Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I get blank (1/25 scale) model car boxes?

For storing builtups I've bought that are missing their original boxes as well as promos, I use the 550 count sports card boxes...heavy cardboard w/ folding lid. They are available on eBay and at sports collectibles stores. Pretty sturdy. I've also noticed that several of the better resin casters ship their kits in similar boxes.

$(KGrHqR,!qoE88ffVBP+BPbT!7nkjQ~~60_3.JP

If you are looking for actual model car boxes but blank, I don't know of any sources for them.

Edited by Rob Hall

I think what Rob is referring to is called a "tuck top" box with a folding lid, which you would use for a Google search. Here's one that's close to the dimensions of a typical kit box (9.5"x6.5"x4.25"for most of my Revell kits). These are also great for storing parts, tools and miscellaneous supplies.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-8212/Literature-Mailers/9-x-6-1-2-x-4-Kraft-Literature-Mailers

Edited by sjordan2

That's similar.... I've found the 550 count sports card boxes (I posted a picture) to work well w/ 1/24th and 1/25th scale models...the lower count sports card boxes are too short for full size car kits, and the higher count ones are too long....

Edited by Rob Hall

That's similar.... I've found the 550 count sports card boxes (I posted a picture) to work well w/ 1/24th and 1/25th scale models...the lower count sports card boxes are too short for full size car kits, and the higher count ones are too long....

Yeah, that looks more suitable for built kits. Good tip.

I believe spotlight hobbies has them. 12 boxes for $7.40

http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/one-dozen--12--spotlight-hobbies-model-car-boxes.html

Tom Carter at Spotlight has had those boxes made for years. However, they are NOT kit boxes, but rather duplicate the dimensions of the old promotional model car boxes from the 1950's into the early 1970's. A word of caution, though: Many larger 1/25 scale model car builtups will not fit in them, given that some of the models of larger cars back in the promo days were actually undersized for 1/25 scale (in some cases, reproportioned to fit the standard-sized promotional model car box that automakers demanded.

Art