Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Hemi NO# 2 Build after 15 yrs

Metalmad

Well this another one I start a couple of months ago & since the Camaro is finished I start back up on the Hemi Dart. The color is Root Beer & the pic does not do it justice. I had to raise up the Hood scope to accommodate the aluminum stacks on the carbs. Reworked the rear wheel tubs for some wider meats and made a different rear end. The interior is just about finished just have to add a few details & a Tach yet.

Also built a custom center console & shifter & the bezel that is over the shifter. Will also be installing front discs & calipers and may try to run the brake lines also & also scratch built a set of traction bars for the rear.

Well have gotten it cleared and the strip on the rear & should have done some research on the rear strip because it's not far enough back on the trunk and as it goes down the sides it is slanted forward a bit.

Edited by Metalmad

Picked up another Revell Hemi kit to use the body & hood for the repaint and will be changing the color also even though I liked the Rootbeer.Plus the 426 in this kit is done really well so I'll be using that for a future build. So hopefully I will be able to get this painted tomorrow since today i did the body clean up & scribed the door and trunk lines & primered the body today.

Well I finally got the 68 Hemi repainted today in Bronze it was Root Beer & the Root Beer just did not look right to me plus when I installed the rear decal strip I laid it down wrong and the rubber band I had wrapped around the front to hold on the frame so I could get the ride height right on the front cut into the paint really bad. Plus I worked on the Lamborghini Aventador Brake assembly's.

Love the color and the soft drink! IIRC, MOPAR made a series of street legal HEMI Darts labeled "Baby Grands".

You're thinking of the 1966 D/Stock Dart. It had a 273 with bigger carb,hotter cam, and a set of headers in them. They never made a Hemi Dart for the street. All LO23 Darts where sold as is and with no titles IIRC. Now you could get a 340 and 383 in the GTS in 68. Then in 69 you could get a 340 in the Swinger and 340, 383, and 440 in the GTS. But no Hemi's.

But back to this model. I love the color! And the wheel choice!

Love the color and the soft drink! IIRC, MOPAR made a series of street legal HEMI Darts labeled "Baby Grands".

None of the 1968 LO23 Hemi Darts were never intended to be street legal. All were marketed for and to be used in 'Rapid Accelerations Speed Trials'

When delivered to the customer , they did have something you 'might' call exhaust system, Wiper arms but no wiper motor , no mechanisims to operate the ft windows, no heater or defroster system. So I don't think they were considered street legal.

And NO warrenty of any kind.

I'm not familiar enough with the earlier 1966 D Stock Darts to comment on them one way or the other. But like mentioned, they were 273 cars and were a far cry from the Hemi Darts