Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford vs. Black Widow

rmvw guy

Now I'm a total tri-five nut, but I really love the looks of the low-level 57 Ford Custom. Lots of folks don't realize that Ford actually outsold Chevy in 57 (only the 2nd time after WWII). Chevy was on the third and final year of the tri-five platform, but the 57 Ford was all-new. But it's the 57 Chevy that's considered the iconic American car now (I think that the 57's legacy in 60's Junior Stock racing is as big a factor for that than the styling...)

Both are great models and make for a really cool comparison.

Brett makes a great point, Ford outsold Chevy in '57 so why do you never see 57 Fords at shows?. Great models, and indicative of what was on the street back in the day. The Custom and 150-210 were much more prevalent than the Fairlane or Belair.

Nice job on both, like the color combo

Is that and Ivory white, or off white, egg shell white, or a cream color? It's actually Wimbeldon White from Model Masters on the Ford and I don't remember on the Chevy but, I was using a lot of Dupli-Color paint back then, so it might be one of their whites.

Marvelous duo and both so SHINY :) :) :) . Wasn't the Chevy fuelie logo on the front fender though? Jim the logo was on the front fender on the Bel Air model, the Widow had it on the rear fender.

Thanks everyone else for all your comments, I am truly overwhelmed.