Model Cars Magazine Forum

revell's gmc tow truck and plow truck

I had this idea for some time now I wanted to take both the tow truck and plow truck and make one really nice truck meaning to have four wheel drive so far I built all of the plow truck to have the four wheel drive and new snow plow but were i'm having trouble is the tow bed the wheel wells don't line up with tires has anyone done this with better results or know were i need to strech the frame i'll try to take pictures in the next couple of days to show what i have going on so far

I believe you are trying to combine a Short-box (Plow kit) and Long box (Tow Truck)

Compare the wheelbase of both.

Mount all the 4x4 suspension and Plow attachments on the Tow Truck chassis

for this to work.

I do not know of any Short-chassis trucks being used for tow beds/booms.

All of them were mounted on long frames. (8 foot bed)

I built the Original of that Snap Tow Truck, Captain Hook' in 1980.

I hope to get the re-issue and the Snow plow kit too.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Swap the front axle from the Plow truck for the one in the Wrecker and your problem is solved, sort of. The engine detail on the wrecker truck is poor so if you are going for more detail, you will have to cut out the molded in engine and do some scratch building, not impossible, just takes a little time.

• 4 months later...

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier but the best way to make the GMC wrecker a 4x4 is to get a Revell snapkit second-gen Blazer; the front axle will literally snap in place. :)

Are you sure you don't mean AMT for the second gen Blazer? I know AMT recently reissued a 70s era Blazer, but I wasn't aware of Revell having one too.

Oh, and also I forgot, the problem with the wheel wells not lining up may not just be short vs longbed, it may be due to the fact that tow trucks are chassis cabs from the factory, and the wheelbases depend on what is ordered. My 1:1 is an ex wrecker that has a regular 8 foot bed on it now, and the wheel wells line up, but there is a gap of 6 inches between the bed and the cab.

Are you sure you don't mean AMT for the second gen Blazer? I know AMT recently reissued a 70s era Blazer, but I wasn't aware of Revell having one too.

Revell did have a snap kit of the 2nd gen Blazer. It hasn't been reissued since the mid '80s, last issue that I'm aware of being in the "Stomper" series with non-stock oversize tires styled after the tires on the Stomper 2 4x4 toys. See post #2 in this thread for pic of the Revell Blazer http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75490

A neat tip; Due to the scale difference, the bed from the wrecker will fit on the 1/24 scale GMC pickup frame with little issue. The wheelbase lines up just fine.

Edited by Longbox55

Revell did have a snap kit of the 2nd gen Blazer. It hasn't been reissued since the mid '80s, last issue that I'm aware of being in the "Stomper" series with non-stock oversize tires styled after the tires on the Stomper 2 4x4 toys. See post #2 in this thread for pic of the Revell Blazer http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75490

A neat tip; Due to the scale difference, the bed from the wrecker will fit on the 1/24 scale GMC pickup frame with little issue. The wheelbase lines up just fine.

Thanks for the info Bill, and maybe that is why I don't remember it, that was a little before my time! :lol:

As for the "Stomper" series, were those the ones with the claws that came out of the tires? I had one of those when I was a mere lad!

No. That was a different one, I forget the name of it. The Stompers were roughly 1/48 scale, with reasonably accurate, if slightly caricaturized, bodies. They ran on a single AA battery, and had working lights. The originals went through 2 designs, the early version had an open battery compartment and an unsealed motor housing, and were equipped with foam tires. The secons design had a cover for the battery, sealed motor, and came with both the original foam tires (indoor) and a set of hard rubber tires for outdoor used. The Stomper 2 kept the same basic layout, but had much wider tires (same wheels, though wheel brakage is common if the tires are swapped too often), added flares to the fenders, and the chassis was modified to allow for 2 speeds plus a neutral position. The switch for changing the gears, as well as turning the motor on, was located on the sides of the frame. There were a few variants of the frame, including a totally sealed version (except battery cover) with extra large plastic wheels with rubber treads that would float, and one that eliminated the high speed range to allow for a front pto drive for a mountable winch. There was also a line of semi trucks that drove all 3 axles that were very well proportioned, a 1/32 scale line that had the high/low 4x4 feature and the pto, a military themed line that included 1/2 tracks and tanks, and a pair of 1/25 scale "monster" trucks, which had a high/low 4x4 mode, a 2wd mode, plus a pto and a scale driver figure. And before you ask, yes, I had at least one of each, including several of the regular line, plus the pulling sled, and several of the track sets. Even better, I still have all of it. I never did pick up any of the model kits, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pko_iTP4sQ