well as the box art look like this:

rmxs4225_zpsc8c3d588.jpg

revell-2007-dodge-charger-srt8-super-bee

(I am referring to the body fenderwells, not the inner fenders indide the body. Notice the shape?)

Not so much like this:

dankochargermodel010.jpg

If I got a kit with that much distortion I'd have exchanged it for a good one.

Yes I agree fully, having fun is a main reason to build. But from the statement that you were building a model based on that cool concept, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect it to have some of the prominent features that make it that cool car? One doesn't have to be an expert to copy from pictures...

You went to the point of scratchbuilding the taillight, that's more effort than most put into their models.

:

Yes I agree fully, having fun is a main reason to build. But from the statement that you were building a model based on that cool concept, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect it to have some of the prominent features that make it that cool car? One doesn't have to be an expert to copy from pictures...

And Neil never said he was going to build an exact replica. From what I see, he took some elements from the concept car and made it his own. If he likes the car, then it's a success!

And Neil never said he was going to build an exact replica. From what I see, he took some elements from the concept car and made it his own. If he likes the car, then it's a success!

Well, to be fair Tom, and to put my comments in context, I was going off this statement in his original post:

"This is the Charger that Dodge should have built! As soon as I saw this thing, I began thinking of ways to convince the wife that we "need" one. Since no legitimate arguments came to mind yet, I decided to devote some energy to creating a styrene version."

I get Mark's point, and in a constructive criticism sort of way, he did point out several things on the model which are missing, at least compared to the rendering. I also see the leading edge of the front wheel arches were changed, and I suspect it happened when the '69 style nose was integrated.

This is not an easy conversion and requires a lot of work, some of it very meticulous, and requires a lot of time. I would've liked to have seen all the details of the rendering captured in the model, and I think that's what Mark was pointing out, too. Adding things like the shaker scoop, '70 Charger style door (fender) indentions, the optional Challenger/Charger wheels (found in the Revell Challenger kit IIRC), and the bumble bee butt stripe-- all of which are very visible elements on the rendering-- are missing on the model.

You had some good ideas, especially using the red pill bottle, but we can all learn from our own builds and what other people's eyes see which we may have missed ourselves.