Model Cars Magazine Forum

TS-14 tamiya black paint haze - HELP

Ok heres a little back story,

I have a monte carlo that I have been working on for some while. I have had to strip it and repaint it twice because I wasn't happy with the paint.

I have finally gotten it to where it needs to be. Here have been my steps

wash body with soap and water
wet sanding with
600-1000-2000

Primer coats
wet sand with
600-1000-2000

Three light mist coats with taymia black
wet sand with

first wet coat

Tonight I put on the first wet coat and I noticed some hazing/rainbowing in the paint.
I'm kinda freaking out because I don't want to start over again with this body.

I have allowed days of drying time in between each step and have taken my time.
I want this black to be perfect

Any help on this subject would really help me out

Cheers, Mike

I can post pictures if it will help

Edited by 1fine89

Sounda like you have fogging from humidity. I would let it cure a few days. Wet sand lightly and put on a few more coats. Are you painting in a humid area?

I live in Vancouver BC, It didn't feel humid today?

I will take your advice. I think I will get some finer sand paper to smooth it out.

Sounds like too much sanding, and soap & water. Are you trying for a germ free paint job?

Yea, with it being a black paint job I was trying to make the prep work and body perfect. I wash with soap and rinse thoroughly.

When i paint i prep the body then wash and let it dry. Anytime i sand the body i rinse it and use a toothbrush to scrub the body seams and crevises. Once i get to the clear coat stages i use a tack cloth specifically for basecoat clear coat finishes. I only wash with dawn dish soap until i actually start the painting process. I live in seattle so i have to deal with paint fogging and humidity as well. Good luck with your paint. Black is touchy even in the 1 to 1 car world.

tack cloth - thats great advice.

This paint job is personal now. The amount of trouble i have had with it im going to battle it until I get it perfect!

I will try your method rather than washing it with soap eveytime. It will also save time!

Blushing, which can happen when painting with any lacquer in a humid environment. It's not the result of poor or incorrect surface prep, but rather that lacquers can attract moisture from the surrounding air. I see that you live in Vancouver, which is right on the ocean--sounds like that is the source of the high humidity.

Blushing can be polished out though, or when the air dries out a bit,another coat of color,or clear will chase it away.

Art

I also found out by accident that if you clear over the blushing it will disappear. I did this with a metallic paint job. Blushing was the word i was looking for earlier. Good luck with your project hope you post pictures when your done.

Wow I took everyone's advice by waiting, wet lightly sanding then shooting another med to heavy coat.
WOW it turned out amazing! the paint is glass smooth. In fact I have never shot such a smooth paint job ever.

Now the only problem is a piece of lint I picked up during the painting process. Any advice for that? I'm nervous about ruining the shine I have created.

Thanks again and as promised before I will post up once the paint has cured a bit.

Cheers, m!ke

You can either wetsand and repaint another coat or. I would use 3200 through 12000 grit sanding pads or paper grits and sand the dust or lint out and polish using polish and wax i like the novus system. Be careful and the shine will come back. Glad your paint job came out nice and our advice helped. Post pictures when done.

Guest G Holding

Always sand / polish the entire finish...After sanding, you should have a smooth dull finish, use some Novus or Scratch X to bring the gloss back.

Excellent! I just boutght a set of micro fibre cloths to try out on this yesterday. Can't wait to get this all done. It has been a tough one for me. You model car members are amazing, thank you all for the great advice on this one