Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Belly Tanker, A Really Small One...

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was consolidating some aircraft parts I had gotten many years ago in a trade and came across a drop tank from I believe a 1/32nd scale P-51. Of course, the first thing I think of is "belly tanker" as most of us car guys would. The only problem was it's size. At 3", it was a bit small for my normal scale of 1/24-1/25th. Then, I compared it to one of the 1/43rd cars I had here and it looked about right. A few calculations and at 1/43rd, this guy was just over 12' in scale. Real belly tankers ran 13 footers so I liked it. What to do about the motor, wheels and tires? I found a Miasto Model A and a Hot Wheels Model T Roadster, both about 1/50th or so. THe Model A donated it's wheels & tires while the T donated it's dual carbed flathead and radius rods. While the parts aren't as accurate as I would like, they're still a fair starting point. I'll be detailing them to be more accurate and in scale. Still need to source a trans, rear end and front axle but hey, got the major parts in short order. Here's just a size-comparison mock up:

DSC03283_zps6789473f.jpg

DSC03279_zpsa40cf028.jpg

DSC03278_zps7b810d5a.jpg

Size comparo with my iPhone:

DSC03284_zps220bc08c.jpg

The carnage...

DSC03282_zpsdbd40cd5.jpg

I don't know how much time I can devote to this guy anytime soon but it's a start. As always, comments welcome.

Edited by torinobradley

Posted · Report post

yes yes yes ..

thats exactly what my plan was , buy a cheap earoplane kit and use the hull for a belly tanker !!

so awsome idea :lol:

cool !

Posted · Report post

Heh. Cool!

Posted · Report post

Love the belly tankers. Nice project.

Posted · Report post

mr xydias would be proud!

Posted · Report post

I've thought of a "real" scale Mustang donating a tank for a Lakester .. cool project!