Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Handyman Shorty Wagon - Update

Dave Mikrut

I'm not sure what happened but the photos I previously linked to in Photobucket are no longer there. Rather than reload all that, I'll just remind you it is a shortened 55 Chevy Handyman wagon,, made from the AMT 55 Nomad and 55 2dr Sedan kits. I showed it previously with an example chassis but here is the one I have been fabricating specifically for it. I'm really becoming a nut when it comes to having just the right parts for a project. I've literally spent 2 weeks gathering together the parts for this chassis and the wheels and tires. Later this evening or tomorrow I should be done with the rear tires.

shorty01_zps7f39e05b.jpg

These are the painted 2-piece plastic tires found in the Rat Packer Nova, teamed up with some very old

Shorty04_zps66745b59.jpg

Straight axle is Revell 32 Ford, with home made hair pins. This is a stretched AWB Mustang chassis. Thanks to the ModelKing!

Shorty06_zps97df618f.jpg

I used 2 chassis, cut them offset, you can see the joint where I dowel pinned them together.

Shorty05_zpsf0c5d48b.jpg

Here's the rear wheel. It's made from a painted inner mag, a chrome outer rim and a center cap from the L'il Coffin. Teamed up with the rare spongy AMT Pie Crust Firestones that were in the old 58 Impala kit and were actually used on slot cars by some. They look very authentic. I'll show an updated body shot soon. Everytime I think I'm ready to paint I find more blemishes to fix!

Shorty02_zps31ccab10.jpg

That's a great fit on the chassis, perfect for a "Street Freak" which is what the Shorty / "Stubby" Tri-Five Chevy wagons fit into. None of the sanctioning Drag Racing organizations recognized them as Gassers, they would be classed as Altereds. I remember seeing a few Stubby wagons at the drags, they were relegated to bracket racing, even so they were fun to watch! How many inches in scale did you remove out of the middle? All of the Stubby wagons that I remember seeing started out as four-door wagons that had the doors modified to fit the radius over the wheel wells from the rear of the back set of doors. The way that you are doing it looks like it is going to result in a cleaner look when it's finished. Looks Great!