Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maybe I'm stupid. New Photobucket thumbnails

I don't like the way the new photobucket displays thumbnails now in the library. They are cropped, so if I'm looking for a particular detail in the corner or edge of a frame, I have to open the whole pic to see if it's got the particular feature I'm after. It's a waste of time, as the old version showed the ENTIRE photo as a thumb.

Anybody know how to get it to dispaly the entire pic as a thumb??

The available thumbnail settings are only for order, as far as I can tell, and the help section has no help on this topic (as far as I can tell...maybe I'm stupid).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't like the way the new photobucket displays thumbnails now in the library. They are cropped, so if I'm looking for a particular detail in the corner or edge of a frame, I have to open the whole pic to see if it's got the particular feature I'm after. It's a waste of time, as the old version showed the ENTIRE photo as a thumb.

I agree with you 100%. Don't like the "new" Photobucket. Also... when you are in an album, and you click on a photo to see it full size, then you click the back button, you don't go back to the point where you were, you go back to the beginning of the album. At least that's how it seems to be working. :angry:

I repeat. Someone needs to pin a new tutorial on using Photobucket since they've changed it. The old tutorials are outdated and don't look or work the same as the way it's shown in the existing pinned tutorials. This can be very confusing to new users, or those who haven't got the hang of it yet.

As to cropping into a detail of a shot, this can be done on Mac using your cursor and command 3 to highlight the detail you want (like doing a screen shot with command 4, except dragging the cursor to select only a portion of the shot). I have posted the complete procedure several times, but since I'm on Mac, I think a PC user needs to provide a tutorial for the method most members use.

I'm not trying to edit or crop in Photobucket...I do all my editing in my Nikon program before I upload to P'bucket. Nothing is confusing, everything works pretty much the same...the ONLY issue I have is that P'bucket displays a cropped version of my photos in the album /library thumbnails. The full photo opens when the thumbnail is left-clicked, but no combination of right or left clicking will alter the thumbnail, and "help" offers no solution.

I assume the thumbnails are cropped by P'bucket because most users, not being professional photographers, are going to have a lot of useless material on the edges of their shots. Wastes bandwidth.

Because I crop carefully BEFORE I upload to P'bucket, when my shots are cropped FURTHER to display as thumbnails, information on the edges I may be looking for is missing. It comes back when the full photo is opened, of course.

Guest G Holding

The available thumbnail settings are only for order, as far as I can tell, and the help section has no help on this topic (as far as I can tell...maybe I'm stupid).

I checked over 300 images, close ups to landscape...I get 100% on all my albums.

I agree with you 100%. Don't like the "new" Photobucket. Also... when you are in an album, and you click on a photo to see it full size, then you click the back button, you don't go back to the point where you were, you go back to the beginning of the album. At least that's how it seems to be working. :angry:

Not on mine. I went to page 4 and 5 in 3 albums...always came back to the same.

I wonder if as PB is still in "Beta" mode if tweaks are still getting finished.

I also use a wide screen monitor...and see 4 thumbs wide....Any differences ?

I only see 3 thumbs wide. Also a widescreen monitor. What the????

Me too, widescreen, three thumbs wide.

EDIT: Now this is weird. When I open a photo, the little thumbs under it ARE full-frame, NOT cropped.

Other than the cropped thumbs, the more I fiddle with it, the more I like it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Okay, I figured part of it out. If MY crop is WIDER than the proportions of the standard crop, the thumb program cuts the ends off and displays the image with the width proportional to the height. Otherwise it would have to display the full width and add white space at the top and bottom to get the standard proportions. The old version did just that. Still, it displays the full image on the thumbs under the large full image.

How odd.

I repeat. Someone needs to pin a new tutorial on using Photobucket since they've changed it. The old tutorials are outdated and don't look or work the same as the way it's shown in the existing pinned tutorials. This can be very confusing to new users, or those who haven't got the hang of it yet.

As to cropping into a detail of a shot, this can be done on Mac using your cursor and command 3 to highlight the detail you want (like doing a screen shot with command 4, except dragging the cursor to select only a portion of the shot). I have posted the complete procedure several times, but since I'm on Mac, I think a PC user needs to provide a tutorial for the method most members use.

Are you volunteering? I will make sure it gets pinned.

Its not all that hard to figure out, its just a few more clicks to do things on the new version then the old one, I just switched over a few days ago to it, figured why wait tell the last minute.

Do I like it , no, but after a few times using it, its not all that more difficult

Its not all that hard to figure out, its just a few more clicks to do things on the new version then the old one,

That's what I saw, too. Now, why would they take a fairly simple website and make it more complicated? :wacko:

Yeah, we'll all get used to it, but I think "progress" would be making it simpler, not more complicated.

That's what I saw, too. Now, why would they take a fairly simple website and make it more complicated? :wacko:

Yeah, we'll all get used to it, but I think "progress" would be making it simpler, not more complicated.

I have no idea Harry, it was so simple to use, but I guess the new definition of progress is to make things harder to use ,or more complicated

I have not notice what Bil is talking about, but I dont spend a lot time on PB, I upload, get the links, and I am done, I resize all my pics before I upload them

Edited by martinfan5

It looks like they're trying to make it more of a "social media" type site, not just a photo hosting site. They've added a bunch of new features for manipulating photos, adding effects, all sorts of bells and whistles. Hey, as long as it's still free, I'm not complaining! :D

I don't think it's any more complicated, but it does seem more in tune with facebook and Pinterest users, especially with PB emphasizing the "Stories" element.

More complicated, no, but it does take a few more clicks to do things on the new layout, the only thing that I dont like, is having to bring up a pop up menu to get to the links to share your photos, thats my one big and only complaint I have

I will say the one thing I am liking is using the drag and drop method, I know its been around , but it wasnt tell I got my new laptop a few weeks ago that I was able to use it really

I have to agree with everyone about the new photobucket. The issue I seemed to have was the pictures would not be in order by name or date and it placed them iin random spots. I also don't really care for how it puts all the photos on one page. I liked how it had so many per page then went to the next Page. Especially since I have over 700 photos in the album for my army vega funny car I have to scroll for days to get to the pics I want to post lol

I have to agree with everyone about the new photobucket. The issue I seemed to have was the pictures would not be in order by name or date and it placed them iin random spots. I also don't really care for how it puts all the photos on one page. I liked how it had so many per page then went to the next Page. Especially since I have over 700 photos in the album for my army vega funny car I have to scroll for days to get to the pics I want to post lol

I notice that to Chris, I uploaded some photos last night, and the last set of photos I uploaded were not the first that were on the top of the page, weird, and they are all mixed up, I think I uploaded 9 photos, 3 of one subject,and 7 of another one, and they some were mixed up, but they were uploaded in their own groups, no biggie, just some new things to get used to

Guest G Holding

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Isn't that what we said when Gregg upgraded ???

Social media, I Phones,,,need for graphics grads to get a job...I T folks also looking

The site is really the same, I know my photos there, all are safe, whole, untouched. The new album is a lot easier to find stuff as it is set like most browsers, just follow your files..You can still change and edit picture order after the pictures are set. The editor is close to PS...no where as good, but for free, better than GIMP.

Guest G Holding

I only see 3 thumbs wide. Also a widescreen monitor. What the????

I run dual monitors...My 23 inch shows 4 wide, my 19 square shows 3...As the res is the same, play with your settings ?