Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out Of Production Resin & Aftermarket Products

Back in the '90s, a guy offered some phantom funny car bodies. One was a '90-(then) current Mercedes SL. Really cool stuff. I believe he passed away and his stuff is no longer available. I wish I had bought a few of them.

And a few from UMi

2-5-2013UMi_zps8c2e23f3.jpg

The Lola T260 is currently being reborn by a friend in England, Tony Hill. He is also repoping several Formula Canada kits, Lola T70 MK III coupe, Lola T 600, Shadow DN1 and Lola T333, and a pair of Riley and Scott LMP's. He is also working to get the master for the March GTP better known as the Red Lobster March. That one will require significant corrections....

Back in the '90s, a guy offered some phantom funny car bodies. One was a '90-(then) current Mercedes SL. Really cool stuff. I believe he passed away and his stuff is no longer available. I wish I had bought a few of them.

Was it Freeman, perhaps? Any idea where the company was located?

Lets HOPE that The Modelhaus sticks around for a bunch more years. I know that I have a LOT more of their stuff that I want to get as my budget permits.

The rumor is that Don is thinking about a Semi Retirement but his kids are working to take over... That is a rumor I had heard...

Was it Freeman, perhaps? Any idea where the company was located?

No, I'm still alive at this time.

Yes I did a lot of funny car bodies and Mercedes was one of them. I still have most of the masters. I didn't really think anybody was interested any more. I have some new stuff I'm working on that I think is pretty cool. I'm expanding more into replica stock and sports cars but I will still do drag cars.

Freeman Cars is still located in Carpinteria California. Email: freemancars@yahoo.com.

Sam Freeman

No, I'm still alive at this time.

:) Were your ears ringing? :D

Yes I did a lot of funny car bodies and Mercedes was one of them. I still have most of the masters. I didn't really think anybody was interested any more. I have some new stuff I'm working on that I think is pretty cool. I'm expanding more into replica stock and sports cars but I will still do drag cars.

Freeman Cars is still located in Carpinteria California. Email: freemancars@yahoo.com.

Sam Freeman

I was going on memory, as I think you used to run a 1/3 page vertical ad in SAE? I might be thinking of Mad Dog, though...should I add your company name and e-mail address to the Aftermarket Directory post, too?

Good to have you here. ;)

Fremont Racing, did not send any molds or masters or decal art to Reliable Resin, Joe returned many of the masters, to the original makers. He still has some of the old molds that did not wear out. A large amount of the decal art was lost to a computer crash a year or so ago. I talked to him this last week and he said that his Alps printer is no longer working. He did indeed make some great products. Steve Prideaux

Fremont Resin's (who made some great drag racing stuff) more than likely went to Reliable Resin. I have not talked to Joe Curtis (I believe that was Fremont's owner) to confirm this.

Fremont Racing, did not send any molds or masters or decal art to Reliable Resin, Joe returned many of the masters, to the original makers. He still has some of the old molds that did not wear out. A large amount of the decal art was lost to a computer crash a year or so ago. I talked to him this last week and he said that his Alps printer is no longer working. He did indeed make some great products. Steve Prideaux

Here are some of Fremont Racing Specialties' products, including what looks like a Pierson's Brother's '34 coupe in front, a stock '47 Crosley body at the rear, a chopped Model A body, a Bantam roadster Altered body and nose on the left, a '32 Bantam Sedan "The Animal" dragster body, and a few others:

FRSbodies.jpg

'47 Crosley Altered(?) body close up:

FRScrosley1.jpg

'32 Bantam "The Animal":

frsbantam2.jpg

frsbantam3.jpg

I thought that R&R ended up with the Ron Cash Molds.

He did end up with a few of them. Ray ended up casting a few other's products after the original companies closed up. I know he still casts at least one of the old SJS bodies- the '38 IH COE. Unless that wasn't an SJS originally.

Here's what I know.......

Ron Cash passed away several years ago. His wife sold his remaining inventory on _bay a couple of years ago. He was from the Cleveland area. Maybe someone in that area has the masters. By this time any molds would have aged to the point of being useless.

Ron's wife was still selling off Ron's products up until late last year, I managed to get one of Ron's 41 Willy's panel vans, very nice casting.

Where did these molds end up? I thought these were a going concern. Guess I should of bought em when I saw em. I missed their Ferrari Breadvan, Cobra Super Coupe and a few others. Neat stuff.

From what I recall 'bout R&D Unique (the guy that did the Blue Boxed Mini Exotics and last runs of Curbside Dioramics <sp?> along with one or two other lines) is he had some problems and planned on returning to production once things were cleared up. Well it's been a few years now.

I have this Dodge extended cab. I remember when it was available, people were avoiding it because the roof is not correct. It slopes down at the rear whereas the real truck has a roof that levels out, flat.

If not enough people buy the kits and parts, they quit business. I think the Modelhaus is the only one that can make a living at it. Snooze ya lose.

The usual cycle of a resin company... someone learns to cast to do a project. Friends ask for copies. They tell their friends. Next thing you know you are a manufacturer. Many people place large orders. Caster under estimates how much time and money the products really cost him, so he makes little money. Orders pile up and caster gets over whelmed, takes a lot of grief from waiting public and goes out of business.

The big quandary of the resin casting business is that there is much more demand than time to make the product. They go out of business because they can't keep up with the orders. Most guys try to do this after their full time job and it just gets out of hand quickly. The few people who are good business folks have made a long term success of the business. Part of this is having a real place to do the work. I can think of a few casters that have suffered health problems because of the chemicals. I know of a few that got shut down by local officials for the chemicals in a residence. There are strict health codes regarding the handling, storage and breathing of resins. Even the scrap product needs to be disposed of as hazardous material. In short, to do this correctly and in quantity, you will have a factory with employees, rent, utilities, insurance... the full enchilada!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• Xingu pinned this topic