Model Cars Magazine Forum

What books about models & the model car industry do you recommend?

I recently received a Barnes & Noble gift certificate and now I'm interested in hearing your recommendations for interesting books about car models & the car model industry. For example, I think there's supposed to be a fairly good book about Monogram.

I don't know if the books still have to be in print in order to buy them through B&N, so if you can provide me with the actual title & author, or even better, with the ISBN, I can check on that.

Monty, I know that in my collection I have several top volumes that have given me years of inspiration and pleasure:

PAT COVERT'S NEW BOOK that brings together three previous volumes plus new materials published by MOTOR BOOKS.

And the other volume (and this one is going to be harder for you to find) is

KEN HAMILTON's book on building creative automotive dioramas.

Cranky's "Ratz,rodz,and rust" is more than any coffee table book you will ever buy.I got one from him at a show and do not regret it one bit,full of tips and a nice showcase at the end. I will be purchasing his new book soon and I expect it to be just as good as the first one. Thanks Cranky for providing us with such a valuable piece of modeling literature as there really isn't much out there.

If it were up to me , I'd suggest buying books that give reference to the real car subjects that interest you the most . You can then refine you're building skills much better than looking at pictures of someone else's models ................

crazyjim has the Monogram book up for trade

And cheap too! No cash - just complete, unbuilt kits.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this one. AS I quickly recall, it's like Reader's Digest size. If I have it and you want to trade complete, unbuilt kits for it, just let me know.

Just dug up one of my old favorites- Bill Neumann's 'Building Model Cars' from his 'Here is your Hobby' series (ca 1970)...

carshow1_zps780814b7.jpg

Some aspect of almost every model on that table was touched on by Mr Neumann in his chapters on tool selection, painting, detail work etc. Thought it was a neat pic to get the juices flowing and provoke some nostalgia. I think I've owned or built ninety percent of what's sitting there; how about you guys?

mike

Edited by mk11

Dr Cranky.... do you have any decent link or title for the "New" Pat Covert book? It sounds great if it combines stuff from his previous hard to find and expensive books, but I can't find anything on Amazon UK or Com, and I can't even find a web site for Motor Books International to look in their "Forthcoming Titles" section... ?

bestest,

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all you fine peeps ,before i waste any money on books or dvd's on building and detailing can you fine folk recommend anything thats a must have ,, i need these books because i do believe some of you builders are not human and are from another planet :wacko: ,, Thanks ,, Anne