Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's up with Revell doing a change up with their names?

It always seemed to me that they were using the Monogram name on their 'bargain' priced kits and reissues, and of course they kept the name on Tom Daniel reissues. I actually asked Revell about this, and the answer I got was as follows-

There is no hard and fast rule- both brands have made very good, premium kits over the years. But we do try when we can to put a Revell brand on a Revell kit and a Monogram brand on a Monogram kit.

I thought the initial word ... after the merger ... was that the 1/24 scale kits were going to be labelled Monogram and the 1/25 scale kits were going to be labelled Revell. It seemed to make sense at the time.

I thought the initial word ... after the merger ... was that the 1/24 scale kits were going to be labelled Monogram and the 1/25 scale kits were going to be labelled Revell. It seemed to make sense at the time.

Problem was, Monogram started producing 1/25 scale kits around the same time, giving us the '59 Impala, '59 Cadillac Eldorado, '93 Chevy S-10, and '50 Ford F-1 from new tooling, and mixing things up even more. :blink:

I would actually love to see this happen. Not all modelers are immediately knowledgeable of the scales and original brand releases of every kit. I don't know about everyone else but, my general association is Monogram with 1/24th scale and Revell with 1/25th scale. This would allow all buyers to immediately know the scale of a new kit without even picking it up off the shelf.

Round 2 makes everything even more confusing. They release old MPC as AMT, AMT as MPC. It's so bad that I guarantee the most experienced modelers are confused at times. Don't get me wrong about what I am saying here. Round 2 and Revellogram are two industry staples that I appreciate in every way. I just wish they would make everything simplified and straight forward in a way that all modelers can easily understand.

Edited by Skydime

Problem was, Monogram started producing 1/25 scale kits around the same time, giving us the '59 Impala, '59 Cadillac Eldorado, '93 Chevy S-10, and '50 Ford F-1 from new tooling, and mixing things up even more. :blink:

The "problem" started with the merger, IMHO Revell ceased to exist when they moved the company assets to Des Plaines.

Because from then on the tooling models were created by the Monogram workshop, just compare the overall kit design, or a Monogram 1/24 scale '70 Mustang to a '69 from Revell.

Aha! So the pace car wasn't the first issue, but I was pretty sure there was a Monogram-boxed one. Probably one of those stinkin' donut boxes, too, I bet...

Nah the '55 Chevy was one of the first post-merger "Real Car" on the HUGE rectangular boxes. Oddly enough the Pace Car Edition which came next had a model on the box which was dropped after the '59 Caddy, '59 Impala Convertible, & Ford F-250/350 kits (along with the Bugatti E-110 & "BMW" Nazca M12 RoG reboxes) and they went with straight pictures on the box for several new tools/reboxes in those goofy sized boxes which included (and I'm sure I'm missing a couple) the '50 Ford F-1, '56 Chevy Nomad, ('55 Chevy Conv as previously mentioned), Ferrari F-50 Barchetta RoG rebox, '65 Impala & '65 Impala Convertible, '59 Cadillac Eldorado Seville, & '60 Impala. While I'm rambling here, I might add I never even knew there was a Eldorado Seville version of the '59 Caddy until Revell re-popped it in 2004, and I found one at a model show in a larger than normal, but not quite as big box that's similar to the larger than usual clam-shell boxes that the '59 Impala H/T and Pro-Modeler kits were put into, but has a top and bottom like a proper box.

Then they went dumpster diving at Dunkin Donuts scratch 'n dent sale and came up with those God awful cam-shell boxes for several years. They had to have been made out of the diseased offspring of the trees they make single-ply industrial toilet paper out of, because they wouldn't stand up to a strong cat fart let along maintain their shape once you opened them to grok the contents.

Edited by niteowl7710

And some of it is, I'm sure, the same marketing wisdom that drives companies to re-package potato chips, etc, and proudly scream " NEW LOOK !!!! SAME GREAT TASTE !!!! ".

I never got the logic there either. :rolleyes:

They do stuff like that because it works. ;)

I'd like to see more truth on the lines of " NEW PACKAGE WITH LESS IN IT !!! COSTS MORE !!! " B)

I was lucky enough to miss out on the whole donut-box fiasco for the most part. I would have been in my late teens and early 20's at that time and I was far more into girls and golf at the time... Then when I got back into modeling I went on more of a Tamiya 1/24 car and 1/12 motorcycle kick for the first couple years. By the time I was buying Revellogram kits again they were back to the normal boxes. The only one I can think of I got was the first run of the 49 Merc, I know that was in a big flat box, and I do recall it being a donut box, it was at the very least a very flimsy box. My cat laid down in it while I was scoping out the contents and it split open at the corners. I ended up storing the kit in a large freezer bag. I think it might have been the last of the donut boxes, it and the "Uptown" kits have since been redone in standard boxes.

I think it is just a case that the kits being re-released now, that were originally a Monogram kit pre-merger, they are now putting the Monogram name back on. That and part marketing to get the Monogram name back out there as it is nostalgic and flicks that switch in your head that says "hey, I had/built that same kit as a kid....must buy now".