Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond plate in scale?

Have any of you guys found a source for accurate diamond plate for 1/24th or 1/25 scale? I know there is the plastruct "double-diamond" plate, but I`m not sure if that is accurate to scale, and would really prefer the single diamond plate.

Thanks!

For Accurate 1/25 scale Single Diamond Treadplate, you need Plastruct's

HO-1/87, or O- 1/48 scale sheet.

I know, I have all the sizes they offered, and when comparing them to various kits, found

Plastruct's sheets weer Vastly Over Scaled compared to their listing.

Their HO scale sheets Match the size, and pattern on Monogram & AMT 1/32 scale trucks As Exactly as if

Mono or AMT did the work!!

The best thing to do IF Possible, is Look at the product And compare it to a Piece of the Kit you

are planing to use it with BEFORE Buying any.

I don't have a good picture showing this, but, this is what I went through.

I ordered 1/32 & 1/24 scale Tread-Plate through an area Hobby Shop, and was surprised at the extreme

size of the diamonds on them. I went back and ordered the Smaller scale sheets, and found what I needed.

I just recently received 2 sheets of 1/48 scale Tread-Plate from a Scale Firehouse member due to it

being too large for his 1/32 scale MACK Builds.

All the sheets I ordered back then were White Styrene. They are now Tan.

I do not know of anyone else's product. Or what size their sheets come in

• 3 weeks later...

For Accurate 1/25 scale Single Diamond Treadplate, you need Plastruct's

HO-1/87, or O- 1/48 scale sheet.

I know, I have all the sizes they offered, and when comparing them to various kits, found

Plastruct's sheets weer Vastly Over Scaled compared to their listing.

Oh man, you weren`t kidding Dan. I went with the 1/48 scale sheet, and the tread is WAAAYYY too big. It`s atleast twice as big as it should be. Some of the details I have planned wont work with it, so I guess I am going to get the 1/87 sheets too. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks guys. I bought the Plastruct 1/100 scale, which I guess is "HO" scale, before reading your posts. Man, even this stuff is just a bit too big. I think I may be able to use it, but it is just a little too big for the details I had in mind.

• 1 month later...

Don Mills Models ... best diamond plate bar none! He is apparently moving his website but here's a link to his ebay listing:

Was a link to his treadplate but, somehow, ebay morphed it into a needlepoint seller.

Edited by Deano

Don Mills Models ... best diamond plate bar none! He is apparently moving his website but here's a link to his ebay listing:

You beat me to it Dean :lol:

Lane, if you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they sell it too, I believe its in by the Rail Road stuff

Evergreen Does NOT offer Tread/Diamond plate at this time. Plastruct Does, but you have to buy it by engraved size, not scale listed.

I have found that their HO scale is a Good match to the trade plate engraved on Monogram/Revell 1/32 scale Semi trucks, and Some 1/25 scale truck kits. 1/48 'O' scale is likely best for most 1/24 and some 1/25 scale kits.

DO NOT use Plastruct 1/24, it will be TOO Large a Pattern/scale Diamond

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Today I received some of Don Mills' treadplate, and as mentioned a few times above, it's very nice. Each sheet is 4"x8", and you get two sheets per package. I would definitely suggest seeking out Don's treadplate if you need some:

dmtp2.jpg

DMtp1.jpg

Casey are you using the treadplate on a truck? I tried it on a jeep and although the pattern is great, the thickness is way too thick. I've had to sand it from the back side more than 50% to bring it closer to scale. . Anyone out there know of a thinner tread plate? :unsure:

Casey are you using the treadplate on a truck? I tried it on a jeep and although the pattern is great, the thickness is way too thick. I've had to sand it from the back side more than 50% to bring it closer to scale. . Anyone out there know of a thinner tread plate? :unsure:

Yes, I'm using it for the deck of a flatbed, so the thickness isn't an issue. It measures .040" thick (not including the raised diamonds).