Model Cars Magazine Forum

More work on my '50 Olds 88: Update, Chassis details finished!

Art Anderson

Finally got the interior parts painted and foiled! Those raised moldings on the interior side panels were chrome trim on the real cars, so foil got the call--hadda use Microscale Metal Foil adhesive due to the flat finish paint though. Colors are, based on a couple of decent reference pics found online: Light grey is Modelmaster Light Sea Gray enamel, the dark grey is ModelMaster Gunship Grey enamel--same colors on the seats. The molding along the top of the side panels is painted sheet metal on the real car, so that got painted Modelmaster Metallic Grey spray enamel (decanted, shot through an airbrush) and the same color used as the main, lighter color on the dashboard. The darker, inset panel on the dash is Modelmaster Charcoal Metallic lacquer, also decanted and sprayed through the airbrush:

50Oldsinteriorparts-vi.jpg

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

No pics at this time, but I just got done installing the kit tires on the '50 Olds--doesn't ANYONE make a set of 1/25 scale tire tools for mounting tires on this thing? Seriously, once assembled, this kit has perhaps the nicest wheel and tire units ever on a pre-1980 car--just the tires along have to be seen to be believed.

Well, once I get the chassis and floor pan assembled, with the exhaust system sandwiched in where it goes, and the engine installed, there will be a pic or two.

Art

Oops, I did almost forget though! The other day, after work, I painted and foiled the steering wheel. Gloss black (which matches what original interior pics I can find) got the call, along with some tedious BMF work on the horn ring and hub. But, what to do about the decal for the center, the horn button? I decided to make a 1/8" hole punch, by whittling out the inside of the end of a piece of 1/8" brass tubing. Centering that on the decal (still on it's backing) a short, sharp tap with a small hammer and I had the medallion decal, which then got secured in the hub with a small drop of CA. Last came the clear, domed button which covers the medallion--so a small drop of Devcon 5-min epoxy got the call there. The pic shows it:

Oldssteeringwheelandtools-vi.jpg

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Some more work, this time on the chassis: Brake lines! Lotsa fun doing those, fine plated copper beading wire, some very small styrene rod out of the UK (from about 20yrs ago, now out of production). The styrene rod is used to make the couplings, which meant drilling the stuff out to acept the ends of the various brake line sections, including the T-fittings. Sometimes, it's so nice to have rather severe nearsightedness! A master cylinder was scratchbuilt from bits of styrene, drilled out to accept the main brake lines.

Oldschassiswithbrakelines2-vi.jpg

Bottom view:

Oldschassiswithbrakelines1-vi.jpg

Closeup of the lines at the rear axle:

Oldschassiswithbrakelines3-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt master cylinder before painting:

linderscratchbuiltandinstalled-vi.jpg:

Thanks for looking!

Art

Olds chassis completed (well as far as can be until floorpan installed). This underneath view shows what viewers will see when the model is finished. The whole idea here is to add details that one would see with the car on a lift, so ultimately they will be hard to photograph against a floor pan--one of those things you'd have to see up close and personal.

ldschassisbottomviewcompleted1-vi.jpg

Art

Finally, the chassis is done, ready for interior and body installation. Added are complete hydraulic brake lines, coiumn gearshift linkage, fuel line, and emergency brake actuator cables with their appropriate armor sections. Under the hood, all wiring is now complete, except for a pair of generator leads, which have to wait until the body is installed.

Chassis: Oldschassisundersidecompleted-vi.jpg

Engine bay: (the battery is a scratchbuilt item, could not find a satisfactory 6V battery in any kit I have)

Oldsenginebaynearlycompleted-vi.jpg

Art