Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Shelby GT500

jrherald420

My first large scale build, took me about 6 months but it sat in the box for about 4 months. Decals were weird, they were very thick but released after being in water for less than 15 seconds. The bumper decals were the hardest to get to lay flat. Only complaint would be i wish the stripes came in black, would have gave it the look i was after. This was my practice model for the real build, i'm going super detailed on the next one. Please give me honest feedback, if it looks flawed in any way PLEASE tell me. This is how we all become better builders. Thanks!

8522287467_654792f412_c.jpg
IMG_8136 by jrherald420, on Flickr

8522286041_2ddeed3b1e_c.jpg
IMG_8137 by jrherald420, on Flickr
8523398340_91b56f4729_c.jpg
IMG_8138 by jrherald420, on Flickr

8523395206_4cb54961f0_c.jpg
IMG_8143 by jrherald420, on Flickr
8523391200_00938f6613_c.jpg
IMG_8149 by jrherald420, on Flickr
8523392584_d73270c307_c.jpg
IMG_8147 by jrherald420, on Flickr
8522275435_d502c070c9_c.jpg
IMG_8151 by jrherald420, on Flickr

8522419409_c0e65eb671_c.jpg
IMG_8158 by jrherald420, on Flickr
Edited by jrherald420

Great looking job!!! I had trouble with the decals too, so I used white vinyl tape (electrical tape) from the Home Depot. It comes in many colors and it's about the perfect scale for 1:12. Just lay it down and try not to stretch and it comse out well.

Just a thought.

Al

It looks great James, the color looks really good on it, and so do the decals!

The only problem I see is the sides of the grilles, The area at the edges just look slightly off, and I can't put my finger on how to make it look better. Maybe some flat black in those holes would help give it a bit more depth, I don't really know for sure. Oh, and put some flat black inside the exhaust tips, they'll look much better! I've got one of these kits too, and look forward to getting mine built.

Edited by Custom Mike

It looks great James, the color looks really good on it, and so do the decals!

The only problem I see is the sides of the grilles, The area at the edges just look slightly off, and I can't put my finger on how to make it look better. Maybe some flat black in those holes would help give it a bit more depth, I don't really know for sure. Oh, and put some flat black inside the exhaust tips, they'll look much better! I've got one of these kits too, and look forward to getting mine built.

On the next one i'm planning on shaving the back of the grilles to open those holes up and give it more depth. Good call on the exhaust tips, i knew i was forgetting something!! The upper grill doesn't fit right because stupid me forgot to test fit it before painting. Once i painted the body and grill it wouldn't fit, i tried to shave off some paint but i was cutting it close. Lesson learned for the next one right?

I think that looks great!! I really like the white stripes. I dont think I would like it as much with black stripes. I really like the body color choice. Is that pewter? Silver?

The color is Plymouth platinum metallic, i was wanting black stripes to recreate one that drives around here. Its kinda the same color with black rims, black striped and tinted windows, it looks sick.

Edited by jrherald420

You sir have done an beautiful job on this car. Very clean. The only thing I might suggest is taking note of how high the hood sits compared to the fenders. I wouldn't say to sand the bottom of the hood to lower it down cause it matches up with the grille perfectly. I would take and sand on the top to blend it with the fenders. I'm looking forward to seeing the blue with the gunmetal rims.

I loved this build. It's a great looking car replicated into a great looking model. The color suits it perfect, and the stripes look great. If I were to change anything, I would only paint the inside of the xhaust tips, and maybe use some foil on the brake disks to make they look more like the real deal.

You sir have done an beautiful job on this car. Very clean. The only thing I might suggest is taking note of how high the hood sits compared to the fenders. I wouldn't say to sand the bottom of the hood to lower it down cause it matches up with the grille perfectly. I would take and sand on the top to blend it with the fenders. I'm looking forward to seeing the blue with the gunmetal rims.

Thanks!! The hood does fit better than it looks, it seems i just didn't push it all the way down after having it off (i did the hood off shots first).

I loved this build. It's a great looking car replicated into a great looking model. The color suits it perfect, and the stripes look great. If I were to change anything, I would only paint the inside of the xhaust tips, and maybe use some foil on the brake disks to make they look more like the real deal.

Thanks!! I agree on the inside of the exhaust tips, they will be painted black, i over looked it.

Never thought about the foil, i could use a tooth pick an make some circular lines around the rotor and then use a light wash to create the look of being used....Great idea! Thanks!!

that looks great I like the body paint that's nice man

Thank you. The paint is what i did first. It took me 4-3 oz cans before i got the color looking the way i wanted it. Then it took 5-3 oz cans of Model Masters Ultra Clear coat to give it the shine. It has not been sanded or buffed in anyway. I wish i would have buffed it before i put the decals on but i was sacred to after all the paint and clear, lol i don't know why i was scared of screwing it up, there's more than enough clear on it!!!

James... This looks great... I think the guys have given you some great pointers but one Thing I see is you need to work on the stace... this kit just sits to high for a shelby... Needs to come down about 2 scale inches to make it sit like a 1:1... JMHO... dan

I agree, it does sit a little high. The next one will be lowered, this one was just a box stock build to let me see what areas needed to be addressed.

Sounds funny but when i find a kit i really like and want to put the time into doing lots of detail work like wiring and such, i always build a "test" model first and take notes on what i want to change about the next one. I don't know if anybody else does this or not.

You did a great job on this kit. This is a perfect kit for anyone wanting to build their first large scale kit. I built one a few months ago and it was a pleasure to build and I did not have any issues in the building. The one thing I believe is wrong is with the decals is the stripe going down in the back all the way over the black section of the body. I cut that portion off my decals. I could not find any reference photos that showed the stripe going past where the black section started.

Thank you.

Your right the stripe does not go down over the black. I noticed it looked funny after it was done and already dried. I then checked my photos and found that its wrong. Don't know why something as simple as that was over looked in the directions. It will be removed when i black out the insides of the exhaust tips.

2010-ford-shelby-gt500-rear_zps5565f09f.

Edited by jrherald420