Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of MPC's Rounded Line Trucks

Fabrux

The '78 annual is indeed the only 2WD version. The Chevy kits weren't done the same as the Dodge kits that had both suspension options.

As for the long bed, I have seen a couple different resin versions and they done look that great. With the upcoming reissue if the 84 GMC it might be better to cut up a pair of short beds, which is what I plan on doing.

I also have the parts and I have cast some parts before but not sure if I can manage to make a cast of these. I do however know a few modelling guys that are very good at casting so I think I can ask them if they want to do it. I see that the major diffrences in my two 1978 kits is the front crossmember and lower A-arms, springs and dampers plus springs on rearaxle. There is also a diffrent driveshaft, different exhaust and the 2wd version has a benchseat.

What of these parts are most important for making a proper 2wd and what parts can be found from other sources? And can these parts also be fitted to the Revell 1:25 rounded line trucks?

The '78 annual is indeed the only 2WD version. The Chevy kits weren't done the same as the Dodge kits that had both suspension options.

As for the long bed, I have seen a couple different resin versions and they done look that great. With the upcoming reissue if the 84 GMC it might be better to cut up a pair of short beds, which is what I plan on doing.

May have to try it...mine has a bench seat too..may have to find a way to convert the tub into one..?  Then there is the Chevy grille issue..?

Some food for thought;

Years ago I was looking at buying a 65 Chevy 2wd pickup as a project and did a good bit of research on updating the front suspension. I found out that the whole front suspension

from a 73-87 2wd was practically a drop in upgrade. Just a few extra bolt holes had to be drilled. The big advantage was going to 5 lug wheels and disc brakes, power steering etc.

With that in mind, the modern Revell 64/65 chevy  pickup kits originally released back in the 90s should work very well to provide 2wd suspension parts for the 73-87 MPC trucks.

Some food for thought;

Years ago I was looking at buying a 65 Chevy 2wd pickup as a project and did a good bit of research on updating the front suspension. I found out that the whole front suspension

from a 73-87 2wd was practically a drop in upgrade. Just a few extra bolt holes had to be drilled. The big advantage was going to 5 lug wheels and disc brakes, power steering etc.

With that in mind, the modern Revell 64/65 chevy  pickup kits originally released back in the 90s should work very well to provide 2wd suspension parts for the 73-87 MPC trucks.

I just checked this out and you are right. It looks like it could work very well. I only dry fitted it now so maybe some minor modification have to be done but it should not be a difficult job. The biggest issue is that the upper control arms and suspensioncrossmember is attached to the frame of the Revell kit so that have to be cut out or fabricated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The more I look at the box art posted on Round 2's site, the more I'm suspecting that this may really just be a quick and dirty reissue of the RC2 era kit, with new retro looking box art (I don't believe this "Deserter" version ever was originally issued in the '80s).

If you look closely at this new box art you will see that they are still showing the goofy panel lines that were added for the Fall Guy storage compartments.  Also, if the box art is accurate, it still has the bumper mounted turn signals, which I believe were 81-82 only, not correct for an '84. (This would also be unchanged from the RC2 issue)

Biggest red flag for me is their repeated description of "oversized" tires.  Sounds like they might still be including the 1/20 scale rolling stock:

http://round2corp.com/product/1984-gmc-pickup-white/

If these are hitting the shelves now, I guess we'll find out soon enough.  Gotta admit I'll probably still get one regardless, since it's the only game in town for an '81+ C/K...

MPC847-1984-GMC-Pickup-final-lr.jpg

The more I look at the box art posted on Round 2's site, the more I'm suspecting that this may really just be a quick and dirty reissue of the RC2 era kit, with new retro looking box art (I don't believe this "Deserter" version ever was originally issued in the '80s).

If you look closely at this new box art you will see that they are still showing the goofy panel lines that were added for the Fall Guy storage compartments.  Also, if the box art is accurate, it still has the bumper mounted turn signals, which I believe were 81-82 only, not correct for an '84. (This would also be unchanged from the RC2 issue)

Biggest red flag for me is their repeated description of "oversized" tires.  Sounds like they might still be including the 1/20 scale rolling stock:

http://round2corp.com/product/1984-gmc-pickup-white/

If these are hitting the shelves now, I guess we'll find out soon enough.  Gotta admit I'll probably still get one regardless, since it's the only game in town for an '81+ C/K...

MPC847-1984-GMC-Pickup-final-lr.jpg

Yep we own a 84 Chevy the turn signals are in the grille same for the GMC version.  I have the Fall Guy kit...same truck pretty much. Now that tere coming out again maybe I can find another bed and frame to try to make a long bed like ours.

The more I look and read about this kit, the less enthused I am by it. I wish it was an earlier version of that generation truck. A '73 or '74 would be preferred. Then there is the way it sits. Too high for a stock GM 4-wheel drive set up. I'm also not keen on the extra panel lines for the Fall Guy storage compartments. Though I can probably fix that with a little body putty. Mainly the tires and suspension height turn me off. It basically can not be built as factory stock truck. I'm sure I'll be passing on this one.

Don't be too quick to pass on it! The lift for the suspension are separate parts from the suspension itself. It can be built with stock height suspension. It's hard to tell from the box art as to exactly what wheels/tires are in it, though. Would have rather seen it with actual picture of what the kit includes.  I do agree with you about issuing it with the older cab. if the tooling still exists. I have seen some resin conversion cabs/grilles cast from the original kits, though I can not speak for their quality or availability (lets just say the caster in question is in and out of the business regularly).

Perhaps interest in this kit will spur Round 2 into repairing the tools for the older versions of this kit, or retooling the parts if the tooling doesn't exist.

• 5 months later...

Here we have another fun installment in kit history. Let's go back in time to 1977: GM's new Rounded Line pickups have been on the market for almost five years and MPC has gotten wind that Monogram is going to be releasing a kit of this truck. Not to be outdone by the competition, the fine folks at MPC tool up a kit of this body style in their best-selling 1:25 scale. They even went as far as including extra parts to build different versions of the truck.

The first offering was released in late 1977 as well as in 1978 in boxes that proclaim first NEW and then 1978, as was their trend at the time with annuals. The depicted truck is a Scottsdale 10 trim, which is the entry level package with little exterior chrome and a bench seat. The bed is a one-piece stepside with opening tailgate. The engine is a standard Chevy small-block, comes with stock valve covers and chromed, finned valve covers, and is mated to a Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission. This version of the kit included two wheel options, side exhaust pipes, high-rise intake manifold with hat, custom grille with quad-square lights, and some wild decals. Curiously, the box art trucks have no mirrors. Molded in white, stock number 1-7814.

mpc1-7814.jpg

The box shows a 2WD truck but I seem to remember someone claiming that this is actually a 4WD; can anyone confirm/deny? Edit: Thanks to 1972coronet for confirming that this was indeed the only 2WD offering!

Next up was a full-on off-road version, complete with bull bar, off-road lights, winch, tow hooks, roll bar, rear-mounted spare with jerry can, and fender flares. Rolling stock included generic spoked wagon wheels with MPC's staple Formula Desert Dog PCV tires. A set of tri-pod, low mount mirrors are included. The grille for this version depicts the 1977-78 style. Molded in red, stock number 1-0416, issued in 1978.

mpc1-0416.jpg

Again in 1978 another version of this kit was released with different decals as the Dust Devil. This version included a set of bucket seats and a console but curiously the engraving remained the Scottsdale trim. Box art shows a stock 2WD version as well as the off-roader but there are no other indications that the kit has multiple build options. Mirrors remain the same tri-pod style.This time the grille was modified with a larger chrome surround for the 1979 model year. Molded in black, stock number 1-0419.

dustdevil.jpg

A third run of the tooling was made in 1978, this time as a Super Dualie (sic). Still a stepside bed, extra-wide fenders cover the extra set of wheels out back. A hood scoop is also included to cover the high-rise intake manifold that returns from the original issue. Also unique to this issue is the heavy-duty front bumper and grille guard. The only grille available for this build is the same custom tube grille, also from the original issue. Mirrors are the tri-pod style. Molded in black, stock number 1-0424.

mpc1-0424.jpg

Sometime in 1979 the tooling was slightly modified to accomodate the new-for-1980 grille, which would end up being a single year offering. This time the kit was branded as the Mule Skinner and was otherwise a straight reissue of the Dust Devil. The tri-pod mirrors carry on. Molded in red, stock number 1-0433.

mpc1-0433.jpg

The tooling was adjusted again in 1980, this time for the new 1981 body style. This involved not only a new grille, but altering the fenders and hood and a new front bumper with integral turn signals. The box art depicts the Scottsdale 10 engraving in the 1973-80 location above the beltline, however the actual kit has Custom Deluxe 20 engraving just below the beltline. The fender flares from the previous issues are included, however they no longer fit the front fenders. The only off-road accessories remaining are the roll bar with off-road lights, a CB antenna, and tailgate mounted spare tire carrier with jerry can. Molded in yellow, stock number 1-0440.

mpc1-0440.jpg

Here we have another fun installment in kit history. Let's go back in time to 1977: GM's new Rounded Line pickups have been on the market for almost five years and MPC has gotten wind that Monogram is going to be releasing a kit of this truck. Not to be outdone by the competition, the fine folks at MPC tool up a kit of this body style in their best-selling 1:25 scale. They even went as far as including extra parts to build different versions of the truck.

The first offering was released in late 1977 as well as in 1978 in boxes that proclaim first NEW and then 1978, as was their trend at the time with annuals. The depicted truck is a Scottsdale 10 trim, which is the entry level package with little exterior chrome and a bench seat. The bed is a one-piece stepside with opening tailgate. The engine is a standard Chevy small-block, comes with stock valve covers and chromed, finned valve covers, and is mated to a Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission. This version of the kit included two wheel options, side exhaust pipes, high-rise intake manifold with hat, custom grille with quad-square lights, and some wild decals. Curiously, the box art trucks have no mirrors. Molded in white, stock number 1-7814.

mpc1-7814.jpg

The box shows a 2WD truck but I seem to remember someone claiming that this is actually a 4WD; can anyone confirm/deny? Edit: Thanks to 1972coronet for confirming that this was indeed the only 2WD offering!

Next up was a full-on off-road version, complete with bull bar, off-road lights, winch, tow hooks, roll bar, rear-mounted spare with jerry can, and fender flares. Rolling stock included generic spoked wagon wheels with MPC's staple Formula Desert Dog PCV tires. A set of tri-pod, low mount mirrors are included. The grille for this version depicts the 1977-78 style. Molded in red, stock number 1-0416, issued in 1978.

mpc1-0416.jpg

Again in 1978 another version of this kit was released with different decals as the Dust Devil. This version included a set of bucket seats and a console but curiously the engraving remained the Scottsdale trim. Box art shows a stock 2WD version as well as the off-roader but there are no other indications that the kit has multiple build options. Mirrors remain the same tri-pod style.This time the grille was modified with a larger chrome surround for the 1979 model year. Molded in black, stock number 1-0419.

dustdevil.jpg

A third run of the tooling was made in 1978, this time as a Super Dualie (sic). Still a stepside bed, extra-wide fenders cover the extra set of wheels out back. A hood scoop is also included to cover the high-rise intake manifold that returns from the original issue. Also unique to this issue is the heavy-duty front bumper and grille guard. The only grille available for this build is the same custom tube grille, also from the original issue. Mirrors are the tri-pod style. Molded in black, stock number 1-0424.

mpc1-0424.jpg

Sometime in 1979 the tooling was slightly modified to accomodate the new-for-1980 grille, which would end up being a single year offering. This time the kit was branded as the Mule Skinner and was otherwise a straight reissue of the Dust Devil. The tri-pod mirrors carry on. Molded in red, stock number 1-0433.

mpc1-0433.jpg

The tooling was adjusted again in 1980, this time for the new 1981 body style. This involved not only a new grille, but altering the fenders and hood and a new front bumper with integral turn signals. The box art depicts the Scottsdale 10 engraving in the 1973-80 location above the beltline, however the actual kit has Custom Deluxe 20 engraving just below the beltline. The fender flares from the previous issues are included, however they no longer fit the front fenders. The only off-road accessories remaining are the roll bar with off-road lights, a CB antenna, and tailgate mounted spare tire carrier with jerry can. Molded in yellow, stock number 1-0440.

mpc1-0440.jpg

I looking for the 78 on top of the post.the maroon chevy stepside ..Where can I find one??

Thx Bubba

I looking for the 78 on top of the post.the maroon chevy stepside ..Where can I find one??

Thx Bubba

They pop up on Ebay from time to time, but tend to go for crazy money. Best bet if you want to find one more reasonable would be to check out the model shows. I've seen them for under $40 (I paid $35 for mine) at the swaps.