Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I knew I forgot something! Enamels & lacquers

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The hobby shop I go to which is close to my apt has the oddest selection of paints imho. 99% of the time I can only get the color I need in an enamel. But the only dullcoat/clearcoats they carry are testors lacquers. I've always been told you can't put a hotter paint on a cooler one. So is there anyway to get away with it?

Posted · Report post

I've used Dullcoat and Model Master Gloss Lacquer over Testors enamels with no problems at all. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've always airbrushed them.

Posted · Report post

You can use the lacquer spray over enamel, but you need to apply it with very light mist coats

Thats what I do, and it works

Posted · Report post

Testors lacquer dullcote and glosscoat have always worked for me when applied over Testors enamels. I am not aware that Testors makes an enamel clear. I thought the same about applying lacquer over enamel when I first started using it. The really weird thing I have found is that cheep lacquer thinner works with Testors enamel better than enamel thinner.

Posted · Report post

Testor's Clear & Dull have always been Called lacquer, but many have said they react more like enamel.

I use to use them, but kept having them Peal off. Especially on their 03 red.