Model Cars Magazine Forum

What books about models & the model car industry do you recommend?

Check for "How to" books and articles at all the Model Car sites to start . They all have publications to help modelers make better more rewarding finished builds . Bill Coulter , is one of these writers . Mark Gustovin makes Customs (one of a kinds) and I think he has something in Print . There are many more to choose from . I don't want to advertise here all the other Magazines . A Google search , or any search Engine would net some results also . If you cannot find any info from these sources or get any more help help here from this thread , PM me . Thanx ..

SAE back when Gary Schmit used to own it printed a whole series of "How To Books" for modelers. The covered Paint, Customs Dioramas and trucks. Even Nascar! They are a very good source of info for tips udeas an other goodies. They're pretty good refference material, an should be still able to find if ya ask the guys on here! Hth.

I can recommend Shep Paine's "How to Build Dioramas"- it might be geared toward dioramas but it contains a wealth of info for all types of modeling. Also, "Hints and Tips for Plastic Modeling"- it has an aircraft on the cover, but it's NOT specific to any one type or genre of plastic modeling. Both are softcover, both are early '80's vintage, but some things never change and are always pertinent. You might be able to find them "cheap" at a flea market, model show, etc. Good luck in your search for literature- it's always good to have something tangible to look at when you need some info or reference material.

Skip's right...there is a wealth of information about how to do most anything right on the Tips / Tricks and Modeling Q&A sections of this and the other model car forums. Most of the forums have search functions, but some work better than others. For example, what sometimes works well if seeking a specific topic on this one is to go to google and enter "modelcarsmag" followed by the specific topic you're looking for. I just tried it with "engine wiring" and got good hits at the top of the list.

You'll begin to easily recognize what's good info and what's useless pretty quick.

Dr Cranky.... do you have any decent link or title for the "New" Pat Covert book? It sounds great if it combines stuff from his previous hard to find and expensive books, but I can't find anything on Amazon UK or Com, and I can't even find a web site for Motor Books International to look in their "Forthcoming Titles" section... ?

bestest,

M.

http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/sp-090.htm

Also available on ebay (US) and amazon.com.

But if you're looking for new techniques, outdated material is useless.

Pat's book covers the basics, there is nothing "outdated" in it.

You might personally be beyond the skill level of the person that the book is aimed at, but that doesn't make the book outdated. It is what it is, a good solid overview of the basics of building and detailing model cars... just like the title says.

If you are a gourmet chef, that doesn't make a basic cookbook "outdated." it just means that particular cookbook is of no interest to you. But there are plenty of people just starting out cooking who could really use a cookbook that covers the basics.

Know what I mean? ;)

Jim, Harry is absolutely right, Pat's book is never outdated, but if you are an advanced model builder, you are going to need something more.

Which is where Doctor Cranky's going to come into the picture, and you will be happy to know.

DOCTOR CRANKY will soon be releasing a Guide Book on How To Paint Shiny Models!

How's that for a surprise!

There will be news on this volume soon. Stay tuned in.

Hi,

Mat Irvine (famous for K9 in Doctor Who) has done a couple of books on building model cars that you might useful, the second one is more of an update so that'd be the one to get.

Dr Cranky - I enjoyed your book, haven't had time to try the ideas in it yet but some materials are on my shopping list for a model show I'm going to this Sunday. Will definitely get your painting book when it comes out.

Cheers,

Jim

• 1 year later...

Well, this topic sent me on a search for older books on models that I know I have....somewhere...?? But I found a lot of cool stuff like group photo of the 1:1 car club members reunion taken years ago. Also tons of model magazines and all the paperwork from my entry at the 1991 G.S.L. Brought back some fine memories....and I WILL keep looking for those books!