Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's up with Revell doing a change up with their names?

I think they're trying to see which name gets a better response. I personally wish they'd gone with Monogram after the merger... When people think "Revell", especially older modelers, they tend to think of fiddly kits like the Orange Crate and Roth stuff. Monogram makes them think of simpler kits like Tom Daniel stuff and the 1/24 muscle cars.

I've seen first-hand as some older modelers talk younger modelers (sometimes dads and sons or grandads and grandsons, but sometimes even total random strangers) out of buying newer-tool post merger Revell kits because they had a bad experience back in the 60's with an Orange Crate or something like that. I can't say I recall ever seeing it go the other way around, though, the Monogram brand seems to have more of an easier-to-build reputation. Of course, anything done since the mid 80's could have been branded whatever they wanted, they were the same company.

It's a marketing thing. Here is what I gather...

The monogram kits are geared toward weekend buyers and younger builders. They are cheaper and seem themed more for that crowd - box top design, etc.

The Revell kits are a little more "advanced" (?) - meaning more for enthusiasts. The special edition versions, etc - and they have a higher price.

Just my dos pesos, though, and I could be way off.

Pure personal, but I prefer the Monogram name, why...well it's my recollection that Monogram always sold quality model kits, be it auto, armor, plane, or ship, where Revell was sort of a mixed bag.

But I might be biased, because I learned to build models, using Monogram brand kits, which were plenty here in my neck of the woods.

Do hope that someday Hobbico, will bring the whole US lineup to Europe under the Monogram brand, shipping kits from the US is becoming much too expensive.

It is strange. Both the Monogram '55 Chevy and Revell '55 Chevy are currently available in Monogram-labeled boxes, for example....

Personally, I'd rather see Monogram-origin kits (which usually are 1/24th) labeled as Monogram, Revell-origin kits (and kits tooled after the '80s merger/aquisition) labeled as Revell, and I guess RoG-origin kits labeled as Revell. Or to simplify, go back to the Revell-Monogram labeling on everything..

Edited by Rob Hall

Most adult modelers today (who built models as kids) have fond memories of the Monogram brand, and they're just trying to capitalize on that.

True enough...I enjoyed building Monogram kits as a kid in the '80s, didn't think much of Revell until the late '80s new tool kits started appearing. But I do think it is weird to see a modern-tool Revell kit labeled as a Monogram.

In a similar vein, I do like how Round 2 is trying to be consistent w/ labeling MPC-origin kits as MPC and AMT-origin kits as AMT.

Edited by Rob Hall

True enough...I enjoyed building Monogram kits as a kid in the '80s, didn't think much of Revell until the late '80s new tool kits started appearing. But I do think it is weird to see a modern-tool Revell kit labeled as a Monogram.

It's all about utilizing whatever power the "Monogram" brand still has to drive sales. I'd be willing to bet it's all about marketing, pure and simple.

I wonder if it's a shifting philosophy on the domestic (US) releases, then. From what I understood - even though staff-wise, the company generally is Monogram, and Revell cars have essentially been 1/25 Monogram cars from around '87 on - they led with the Revell brand after the merger because it had greater global penetration than Monogram did.

Guess they're still toying with all that these two-plus decades on. Seems like assigning Revell all the 1/25 and Monogram all the 1/24 would be the simplest answer, but then what happens? Ya gotta make sure the Revell AG tooling is boxed domestically as Monogram? No wonder even they themselves seem confused...

Also remember many of us here are true modeling geeks (in a positive sense of the word) and while we may know that kit XYZ was released as a Revell subject in 1963 when we see it as labeled as a Monogram today, but to the average modeler it is something 'NEW!!' :)

And some of it is, I'm sure, the same marketing wisdom that drives companies to re-package potato chips, etc, and proudly scream " NEW LOOK !!!! SAME GREAT TASTE !!!! ".

I never got the logic there either. :rolleyes:

They do stuff like that because it works. ;)

It is strange. Both the Monogram '55 Chevy and Revell '55 Chevy are currently available in Monogram-labeled boxes, for example....

Personally, I'd rather see Monogram-origin kits (which usually are 1/24th) labeled as Monogram, Revell-origin kits (and kits tooled after the '80s merger/aquisition) labeled as Revell, and I guess RoG-origin kits labeled as Revell. Or to simplify, go back to the Revell-Monogram labeling on everything..

I might be wrong on this, but I think the very first issue of the new-tool '55 Chevy (convertible w/ Indy 500 pace car decals) was labeled as Monogram. I know for sure it was labeled as a Revell-Monogram during the few years they used both names, but I think the very first run was branded Monogram.

It is weird to see the Revell-Monogram-era 55's labeled as Monogram while the Tom Daniel Badman-based 55 Street Machine is labeled as Revell.

What it is is that they have 3 lines - "Car Show", "Classic Cruiser", and "Dream Rides" that are going to be branded Monogram regardless of the kit's origins. This Willys is part of the "Car Show" line. And the upcoming re-release of the Revell Willys Pickup will be part of the "Car Show" line and branded Monogram as well.

I think the Monogram name gives people more of a warm and fuzzy reaction than the Revell name does.

I might be wrong on this, but I think the very first issue of the new-tool '55 Chevy (convertible w/ Indy 500 pace car decals) was labeled as Monogram.

Could be...I have that kit, don't recall how it's labeled. I do remember the '59 Chevy and '59 Cadillac being labeled as Monogram, even though they are 1/25th.

Guest Johnny

Called grasping at straws! I know a couple people who retired out of companies where they worked on marketing and promotion. They say they they watched the older marketing guys get pushed out by the companies for the "new" " fresh" " younger thinking" college grads who they say are nothing more than "educated guess" people who will never really understand the concepts of marketing or promoting products!(pay attention to most commercials these days, if you can stand it that is)

They said the new guys spent most of their time on line or playing computer games all day instead of the heads together crunch sessions that used to be the birthplace of ideas.

I might be wrong on this, but I think the very first issue of the new-tool '55 Chevy (convertible w/ Indy 500 pace car decals) was labeled as Monogram. I know for sure it was labeled as a Revell-Monogram during the few years they used both names, but I think the very first run was branded Monogram...

That's essentially correct. The pace car was labeled Revell-Monogram, but the very first release in '95 - Coral and Gunmetal two-tone with a Continental kit - was branded Monogram.

When I was a kid, the only brand name that interfered with a kit purchase was MPC- the working front suspension on their Corvettes and the Mako Shark was a bear to assemble. I remember my Dad, sitting on the couch, holding the assemblies together as the glue dried... my Mom did not use spring clothespins :D.

That's essentially correct. The pace car was labeled Revell-Monogram, but the very first release in '95 - Coral and Gunmetal two-tone with a Continental kit - was branded Monogram.

Aha! So the pace car wasn't the first issue, but I was pretty sure there was a Monogram-boxed one. Probably one of those stinkin' donut boxes, too, I bet...